Am I crazy to start now??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

Am I crazy to start now??

Post by momof3kids » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:50 am

Hi all! We are excited to start our first yr hs'ing! After much prayer and thought (and questions :) , we are looking forward to starting Beyond with my 6yo for his 1st grade, also picking up LHTH with my 4yo where we left off..got about 6 weeks into....My oldest got out of ps the first week of June, and he is asking almost daily when we are going to start school....we do little stuff like workbooks, cross words, etc...but have not actully started "school" with Beyond yet.....would i be crazy to go ahead and start??....like this week or next??...my original idea was to do about 5 or 6 weeks and take a week break, and go from there forward...i think we have everything we need to start, so i am wondering why wait...?....he has had nearly a month break, so any thoughts..??? :D ..we will probably go on a 4 day a week schedule anyway ( i work one day a week, and looking into a co-op that starts in Sept..) so figured i may get a jump on it, so we are not rushed and just see how it goes since this is our first yr..?
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

MelInKansas

Re: Am I crazy to start now??

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:33 pm

No definitely not crazy. I know a lot of homeschoolers that start in July, while it's hot out and all of the summer activities are either winding down or hold less appeal. School in the morning swimming pool in the afternoon, that's kind of my routine. In fact, this year we aren't really taking a summer break, a week here or there, but not a long one. It's been fine, I don't feel burned out, I guess we will see come October or November how I feel. I think schooling for several weeks and then taking time off, or just being flexible with your time and not being so driven to do it every day during the "school year" even is a nice way to live. Having the guides set up how they are you kind of get a feel for whether you have completed a year's worth. But if you're starting a 6YO in Beyond you also have a lot of flex to slow things down if need be and still finish everything HOD has up to 8th grade well in time.

I'm sure you are probably planning to do this, but you probably need to kind of plan and prepare too, so set your starting date and then get everything lined up and go for it!

Blessings on your journey!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

thegracelife

Post by thegracelife » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:05 pm

We've already started. My daughter told me she was bored, and ready to start school. This is our first real year homeschooling as well! We're almost three weeks in & really enjoying it. :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:18 pm

We school year round. The only reason I haven't started HOD yet is because we are waiting on the new LHFHG guide. But we started phonics and math back in April as soon as we were done with the previous set of material. We take days off here and there when needed, but I don't see the point in not schooling year round for most families.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Not crazy at all. We school year around and our new year starts in May. Once you get out of the "traditional" mode, anything goes. I like to print a yearly calendar and highlight the weeks I know I will take off. Then I plan how many other weeks I want to take off and estimate when they might be. I use the calendar throughout the year to make sure I am on track.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:14 pm

I love the idea of starting now. Then you won't feel as pressured during the rest of the year. You could also go half speed for a while to get both of you use to Beyond, gentle beginning.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh, definitely not crazy! We are starting back with LHFHG tomorrow. I am so thankful to get back into a normal routine. My oldest will not start MTMM because he spends his summers mowing lawns...and I don't want to put him out of work. :D He will be doing math and science, as well as reading. Those things never stop in our family. :D

Happy schooling!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 pm

No I think it is fine to start anytime you want. You might consider doing like 3 or 4 days a week for the summer so you will have time to do some summer things too. ;)
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm

thanks so much ladies!...I think doing 3 or 4 days a week at first is a good way to get started....thanks so much for the encouragement, I feel good about going ahead and starting!
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo