Bridging the Storytime Gap Between Guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommybelle

Bridging the Storytime Gap Between Guides

Post by mommybelle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 pm

We started back full-speed with LHFHG this week after a long sabbatical due to morning sickness, vacations and VBS. We actually ended today by starting the left side of Unit 13.

For the right side, we are ahead in the guide. With Math, my plans are to just purchase the Beyond guide for the hands-on activities when we finish the lessons in LHFHG. And for the Fine Motor Skills, she will finish the K options by Sept 1, so we will just begin the 1st grade options at that point.

So, my question is in regards to the Storytime box...we are currently on Unit 17 for Storytime (compared to Unit 13 for the left side of the guide). Beginning in September, we have one activity scheduled on Wednesday morning that will only allow us to do the right side of the guide on that day. And when the new baby arrives in November, I am hoping to at least continue the right side of the guide daily while putting the left side of the guide on hold.

Since we'll be ahead with Storytime, would it be feasible to just pick up the Storytime activities from Beyond once we complete LHFHG? Or does the Beyond Storytime activities closely relate to the left side of the Beyond guide? And if we did that, would it make sense to repeat those same activities scheduled for Storytime in Beyond once we reach Beyond but with a different book (maybe girls selection instead of classic selection)? By looking at the example on the website for the 1st week of Beyond, this seems feasible to do. For example, we could read two biographies from Beyond instead of just one. But I wasn't sure if this would actually work in later weeks.

I'm just trying to decide if I should cut back on our Storytime readings in LHFHG. I just think it is so important to build these skills in reading comprehension, and I'd prefer to use books recommended by HOD. And, my daughter's favorite part of her school day is Storytime!

I hope this all makes sense! Thanks for any of your thoughts!
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/

lucsch

Re: Bridging the Storytime Gap Between Guides

Post by lucsch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 pm

I would try to get yourself back on track so you are doing both left and right sides together. Slow down the right side until the left side is caught up. There is no hurry, and Little Hearts makes a wonderful 1st grade program (and do we really care about grade levels?). You could do boxes from two different guides, but what a shame, when HOD is meant to be open and go. Also, story-time in Beyond is genre based, leading into understanding the concepts taught later in the reading program, DITHOR, so you really wouldn't want to skip over that.

When we first switched to HOD in Beyond, my dd's skills were all over the place--ahead in reading, behind in oral narration, right on for math, way beyond in spelling. At first, I supplemented and changed things to make it work. Now, after 3 years, we are on track, and I am so happy to be able to start a guide this fall and use it exactly as written! I wish I'd just accepted the easy parts in Beyond and enjoyed the time with my dd. I guess I was so eager to prove that I could teach her at home that I really pushed her hard--unnecessarily so. Little Hearts and Beyond are gentle, but believe me, in a few years it ramps up to be quite rigorous. Hitting those guides too quickly may frustrate all involved.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:51 am

I think for Storytime you could spend the next couple of weeks reading aloud another History lesson, during the time you'd normally use for the storytime box. That would bring ahead the left side of your plans to match Storytime. We don't use Singapore at our house for math, so I never worried about where we were in any subject on the Right Side of the plans, however, I think if I were in Singapore, I'd be inclined to agree with the previous poster on keeping that area together with the rest of school, just because it drives me crazy to use 2 separate guides for one kid. :shock: :lol:
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:15 am

mommybelle wrote: Since we'll be ahead with Storytime, would it be feasible to just pick up the Storytime activities from Beyond once we complete LHFHG? Or does the Beyond Storytime activities closely relate to the left side of the Beyond guide? And if we did that, would it make sense to repeat those same activities scheduled for Storytime in Beyond once we reach Beyond but with a different book (maybe girls selection instead of classic selection)? By looking at the example on the website for the 1st week of Beyond, this seems feasible to do. For example, we could read two biographies from Beyond instead of just one. But I wasn't sure if this would actually work in later weeks.

I'm just trying to decide if I should cut back on our Storytime readings in LHFHG. I just think it is so important to build these skills in reading comprehension, and I'd prefer to use books recommended by HOD. And, my daughter's favorite part of her school day is Storytime!

I hope this all makes sense! Thanks for any of your thoughts!
Yes, I would just pick up with Beyond Storytime when you finish LHFHG Storytime. Then when you get to Beyond for History and everything else just do girl interest, or classic. Whichever one you did not do the first time. You could even read all 3 packs, boy, girl and classic if you have time.

I think you are right on track with your thinking. Storytime is a really important time. Many teachers will tell you that if you want a good reader then YOU need to spend time reading outloud to your child. You still will not hit any other guide before its time.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:33 am

Mommy belle,
My dd finished LHFHG and started in Beyond. She will start back up in the fall. I would say to only do the math from Beyond as the storytime and other boxes are related to LA. Part of directions in ST are to write sentence that dc has orally narrated and teacher has written down. This skill is way more advanced then LHFHG ST to fill in the blank area of the sentence. I have seen it suggested on message board to get the BeYond guide for math but not for storytime. Did you do all of the activities in the storytime box? It is more than just reading the wonderful stories. If the follow ups aren't done then the skills addressed won't be either so dc will have gaps in skills. Carrie is "sneaky" by gently providing a skill that isn't apparent until later. It may just look like something that can be skipped but in hindsight is a necessary prep for more advanced skill level. Storytime is preparing for oral & written narration & deep thinking. Reading is an important skill but perhaps you can find some books in the appendix to read while keeping that ST box as is.
When I went through LHFHG I did both K & 1 grade fm skills. I had dc do each book each day. My dd strengths are in fm and math not language, using Beyond for math. Enjoy the gentle pace of these 2 guides because as PP stated they do get more difficult and time consuming. When are you due? Blessings on your new baby.
Tammy

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:31 am

We love the Burgess books so much that I bought several more that aren't scheduled. It's easy enough to follow Carrie's plans to continue the same general kind of daily activities/extensions... writing a sentence... asking some questions... doing some physical play or acting out...
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Beyond storytime is by genre, so they don't directly relate to the History.

There are tons more Burgess animal books, just get another one when you finish all the scheduled storytime books to fill in your gap. You could ask your kids which animal they'd like to read about.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:04 pm

I agree with the previous ladies that acquiring more Burgess books is a great idea! That's a huge reason why I chose HOD, was b/c they use those books. Many are free for e-readers, if you have one. We plan to read through the Burgess Bird book and do a study on birds, which is really sweet for this age range. I personally would not move onto any books in Beyond until you are in Beyond, so that it's open and go for you. That way it will flow for you much better once you are in that guide. Just my humble opinion. I'm sure that many of the ladies here will have other excellent book suggestions for you, if you choose to not pursue more T. Burgess books. One of our favorites for our faith is "Storytime with the Millers" and all of their other books. My DS5 loves them! This may also be a great time to read Winnie the Pooh books, Charlotte's Web, any of the great classics that aren't part of the older guides. The Adventures of TumTum and Nutmeg have been a huge hit at our house...very sweet and fun, I only suggest that series because many people haven't heard of it and it's one not to miss!
Blessings to you in your storytime choices....
ashleigh
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:11 pm

mommybelle wrote:...So, my question is in regards to the Storytime box...we are currently on Unit 17 for Storytime (compared to Unit 13 for the left side of the guide). Beginning in September, we have one activity scheduled on Wednesday morning that will only allow us to do the right side of the guide on that day... I'm just trying to decide if I should cut back on our Storytime readings in LHFHG. I just think it is so important to build these skills in reading comprehension, and I'd prefer to use books recommended by HOD. And, my daughter's favorite part of her school day is Storytime!...
Storytime is a special part of the day, for sure! :D I am thinking that to avoid feeling disjointed, and to embrace the delight of just opening your guide and using it without lots of unnecessary planning and flippity-dee-doing :D , I'd just read another Thorton Burgess book or 2 for a month, until you catch your Unit 13 up to your Unit 17. :) You can just read a chapter a day, and pattern your questions after the ones noted in the LHFHG plans. Then, when you reach Unit 17, you can just follow the plans, which will be so nice to do.

As far as when you have the baby, I do understand needing to slow things down for awhile. Those little ones do take some time - though they are worth every minute! :D For this reason, I'd suggest completely taking off a few weeks (or up to a month if you have a cesarean or difficult recovery :wink: ), and then when you resume school, just going half-speed for awhile with everything, except for phonics. :wink: The reason for this is the flow of learning all of the subject areas and the specific skills associated with those subject areas will not be so interrupted then. So, in history, for instance, the flow of the chronological order of the history will continue on, albeit every other day, as will its accompanying skills such as art projects, dramatic play, and critical thinking games. Likewise, science readings and their accompanying experiments that correlate with the history will continue to flow, though every other day. The rhymes, the Bible study, Scripture memorization, large gross motor skills, devotions and discussions, discussions of the meaning of the Bible verse, and music will also continue to flow, though every other day. :)

This will give a needed balance to the day that is more consistent, and it will also mimic a mini-version of Beyond Little Hearts... - excellent and necessary training for what is to come! It may not seem like it, but these skills and working on them a little at a time - even at a slower pace - help dc have a well-rounded academics approach to their schooling. If dc begin to think school is only about LA and math and their accompanying workbooks, they have a difficult time transitioning into a full-blown school day later on - and often they say "I just want more workbooks! That's how I learn best!" Really, this is not the case most times, but in all actuality they realize workbooks = less schoolwork, less difficult assessments, less deep thinking and hard work, less subject areas to learn about, and more play time or free time. :( Plus, it is through the subject areas that are not workbook oriented that I find myself really connecting more with my dc. These subject areas are where we discuss things and do things together, and this helps keep our relationship during school close. :D

I wanted to mention this as you have a precious little babe on the way, and doing the guide half-speed will help you maintain some heartfelt time with your LHFHG dc at a time they will be longing to still have you - a little bit - to themselves, as well as help you use the guide more in an open-and-go format. It will also add nice balance and consistency to the days, keep them moving along in all the subject areas, and prepare them well for Beyond Little Hearts. :D HTH! May God bless you and your little one to come with good health, happiness, and love! :D :D :D

In Christ ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie