Question about BHFHG & PHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inHistiming

Question about BHFHG & PHFHG

Post by inHistiming » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:40 pm

I am trying to decide which program I want to use next year. I know, I start early! I would like to be able to combine my (then) 8 &10 year olds in one curriculum. I am wondering about future currciulums. This year we have studied a lot of other countries, and only historical fiction for the U.S. We will be finishing the history books from BLHFHG, so there will be some U.S. History background. My son has learned quite a bit of U.S. History because of his time in "school". What I'm concerned about is my daughter. If we use PHFHG, I know Carrie has said it focuses more on World History. Will future curriculums cover more U.S. History, or should I use BHFHG before I try to use PHFHG in order to lay a better foundation for U.S. History? Does that make sense? I don't know if it really even matters. What do you think? I'm hoping for a specific answer from Carrie on this one too. Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:34 pm

inHistiming,

Preparing Hearts for His Glory really has a world history focus. It only covers American history within the scope of world history. The 4 guides that will come after Preparing Hearts will also have a world history focus. So, Bigger Hearts is our full-blown American history overview. Beyond Little Hearts does give a feel for early American history but doesn't cover the scope of American history like Bigger Hearts does.

That being said, I always feel it is more important to have the right level of reading, writing, and the rest of the language arts area, along with the right level of math rather than doing the exact historical time period I desire. But that is my personal opinion.

With an 8 and 10 year old, you could do either Bigger or Preparing Hearts. Both have extension packs that you could use if needed. I would take a good look at the areas of language arts and math and see which seems to be a better fit. Think about how much writing your kiddos are ready for and also how independent they are ready to be. Bigger Hearts is a step up in the writing area from Beyond and Preparing Hearts will step up even more.

Then, I would look at the books in both programs and see which appeals to you and your kiddos more at this stage in your lives. We will have the Preparing Hearts packages up on our website by the end of January or early February and also will have it added to our placement chart by then, so those will help with your decision.

I'm hoping the other moms will chime in here with their opinions too.

Blessings,
Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:53 pm

I usually start thinking about next year around Christmas break as well! :D

The thing that drew me to HOD in the first place was the focus on Am. History FIRST. So many others focus on chronological history, and as I was reading Carrie's FAQ's and her reasons for doing Am. History first, I found myself saying...yes....this is the route I want to go. I would probably try to make Bigger work *if* I could (esp. if you're just finishing up Beyond).

That being said, there are also benefits of starting history in chronological order if you go with Preparing. Linda Hobar (author of Mystery of History) believes that it is imperative for us to understand the reformation and religious persecution in Europe to fully understand the thinking of our founding fathers when this country was established. (She does a MUCH better job of explaining this than I!) In other words, going in order helps us to see where certain ideas were "coming from". (I just don't necessarily believe that K-3ish? are up to that level of understanding.)

My $.02! :wink:

Carrie- I can't wait to see Preparing on the site!!!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:45 am

I lean more towards seeing where your kids are in language and math, rather than the time period studied. I am currently using Bigger Hearts for His Glory with an 8 and soon to be 10 year old, and I am finding it is quite enough work for them! I am using Rod and Staff English 2 with both of them, and actually have trimmed the written work for my younger daughter by doing most of it orally or on the white board, because she is not ready for so much written work. I am using Singapore Math, and by using their placement tests, found that the older daughter placed in level 3 and the 8 year old placed in level 2 (unless you are already using Singapore, usually kids coming into it from other programs place "below" grade level-I put that in quotation marks because Singapore Math is quite ahead of most programs). I find it convenient that Carrie has written activities for level 2 and a schedule in the appendix for level 3. For reading, my younger daughter is using the Emerging Reader schedule and finishing up phonics with an inexpensive workbook, and my older one is using Drawn into the Heart of Reading level 2/3 because I did not feel she was prepared for the level of independence required by level 4/5. Finally, I am using the Extension Package schedule for the older daughter, and finding that sometimes I must read with her because the reading is so "meaty" that sometimes she needs my help. I encourage you to use Carrie's placement suggestions in deciding which curriculum level to choose-if you want to be sure, wait until she puts up the chart for Preparing Hearts for His Glory, too. I hope my comments help you with your decision-making process.