Have I ruined his reading and math????

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momofjka

Have I ruined his reading and math????

Post by momofjka » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:44 am

All right, from a variety of things (but I will not let them be excuses!), I sporadically worked through RME and math with my 5 year old this last year. :oops: But now I have a 6 yr. old son getting ready for 1st grade and he can barely read and his math is...well, preschool level :( It is my fault, no excuses, but now I am definitely stressing. My other 2 children had gone to a private Christian school for K and both came out fluent, independent readers and able to add and subtract. When I have been diligent to teach him, he has done very well...so it's not a learning issue, it's a mommy-not-being-diligent issue. So...have I ruined his reading and math? Or can he catch up? Is it possible to be really diligent this year and have him be where he needs to at the end of the year?
It's hard because my husband is the administrator at the school where my older ones attended, so I know we both make comparisons not only about where our other children were at for this age, but w/ the kids in the school. Sigh, I guess I just need to know if I can repair my not-so-great- teaching over this last year and get him up to speed or if I have really messed up.
Wife of Jim
Mom of:
Jason (10) PHFHG
Katrina (7) BLHFHG
Anthony (5) LHFHG
Vincent (Born 4/23/2012)

StephanieU

Re: Have I ruined his reading and math????

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Your son is only 6 - so there is no way you have ruined it. There are MANY boys that are just starting K at 6yo these days (especially spring and summer birthdays). HOD doesn't require that they be independent readers until Preparing, which is for 8-10 year olds. As far as the math goes, there is plenty of time to catch up on that too. As far as adding and subtracting go, I think the goal is small numbers with manipulatives by the end of K. And if he catches on quickly, he could learn that in a week without a problem. I would just start making it a priority each day while the others are in school. If you spend 2 hours a day on school work at that age, he will catch up. LHFHG is probably where he will place in the HOD guides, and that one is only 1.5 hours a day as written. You could accelerate the reading and/or math if you want to catch him up to the 1st grade level in the extra 30 minutes a day.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:45 pm

No you have not ruined him and yes he can and will catch up. ;) Many children do not even begin math and reading until age 6-7 in other countries and that was the case not long ago in the US as well. Just start where he is at and begin working on it diligently and he will do fine. :D
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Definitely not ruined! Oh, we are so tough on ourselves as moms - especially as homeschool moms - aren't we?!? :( I applaud your reflection on this past year, and your realization that you have new goals and a new focus for this coming year. I usually spend time reflecting on how the year went at the close of it as well (in all my roles - wife, mom, daughter, teacher, sister, etc. - and believe me, there are ALWAYS ample areas to improve on). :wink: It helps to take a moment to reflect on and celebrate the things that did go right, or areas I feel I 'did the right thing' in. Sometimes those areas are the reasons something else 'had to give.' A year ago, my dad had pancreatic cancer - that had to become a priority. I feel good about the daughter I was this past year. That means I don't feel as good about some other roles I have in my life. :( This year, I can have other priorities, and make some needed changes - and I bet next year, I'll be doing the same thing. :wink:

So, you've done some reflecting, and you have some great ideas of what you want to focus on now for your 6 yo ds. :D HOORAY! I think that is great! :D With multiple dc, often my reflecting leads to a certain child needing me more for this or that, or each child needing me more in one certain area that is different for each of them. Each school year seems to be a bit different. It sounds like your primary focus will be on your 6 yo ds's reading and math this year, along with consistently doing the rest of his HOD school. Super idea! :D I call these things my 'no matter what' things. :D In other words, if everything else is going wrong around me, I make sure my 'no matter what' things get done, and then I let some other things go. :wink: Maybe I make a lot of pizza and hot dogs instead of trying to be the healthier cook for awhile. Maybe the house looks a little less clean. Maybe I survive on a little less sleep. Maybe I don't call my family as much as for awhile. Maybe the b-day party for our sons is majorly low-key. :wink: But my 'no matter what' things - they get done... no matter what. So, you have yourself a 'no matter what' goal! :D

If you would feel better about it - you could start a portion of your 'no matter what' goal now! Like maybe the reading? I think this is an easy one to do, and it packs a big punch of a reward. You could start at a success level place in RME with him, and work on this 20 minutes a day, or if you REALLY want to hit it, work on it in 2 sessions each 15-20 minutes long - one maybe in the morning, and one in the afternoon - spreading them out somehow and setting the timer for the amount of time you choose. :D I think I'd add snacks, stickers, rewards of some sort as incentives for ds too. :D You could also, when he is ready, add in the BOB books (inexpensive, available at most bookstores or online, and easy to read). I used to give my ds a jolly rancher for every BOB book he read to me. Another thing that can kickstart your ds's reading is just having him watch the Leap Frog DVD's - Letter Factory, Word Factory. They are also inexpensive and available everywhere. They are 30 minutes long and are a super way to aid dc in beginning reading success. :D

Maybe you'd rather wait, which is just fine too! :D I just thought I'd mention starting as sometimes simply starting helps me feel good about fixing whatever I think needed fixing right away. It is more for ME sometimes than for whomever I am teaching. :D You'll know best here! I'm also going to share this link, as I tried to share some things that helped me when I hit a bump in the road with each of our dc in phonics...
Phonics Helps, using markerboard to sound out words, etc.:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13088&p=94184#p94184

As far as the math, I think you can wait and start that when you start the whole HOD guide for your school year. 6 yo can be doing an introduction to beginning math skills still and pick those up fairly quickly usually. :wink: But, you could certainly start that low-key now too if it is weighing heavily on YOU. Doing 15-20 minutes of phonics in the morning, and 15-20 minutes of math in the afternoon (just using the HOD guide and working through the math plans) every day would slowly but surely begin building solid skills right away. I am doing this right now with my 6 yo! He cannot take the summer off from these as he is in the middle of being on a roll with them. I know if I stop we'll have to backtrack later (guess how I know that?!? :wink: another child, another goal, from year's past of reflecting :D ). I hope something here has helped, but RUINED, oh no! Not ruined, by any means. Just a new thing to focus on that the Lord brought to your attention at just the right time! God bless!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie