Question on Getting Ready for CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jhperry

Question on Getting Ready for CTC

Post by jhperry » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 am

I was getting our supplies together for CTC and had a few questions. Will anything be added to the history notebook besides the Student Notebook pages? It doesn't seem so by glancing through the guide but just wanted to make sure. Also, what is best to use for the Bible Study/Geography studies (binder, notebook, folder)? I've printed the travel log sheets and maps...could these be added to the History notebook or best to keep that separate? Lastly, I have two kiddos using the same guide so for the Genesis study...would it be wise to print/copy Genesis 1-11 for them to mark up?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

beverett

Re: Question on Getting Ready for CTC

Post by beverett » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:27 am

I am not sure if you have seen this post yet? It is what I used for getting ready for CTC last year. it was so helpful to me. I am running out the door but will come back later and answer your questions more specifically :D :D ...
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

Candice

Post by Candice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 am

Candice

Post by Candice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Thought this one looked really helpful....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12245

beverett

Post by beverett » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Thank you Candice! The second link you gave is the one I intended to post earlier :D :D I was running out the door and was not paying attention to what i was doing :shock: ...sorry about that!

Jhperry,
We did not add anything to our student pages notebook...the only thing it that notebook (which was a 1 or 1 and 1/2 inch binder) were the student pages. Then we had a notebook for Science with page protectors divided into 3 sections (Notebooking, experiments or lab sheets, and questions). We choose to put geography and the Genesis study together in another small binder. I photocopied the maps onto white cardstock and hole punched them to put into the notebook, then we did the genesis projects on white cardstock as well. You could certainly just put these into page protectors as well though. I had 2 children doing CTC together and we just "marked" in our Bibles for the Genesis Study.... but I think it is a great ideas to copy it off and let them mark it that way. Really it is just up to you and what works for your children! :D :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:25 pm

This is really helpful. I plan on starting in August so I should start getting things ready soon.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Thank you so much for the replies! That really does help!!

Beverett, I noticed you did CTC w/extensions. I have the set and was considering using it for my 10 year old son. He can definitely handle the reading level but my question is about content. I know Carrie states that they do contain more mature content for older students so I've been trying to read some for myself to see if I think they will be right for him. So far I've read Within the Palace Gates (I think that one would be fine) and Hittite Warrior (will probably wait another year or two for that one). I know it depends on the child but could you give me your opinion on any others in that set as far as the content maturity level? We don't plan to follow the extension schedule or activities, just bought the set to add some extra reading because he LOVES to read and I liked that they corresponded to the history period.
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM