Just some reassurance on using HOD...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

Just some reassurance on using HOD...

Post by momof3kids » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Just wanted to share a little personal story about our very first day ever homeschooling and using HOD. After all the prayer and questions, I had really found peace in our decision to use HOD, and Beyond for my oldest for our first year this year. I had been wondering when to start and what would work best, and what kind "schedule" we should follow, etc...but my oldest has been asking daily to start..so I thought today would be the day. Long story short...we have had some trying times lately..with all our farm animals recently being killed ...our children are now scared of everything..and won't do morning chores to take care of what we now have left.....So, it was a very emotional distressed morning just trying to get them to go outside, and wanting to get things in order to "start school". After everyone is calmed down, my son says he want to do school, so we start with the Bible study. the verse was out of Psalms 4:8..saying i will lay down in peace and safety in the Lord. Thank you Lord! this was the exact message we needed, hopefully this will help my children find some peace as well. Also, all my questions and concerns about when, how, if, etc., to school have now been answered. It was such a nice first lesson, and I think a means of the Lord telling us just what we need!
Looking forward to more school days in the Bible with HOD!... thanks ladies...just wanted to share.. :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

Candice

Re: Just some reassurance on using HOD...

Post by Candice » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us.
What a beautiful and purposeful start to your schooling.
The Lord knew exactly what you and your children needed to hear today : )

Candice :D

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:02 pm

That is wonderful you feel at peace with your choice now. We'll be starting Beyond, too, soon. Have 5 units left of LHFHG.
I am so sorry about your animals! How devastating. What happened? We have lots of animals too... horses, cows, alpacas, goats, chickens, honeybees. They're all loved and family. It is so hard to lose one. ((((Hugs to you))))
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 pm

God has used HOD in our lives in so many ways, and well-timed messages from God's Word is certainly one of them!

I am so glad to hear of your blessing, and sorry to hear about losing your animals and it sounds like it has been very difficult on your family. :(
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Mombeck

Post by Mombeck » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Your story was so touching, it brought tears to my eyes. We just started HOD this spring with 2 of our children and we have also been blessed by the Bible verses, devotions, and stories. Every day we are able to apply what we learn to our lives. I can't wait to start school back up but my kids are used to a traditional summer break here in Minnesota, so I'm trying to be patient.

I'm so glad that HOD came into your lives at just the right time! I'll be praying your family. How tragic to lose your animals.
Take care,
Rebecca B.
Rebecca
wife to my dh for 31 years
dd 29 teaching degree
dd 26 college graduate with English degree
ds 20 2 year Associate Arts degree, working to return to college
dd 17 PSEO classes
dd 13 MtMM Fall ‘18
ds 10 Bigger Fall ‘18

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:42 pm

..about our animals.. all chickens and goats were killed by a neighbors pitbull that got through 2 fences :( they were all very upset, but hoping we are are the up swing now...starting school may be a needed distraction. we lost a big investment for us, so hopefully we can replace what we lost in a few months.... :( we are all excited about hs'ing, ...ohh..and wanted to add...when we started our first day, I got out my Bible, my son said, "why are you getting your Bible?" (remember he finished a yr of K in ps..) I told him that was one of the big blessings of doing school at home was that we got to study the Bible!...you could almost see the light going off in his eyes...kind of like he was thinking "oh yeh, why haven't we done that is regular school..." it was such a nice start as I said before, I think God will really be working through using HOD!
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your farm animals! We have just 2 dogs and 3 cats and NINE kittens (would you like a kitten to love BTW?) :wink: and we live on a small acreage (with no barn, which is why we are hoping to find a loving place for some of our kittens). We would be so devastated if something like this happened as well. :(

BUT, on an up note, what a blessing that God used your first day with HOD to bring joy and peace to your day together! I believe 100% that the Lord blesses those teaching their dc with Him at the center, and HOD does that sooooo well! I am happy to say that I am confident you have many, many such God ordained moments such as the one you just experienced ahead of you with HOD! They are little treasures to a mom's heart - we hold them dear. Praying for a wonderful year for you and for healing over the loss of your farm animals!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie