Science in Res. to Ref.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tbarr12

Science in Res. to Ref.

Post by tbarr12 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 am

My son will be 7th grade this fall, and I'll be doing Resurrection to Reformation with him. I'm just wondering about the Science - whether it's "rigorous" enough for middle-school level. I know it uses the Astronomy book, which my nephew just used for 4th grade! Just wondering if I need to do anything to beef it up. Thanks.
Tracey, married to Steve for 13 years
DD 12 - CTC, R&S Math, R&S Grammar 5
DS 10 - Preparing, R&S Math, R&S Grammar 4
DD 7yo - Beyond, R&S Math

Motherjoy

Re: Science in Res. to Ref.

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:39 am

Oops. I totally read that wrong. Sorry.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:22 am

Just judging based on the science in CTC.... the Apologia book at the elementary level is meant to be read to the students and meant to take a semester? Year? I'm not sure on the timing...

But in HOD they are read by the student for a much shorter period of time. It is definitely meaty enough for an older child.

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 am

Actually, I was worried as well, but don't worry. :lol: Not only is it read for 1/2 semester, but I found Carrie's questions, vocab work outstanding in comparison to the Apologia Notebook.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

tbarr12

Post by tbarr12 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:26 am

Thank you, Annaz - that is very helpful, and makes me feel better!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:06 pm

I agree that the science in RTR should be fine for a 7th grader! :D As the other ladies wisely noted, the reading of the science independently ups the level. Likewise, as mentioned, the science requires much more reading than just the Astronomy book (including Child’s Geography: Explore His Earth, Along Came Galileo, Isaac Newton, and Exploring Planet Earth). Tiner alone ups the level immensely. :D Another thing that ups the science ten-fold is the rotation of follow-up skills dc work through after each of their reading assignments...

Day 1: Create a science notebook entry that includes diagrams, scientific terms, and Biblical copywork.
Day 2: Alternate between oral and written narration to retell the science reading.
Day 3: Alternate between oral narration and a choice of written narration topics with accompanying vocabulary work.
Day 4: Conduct an experiment related to the reading and log it in a science notebook or on a copy of the “Science Lab Form” found in the Appendix.

And, for the units scheduling Exploring Planet Earth, students have to answer Tiner's provided questions on Days 1-3. :D

Finally, just the fact that students need to complete all of these assignments by independently reading and following multi-step directions in RTR's Science Exploration box ups the level as well. I LOVED this when my ds did this! He began to realize very quickly that if directions are not followed exactly, experiments go awry and conclusions are wrong. :wink: Nothing teaches following multi-step directions better than doing science experiments (except possibly following a recipe, but then our ds learned that in RTR as well, thanks to some of the History Projects :wink: ). HTH put your mind at ease! I think you and your ds will enjoy RTR's science as much as my ds and I did! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

tbarr12

Post by tbarr12 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Julie - thanks very much - your detailed response was very helpful!