A Few Questions about CTC before beginning....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

A Few Questions about CTC before beginning....

Post by John'smom » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 pm

As I was looking through the manual today I noticed I had a few questions:
1. Reading About History Day 1, the child is suppose to answer at least 1 question in the box. It is an independent box. Am I suppose to go over this in a follow-up sessions with my dc? It doesn't seem quite right not doing so and want to start with good habits.
2. Bible Quiet Time: Do you check and see if they highlight the verses, do you have them quote the verse aloud to you each day? It all seems pretty independent too.
3. Science on Day 3 there are 5 questions to be answered. Last year my ds heard (can't remember from where) that taking an answer word for word from a book is plagiarism. He always tries to put answers into his own words. My dd however does not. He just turned 11(June) and she just turned 9 (July). Which way do you prefer and why? Word for word? In a child's own words?
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

John'smom

Re: A Few Questions about CTC before beginning....

Post by John'smom » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Anyone :?:
Edwena

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:11 am

We are really just starting but I can try!

1)I spot check these types of things.
2)My dd loves highlighting.... I doubt she would skip it. As far as saying the verse.... generally something will come up in life that she'll relate it. We also do awana so she knows and is in the habit of studying verses.
3)As long as they actually answer the questions I don't care which way they do it. Last year in Preparing Jayden didn't actually believe that I checked her work. Some of her answers were "I don't know and I don't want to look it up" :shock: Now she knows I check it... but as long as the answer is actually a real answer, I really don't care if she takes it from the book or says it her own way. She does a mix.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 pm

1) For the research, I usually let them do the research part themselves then during our meeting time, I would ask them the questions and they would orally answer them. I would usually alternate asking the first question to one, the second to the other, back and forth. Sometimes I would have the second child comment after the first answered if they had something additional to add. We usually covered all of the questions in the research this way. It was a great time of discussion about the history for the 3 of us.

2) For the Bible quiet time, I would generally follow-up just to make sure they had done the work. In retrospect I would have them recite the verse at least a few times a week. I think that will aid in the memorization.

3) I never thought about the plagiarism issue in answering the questions. I don't think it is really a problem for them to answer word for word. That shows that they can find the information, however I think restating it in one's own words demonstrates that the concept is understood. I think you can do it either way, but I think if they state it clearly in their own words, they will have better mastery over the subject and retain it better, imho. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:33 pm

John'smom wrote:As I was looking through the manual today I noticed I had a few questions:
1. Reading About History Day 1, the child is suppose to answer at least 1 question in the box. It is an independent box. Am I suppose to go over this in a follow-up sessions with my dc? It doesn't seem quite right not doing so and want to start with good habits.
I started a midpoint meeting time with Riley. We met, and I went through each follow-up with him. For the plans you mentioned here, I asked him the questions and had him answer them orally. I asked him all of them. Depending on the day, I would let some of them slide if we were short on time; if we had more time, I took a moment to help him find the answers to the ones he didn't know. But typically, if he could answer 75%, I called it good. This is definitely a personal preference though. :wink:

2. Bible Quiet Time: Do you check and see if they highlight the verses, do you have them quote the verse aloud to you each day? It all seems pretty independent too.
I had Riley say his verses for me each morning first thing, as he did his Bible Quiet Time in his room while I was doing mine in my room. When he finished, and it was time to get ready for the day, I had him stop in my room with his Bible, and I checked the hi-lighting and heard him say the verses.

3. Science on Day 3 there are 5 questions to be answered. Last year my ds heard (can't remember from where) that taking an answer word for word from a book is plagiarism. He always tries to put answers into his own words. My dd however does not. He just turned 11(June) and she just turned 9 (July). Which way do you prefer and why? Word for word? In a child's own words?
I'd say a mixture of both. I teach the kids to start their answers by putting the question into a statement and then finishing it with the answer. For example, "What characteristics do mammals have that set them apart?" (I am just making up this question :wink: .) Answer: Mammals have different characteristics that set them apart, such as they have hair, they nurse..." So, they reword the question, but the rest of their answer may be more verbatim from what they've read. Again, this is definitely a personal preference. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie

P.S. Pjdobro and I were answering at the same time, and obviously thinking the same things too! :D :D :D Thanks for your answer here too, Pjdobro - nice to know I'm not alone in these thoughts! :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, ladies. They have been so helpful. Looking forward to starting school next Tuesday. :D
Edwena