New Here! And Placement Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
coastiewife99

New Here! And Placement Question

Post by coastiewife99 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:25 am

Hello to all,

We are somewhat new to HoD. I used Carrie's first two guides when my girls were little. It has been awhile and I have used mostly history textbooks from Christian Liberty Press beefed up with living books for the varied ages of our four kiddos. The other subjects are as follows--Bible (CLP), grammar (Rod and Staff), science (living books), and creative writing and literature I have taught without a "specific purchased" guide. Other things taught here and there mostly centering around our travels. We are a military family.

Our children's ages are dd14, dd12, ds10 and ds9. I am trying to focus mostly on the needs of my 14 yr old who will be considered 9th grade this year. We have enough from this past year to create a 9th grade transcript but I did not like the science we choose to use and I ended up scrapping it mid year. I supplemented other books but we lacked in lab work. She technically would have been 8th this past year anyway. So...I am looking at the new Geography and it seems wonderful. My concern is not having used HoD in any recent years she may struggle to keep up. She is a very independent learner and naturally picks things up quickly. I have also sensed a real desire in her heart for more "freedoms" in the home. The right kind of freedoms like branching out in her God given talents, more home management and local missions. It could be a good thing for her to be more independent this coming school year. The other option would be to start with Rev2Rev or MtMM (hope I got those right) and progress from there through her four years. I am not sure how to count those as high school credit but I will be using a different science as well as R & S 7.

Now...how about the other 3 kiddos?I really don't want to have to buy 2 packages ($$$$) but I want all to receive the best learning experience possible. I am willing to eat PB&J for awhile :lol: !!

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have done nothing but read these boards and look at HoD books for two weeks!! I have to make a decision and move on! :roll:

Thanks a bunch!

In His Grip,
Kim

jriggs001

Re: New Here! And Placement Question

Post by jriggs001 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

Kim-

Welcome to HOD again! This is my first post on this board, although this will be our 3rd year using HOD :) If your daughter did high school level work last year in everything including science with the exception of lab, science could still be high school worthy depending on the state you live in. Here in Ohio, you only need 3 lab sciences for graduation requirements. So as long as the science had enough rigor and hours to it, it could be counted if it fits in the science categories of your state (ie. physical science, chemistry, biology, A&P, etc). I'm sure the other ladies on this board will chime in. IMO, they are some of the most gracious and humble women in their responses to need of other moms :D

Blessings,
Jill

For 2013-14...
ds 16 - World Geography Guide w/Apologia Physics & lab
ds 14 - World Geography Guide w/Apologia Physical Science & lab
ds 6 - BLHFHG
dd 1 - such a sweet pea!

Have completed: LHTH, LHFHG, REV2REV w/extensions, MTMM w/extensions
For 2014-15...
ds 17 - World History
ds 15 - World History
ds 7 - BLHFHG (Start BHFHG in Oct 2014)
dd 2 - sweetie pie
dd born 7/6/14

Completed: LHTH, LHFHG, REV2REV w/extensions, MTMM w/extensions, World Geography...

coastiewife99

Post by coastiewife99 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks so much, Jill! I appreciate your response.

Kim :D

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 am

Since i Haven't gotten to those guides yet, I am by no means an expert! But, I think you could definitely do 2 guides with all four kids. Here are the options i could see (based on age not skills placement):
Younger 3 in CtC and oldest in Geography
Younger 2 in Preparing or CtC and older two in either Rev2Rev or MtMM

There is a sticky at the top with how to beef up Rev2Rev and MtMM for high school credit, as others have done it. That might be a good place to look to help decide where you want to place the oldest. Once you have placed the oldest, then the others will probably fall in place.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

coastiewife99

Post by coastiewife99 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:53 am

Bumping up in hopes of some more input. I realize it is summer so everyone is busy!! Hopefully with nice sunny weather because we have rain for the fourth day in a row!! :?

Thanks again!

In His Grip, K