DITHR - repeat 2/3 student book or move on?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

DITHR - repeat 2/3 student book or move on?

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 pm

I will start this by saying that my DD will not finish the DITHR 2/3 by the time she finishes Bigger. We are probably one genre behind our storytime readings in Bigger because we did not start DITHR when we started Bigger, there have been a few times we didn't do it in a day, or something. I know that Preparing only schedules DITHR 3 days/week out of 4. Is it intended they move up to the next student book/level each year or that they repeat if that's still the level they are at? It seems like, since there are 3 levels and I doubt most children would go through them in 3 years, maybe we are to repeat?

My DD can read and comprehend the books very well independently, and while I do sometimes help her reading aloud, I am comfortable with her reading on her own too. But she hasn't been able to do the comprehension work and worksheets in the 2/3 student book by herself. We usually talk through them. So I am inclined to repeat the 2/3 level student book with her again, but I was wondering about using some different projects. Maybe some in the Book Projects to take Home that we didn't do, or I suppose we could do the other options, character activity I think was the other one. Have any of you repeated one of the student books, what do you typically do?
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

lucsch

Re: DITHR - repeat 2/3 student book or move on?

Post by lucsch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:08 pm

We did the 2/3 book twice, once with Level 2 books in 2nd grade with Beyond (I helped her a lot!) and once with Level 3 books in 3rd grade with Bigger. We will do the Level 4/5 book with Level 4 books this year with Preparing. I know it is scheduled half speed, but I have a feeling my daughter will want to move through her books much faster than that.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:17 pm

So did you use different book projects the second time through? I don't know that I want to repeat those, at least not until my next DD is ready for DITHR.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

lucsch

Post by lucsch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 pm

MelInKansas wrote:So did you use different book projects the second time through? I don't know that I want to repeat those, at least not until my next DD is ready for DITHR.
Frankly, I wasn't impressed by the book projects, so we did the other options.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Oh my DD loves the book projects! Maybe next time I will do the character projects first or something and then do the "Book Projects to take home" projects because those are higher on the "fun factor" for my crafty kids.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Yes you can repeat the workbooks that is the intention anyways. My ds used the level 2/3 workbooks for 3rd and 4th grade actually. The first time with some of the level 2 and 3 books and the second with some of the 4/5 books. He reads the books we didn't get to with DITHR during free time and summer reading. This coming year he will use the level 4/5 workbook for 5th and he will also use the same workbook for 6th since we will take two years to get through all of the genres the way DITHR is scheduled in later guides. The difference between the workbooks is really the amount of writing and level of critical thinking.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 pm

As far as projects you can choose one of the other options listed in the DITHR guide, pick some you didn't do yet, redo them but they will be a bit different with different books, or get another book project book.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks for the input for those who are ahead of where I am. I just got a copy of the 4/5 workbook so maybe I will look through it too. We are about halfway through our first run of the 2/3 student workbook, maybe in the next 5-6 months she will grow a lot, but really I think we could do 2/3 level again so she can fully do it on her own and think through them on her own. Then it will be time for her sister to start DITHOR and I am looking forward to when they can both do it, especially the activities and days where you do them all together.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven