Advice on High school science for my daughter

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sahervey

Advice on High school science for my daughter

Post by sahervey » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 am

I am looking ahead to my daughter's high school education and am needing help with what to do. She is going into 7th grade. She is almost 13 years old. She has an August birthday and we started her when she was 5, almost 6 years old. Anyway, my first year of homeschooling, we had little money and I combined all three of my kids into BHFHG. She was in 5th grade and did the Extensions. Now that combining isn't a good option because of skill levels and content, I'm skipping CtC with her and putting her in Res to Ref. I think skill-wise, it'll be just perfect, and even a bit challenging, which she needs.

Anyway, I am using General Science from Apologia for her 7th grade year because I don't think she's had that. She did BHFHG science as written and we did Apologia's Swimming Creatures last year. If I could skip General Science with her and do Res to Ref's science, I would like that. I'm just concerned about not having a general science under her belt. So, that's question number one I guess.

Question number two is what I should do for the remaining years. She will be doing the World Geography Guide as a 10th grader. Will that mess up her science credits? According to HoD's plan, she would only be taking the following:
8th grade with Rev to Rev: Physical Science
9th grade with MtMM: Intro to Chemistry
10th grade with World Geog Guide: Integrated Physics and Chemistry (Physical science)
11th grade with the next guide: HoD's plan is Biology with Anatomy
12th grade with the guide after that: Chemistry

Is this enough science? She only need 3 for our state: Chemistry or Physics required, then Biology, Adv. Bio, Earth/Space, Physical.

I guess it's enough, but is this what you'd do? Or would you scrap General Science and just have her do Res to Ref's Earth Science?

Sorry so long-winded. :oops:
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

Robin

Re: Advice on High school science for my daughter

Post by Robin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi Amy,
I have tried several attempts at using Apologia's General Science with different kids and never did get more than 2 modules in because they hated it so bad. On the other hand, the Apologia books that are used in the different HOD guides the kids have all loved. I believe the younger grades are written by Jeannie Fulbright and the older grades are written by Jay Wile. The CtC guide would be equal to Life Science, which is in the General Science and the Res to Ref would be equal to Physical Science--except it all has the CM style of learning science versus textbook style. I have an almost 12yo dd just starting CtC and it is quite a jump in ability. It again seems to jump up their ability when you go to Rev t Rev. Because the higher levels weren't written yet I use the CtC through MtMM for my HS kids with the extensions and beef it up for them. The human anatomy is the killer when they get to HS and never had any exposer to it. So I wouldn't skip her because there are a lot of skills that it eases them into to get ready for the higher learning. Also those next for guides are in chronological order for history. The science is just so beautifully woven in it's a shame to skip in my opinion.
Robin
using: LHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Are you saying that I shouldn't skip CtC for her? Without modifying it to death, how would it be enough for a 7th grader?
Amy
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:22 pm

My oldest two boys completed Apologia General Science. I would be hesitant to do it again in 7th grade. I might do it again for an 8th grader if I needed a science-filler for a year. However, I don't love it. It is OK. It got the job done. I would just do the science that is in the HOD guide that you have chosen for her. You are already jumping a guide, so I wouldn't throw that and a new science book her way. If you felt she needed more, she could always read science books that interested her. Master Books has some wonderful ones. If you want a more personal experience, I did assign some of it to my next daughter when she was in 8th grade. I quickly agreed to just let her do the HOD science.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Robin and 8arrows, thank you so much for answering my questions....and making me re-think my science for school starting on Monday! :wink:
Amy
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

Mombeck

Post by Mombeck » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:05 am

My daughter turned 12 this spring as we started HOD CtC. She will continue using CtC all next year for 7th grade. We are doing the extensions and the science as written. She had been working a grade ahead prior to starting HOD this spring and while she easily places in a higher guide, I thought she really needed the Biblical Ancient History in CtC. She is also working on Rosetta Stone German and Thinkwell Math Pre-Algebra along with her Piano studies so her days are very full.

We started with Rod & Staff 5 but will move her up to 6 this fall as 5 was too easy. She has already had sentence diagramming in the past. My daughter says she loves HOD CtC and it was the right decision for her coming in new with HOD. I guess that I feel you can have your study go as deep as you want it to when it comes to history and Bible. We have had many deep discussions and have enjoyed all the books and audios. We are thoroughly enjoying CtC and I would have hated for her to miss it. :)

There is always so much to consider when choosing placement. I wish you the best as you decide.
Rebecca
wife to my dh for 31 years
dd 29 teaching degree
dd 26 college graduate with English degree
ds 20 2 year Associate Arts degree, working to return to college
dd 17 PSEO classes
dd 13 MtMM Fall ‘18
ds 10 Bigger Fall ‘18

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:17 am

There are many situations to ponder , that is the blessing of hs. Since if I have read correctly you are set on starting RTR on Monday stick with the science in the guide. It is plenty for a 7th grader. The science advances skills from previous levels by requiring written narrations(8-12) sentences every other week, alternating on the other weeks with a written vocabulary definition and 5 sentence narration.
Carrie has all the directions clearly written for dc to advance in this area. This is an excellent writing and higher thinking skill, while tackling a more difficult subject (science). This prepares dc for high school science. IMO I wouldn't use the General Apologia as other ladies have pointed out. I have used middle school & high school Apologia books having graduated 2 from high school so nothing against the books. My ds is enjoying HOD science living books, but science is more than just reading books. HOD approach is truly preparing dc for advanced science. Each week after kiddo reads they complete the following on day 1)notebook pag, day 2) oral narration or definition/5 sentence written narration, day 3) 8-12 sentence narration or oral narration, day 4)lab and write up. Now that makes a complete approach to science!
Without trying to confuse you just telling you a fact (per their website) the lab from World Geo guide can be used with General & Physical Apologia science. So, I am thinking that will truly be a full year when dc gets to that. Though World Geo Guide uses different reading than Apologia.
I think if you stick with HOD plan you will have a dc ready for high school science by completing RTR as written. IMHO the difficulty with high school science is the math in chemistry and the advanced reading, so if dc is at skill level for grade in math & reading they will be prepared. It seems those are the areas to make sure are solid. Enjoy your year in RTR! My ds will also be starting in the fall. Praying for a blessed year for you & your family.
Tammy
Last edited by chillin'inandover on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Tammy, thanks so much for responding. I think I will ditch general science and stick with HOD's choice for Res to Ref.
Amy
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger