Singapore question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Missy OH

Singapore question

Post by Missy OH » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:45 am

I am not seeing the textbook scheduled in the Bigger guide. Is the textbook not used?

pjdobro

Re: Singapore question

Post by pjdobro » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:05 am

If you use the hands on lessons that are in the math box, then you just do those and then follow-up with the scheduled workbook pages. No textbook is needed. The teaching is done through the hands on lessons. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Mombeck

Post by Mombeck » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Which Singapore math level are you using? Bigger schedules activities to accompany 2A/2B. If you use 1A/1B you can use the Beyond guide. If you use 3A/3B you will need the textbooks. Sometimes it's nice to have the textbooks anyhow but the activities are great!
Rebecca
wife to my dh for 31 years
dd 29 teaching degree
dd 26 college graduate with English degree
ds 20 2 year Associate Arts degree, working to return to college
dd 17 PSEO classes
dd 13 MtMM Fall ‘18
ds 10 Bigger Fall ‘18

Missy OH

Post by Missy OH » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:30 am

I've used Singapore for 10 years for six dc, but I'm new to HOD. I'm used to teaching with the textbooks so it feels odd not to use them. I'm specifically looking at 2A/2B for Bigger. I assume then that I'm not missing it and the texts are not scheduled in the guide, but it still works ok if I want to use the texts and add the hands on activities?

Happy Fourth of July! We have record rain fall expected in our area for the fourth, but looks like there will be a small break long enough for our community parade. Lots of good food planned for today. :D :D

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:06 am

You are right, the text is not scheduled, and yes you could use the text and activities therein but there are activities written for you in the Bigger guide. These activities are usually better geared towards a home environment. But if teaching from the textbook is easier for you since you are already used to doing that, I suppose it does not hurt to keep doing it that way. Happy Fourth to you!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven