Moving up in DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jagshaugen

Moving up in DITHOR

Post by jagshaugen » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi there. My daughter just finished 4th grade with DITHOR and we truly loved it! We finished the 2/3 student workbook while using the level 2 bookpack.

I have a question regarding how she will move up now- for her 5th grade experience.

Will she will need the 4/5 student workbook? And if so, what bookpack would we purchase- the level 3 or level 4 bookpack? There seems to be a bit of an overlap and I don't want to have either books that are below or above her reading level.

Thanks for your help, as always!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Moving up in DITHOR

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 am

Hello!

I'll just move your post to the Main Board where more moms will see it. All new posts begin on the Main Board, which is why you haven't received any responses yet! :D

I'd love to answer you but we're in the heart of my busy writing season, so I'll let the wonderful ladies on the board help you.

Blessings,
Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:30 am

My guess would be that she would be ready for the level 4/5 student book and either level 3 or level 4 books. But this is easiest for you to think through since you know her best. Were the level 2 books challenging for her, or pretty easy by the end? You already have the DITHR teacher's guide, so look through at the level 4/5 activities and think about whether your daughter is ready to answer those questions and do those activities. I know for my daughter, who will be finishing 3rd grade by the time we finish DITHR 2/3, I am considering doing 2/3 level again with higher level books, but I guess we can see when we get there.

You will want books for her to read that are pretty easy for her to read, she shouldn't struggle with understanding them. This allows her to do the higher level analysis in DITHR.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 pm

MelInKansas wrote: You will want books for her to read that are pretty easy for her to read, she shouldn't struggle with understanding them. This allows her to do the higher level analysis in DITHR.
Really? I didn't know this. Where does the challenge for more advanced reading come in then? Just curious as I am about to pick our books for DITHOR for this year.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:39 am

My oldest just finished 4th grade and is doing DITHOR 4/5 student book with level 3 readers. She's not a strong reader.... reads right at grade level. I pick the books that are fairly easy for her to read for two reasons, 1.)I want her to enjoy reading and 2.)I want her to be able to think about the DITHOR stuff instead of the actual reading.

My second is starting 3rd grade, is also right at grade level with reading and is doing level 2/3 student book with level 2 readers. Same reasons as above.

They get their challenge in reading with their free reading and with their history/science once they are in Preparing and up.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Maybe that was just a recommendation I read for a child who is just starting DITHR. Reading can be such a chore for them, and there is a lot more work that goes into DITHR and it's difficult to analyze a story if there's a lot of new vocabulary and difficult concepts to understand. Maybe when you get to higher levels you need more challenge, and I think that definitely applies if you feel your child is borderline. I actually ended up choosing some books from level 2 and some from level 3 book pack for this year and it has been really good.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven