CTC year at a glance?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alykat8

CTC year at a glance?

Post by alykat8 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to HOD, and plan to use CTC and Preparing this fall with my oldest two boys. I have the Preparing guide already, but haven't purchased my CTC guide yet. Could you please tell me if there is a way I can look at the year's schedule overview or "year at a glance" for CTC? I can see the History as planned in the table of contents, but was wondering what weeks we will be studying the science programs & what he will be learning about in Bible, etc. I'm trying to compare the two years side by side & see how the subjects overlap and/or how I can combine a couple of other "extras" for the boys to work on together. Thanks so much, and I look forward to learning from all of you! :)
Blessings,
Allison

sahervey

Re: CTC year at a glance?

Post by sahervey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 am

Could you combine them in science perhaps? You wouldn't want to combine them in much else, or it would be a repeat for next year for the youngest. Why can't you combine them for whichever guide you already have? Tell me more about their ages/levels.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 am

My two boys are 17 months apart and I combine them. The oldest sometimes does some of the extention books.

Welcome to Heart of Dakota!
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm

alykat8 wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new to HOD, and plan to use CTC and Preparing this fall with my oldest two boys. I have the Preparing guide already, but haven't purchased my CTC guide yet. Could you please tell me if there is a way I can look at the year's schedule overview or "year at a glance" for CTC? I can see the History as planned in the table of contents, but was wondering what weeks we will be studying the science programs & what he will be learning about in Bible, etc. I'm trying to compare the two years side by side & see how the subjects overlap and/or how I can combine a couple of other "extras" for the boys to work on together. Thanks so much, and I look forward to learning from all of you! :)
Blessings,
Allison
HI Allison, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D Here's the short answer - you can see the "Table of Contents," "Introduction," and "First Week of Plans" for CTC here...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/CTC-Introduction.pdf
http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/CTC-First-Week.pdf

I am a little confused, and I don't want to give you off-the-wall, unhelpful answers! :oops: So, please humor me by answering these few questions! :lol:

- How old are your dc, and have you looked at the placement chart to place them both?

- If you are wanting to combine, and hypothetically from my confused state of understanding this, one places in PHFHG, and the other places in CTC, could you just combine them in PHFHG and use extensions for the older of the two?

- Could you share a little about each of the boys' ages, reading, writing, grammar, and math based on the first page only of the placement chart, if you get the chance?

Thanks! I'd love to hear back from you and give you more specific help then! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie