Combining 3 1/2 yr old and 5 yr old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
nena3927

Combining 3 1/2 yr old and 5 yr old

Post by nena3927 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:46 am

My son (5) will be starting LHFHG soon and I can't decide what to do with his younger sister (3 1/2). We are fixing to start lesson 4 in the reading lesson, and she is doing as well (or even better) than her brother. I can't believe how fast she is picking up on reading! They both learned their letters and sounds about a year ago watching The Leapfrog Letter Factory. She is also writing very good for her age and the only thing she is not as comfortable with is Math. Right now she can only recognize numbers 1-4 but does well with those numbers as far as counting objects and circling the correct number and also writing them. I know I want to combine them in the future but really don't want to this year. I guess I just believe she needs to be a kid (she's 3 1/2!) and do not want to push her into Kindergarten Work yet. I have the Rod and Staff Preschool Workbooks that we do occasionally and she is finished with the 3yr old set (first 4 workbooks) and is fixing to start the ABC Series. Any advice will be appreciated! I guess the reason I am torn is because I KNOW I want them to be combined NEXT YEAR when she does start Kindergarten and I feel like if I don't combine them this year, I won't be able to then. Please help lol! Thanks so much!
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

StephanieU

Re: Combining 3 1/2 yr old and 5 yr old

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 am

Have you through about doing something else for the 5yo this year and then doing LHFHG next year with both? Maybe do the K phonics/reading and math with the 5yo from LHFHG but not the left side. To "replace" the left side, have you done LHTH? We are doing something like this for our younger two. We will take two years to cover LHTH with my now 2 yo and 3.5yo. The 3.5 yo will start phonics and math at 4 or 4.5, and then we will start LHFHG when they are 4 and 5.5.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:36 am

Thank you very much Stephanie for sharing! We have not done LHTH. I have rod and staff preschool books which seemed to work so great at preparing them for Kindergarten, I didn't think we needed LHTH. I know my 5 yr old is really ready to learn and thought he might get bored with the LHTH. I have never thought though about doing the "right side only" with ds with LHFHG so that maybe an option. Its a hard choice because either way I go, I feel I'll either be holding ds back with LHTH, or pushing dd a little with LHFHG.
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:43 am

We started LHFHG when dd was 4 yrs 4 months and ds was 5 yrs 10 months. We generally do the guide about 3 days a week, but I have the oldest do math, reading and writing 5 days a week. I let dd do reading and writing those days if she is interested but don't require it. This has stretched the guide out to a year and a half and it has worked great. We have a couple weeks left of LHFHG and will start the Beyond guide this fall (dd will turn 6 in October). Since ds has moved ahead in the basics, he is 3/4ths through the Beyond guide for math and spelling and will finish the ER's this summer and start DITHR this fall.

So, if your dd places in the LHFHG guide and you can wait a little bit before starting at a slower pace while letting your oldest move ahead in the basics, I think it's doable to combine them sooner rather than later. If you are worried about a full LHFHG day being too much for your youngest, you can do half speed by doing the left side of the plans 1 day and the right side the next either 4 or 5 days a week. This would slow it down even more.

One thing I have learned is that dc are not necessarily as advanced maturity wise as they are academically. I am glad we have taken this relaxed approach with the first guide as my dd definitely needed the extra time to mature before the next guide, even though academically the work is easy. HTH
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:58 am

nena3927 wrote:Thank you very much Stephanie for sharing! We have not done LHTH. I have rod and staff preschool books which seemed to work so great at preparing them for Kindergarten, I didn't think we needed LHTH. I know my 5 yr old is really ready to learn and thought he might get bored with the LHTH. I have never thought though about doing the "right side only" with ds with LHFHG so that maybe an option. Its a hard choice because either way I go, I feel I'll either be holding ds back with LHTH, or pushing dd a little with LHFHG.
A lot of families just do math and phonics at the K level. That is what we did last year. Now my oldest is 5.5 and going to do LHFHG along with Horizons 1st grade. We will probably move to emerging readers too before we are done with LHFHG. If ds is being pushed with math and phonics, I bet he won't mind the "basic" things in LHTH. He could always skip some of the basic stuff like the letters (have him work on his handwriting instead), but I think the Bible material and arts in that level will be fine for a 5yo boy.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:51 pm

If you want to combine them I would have your 5 year old do the K phonics, math, handwriting, and fine motor skills books from LHFHG this year. The 3 year old can continue doing the R&S ABC books that are not used in LHFHG. You could also get LHTH to do with both of them. It is fun and doesn't take much time. I also add in picture books to LHTH. I let the dc that is doing it pick one per day. Then when the younger is ready to start K he/she would do the K options and your other dc would do the 1st grade options along with LHFHG. I do not combine any of my kids so your other option would be to do LHFHG with the older and then your younger would start when he/she is ready after turning 5.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Twoxcell...how long is your school day having your children all in different guides? The main reason I wanted to combine my older two children is I didn't think I would be able to teach 3 different guides at once. I guess another possibility is to combine my 3 1/2 year old dd with her younger brother (age 2) instead and do LHTH with them and just let her continue with "The Reading Lesson" because she REALLY loves it. Then I could do LHFHG full speed with my 5 yr old. Too many decisions...although I am thankful to have so many wonderful opportunities with HOD :)
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm

The ladies are doing a super job of chatting through ideas with you. :D I'd love to hear about your ds and your dd with the placement chart in mind. That will really help determine the best placement overall! Could you please share about the reading, writing, and math for each of them with the placement chart in mind when you get the chance? The truth is, you could just as easily combine your 3 1/2 yo with her younger sibling as with her older sibling. I'd love to know more about your ds in particular, but also your dd. Then, we can give specific advice for your family that fits well! Here is a link to the chart...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Julie! My ds places perfectly in LHFHG according to the placement chart and dd does too except for the math. Currently they both are doing great with "TRL" but we are only on lesson 4. They both write well and can write all their letters, their names, and 3 letter words but I will say that dd has a more difficult time with the lowercase letters...she prefers to write everything in capital letters. DS has completed the Rod and Staff A, B, and C books (I stopped there since the other two are used in LHFHG) and can write all the numbers, we are working on counting to 100 but he does need help, he can do simple addition/sub to 10 with pictures or Cusinaire Rods, and can do "what comes after __ or what number comes before___. DD has just finished the Beginning Series with Rod and Staff so they have only covered numbers to 4, she can write them, count objects and circle the correct number or paste items under the correct number. I doubt that she would ready for addition/sub yet. She loves 'doing school" and often asks to do multiple workbook pages, whereas my ds does really well but it takes more effort to get him to do his work. I guess thats about it. Is there any thing else you need to know? And thank you so very much to everyone for all your suggestions!
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Well last school year we were starting between 8-9am and ending between 2-3pm. Some days we finished later than that and other days earlier. This includes a lunch break/recess and a short time of morning basket(artists study, composer study, Spanish, and Catechism) in addition to the HOD guides. :) We do seat work first(Bible, Math, Grammar, Phonics, Dictation, Hymns, Poetry, ER's/DITHR, Copywork, handwriting, fine motor skills, Independent Science and History etc.) followed by morning basket and lunch break. After lunch I have each kid come in my room one at a time for me to read to them starting with the youngest. We finish up all other work after that.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 am

Wow! Your an inspiration to me! Thanks for sharing your school day. I'm so nervous thinking about when all 3 of my dc will be in school. But I try to remember that through Christ I CAN do ALL things :)
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks everyone so much for all your suggestions! I think I am leaning toward doing LHTH with both my 3 1/2 yr old dd and 5 yr old ds and then the right side only of LHFHG for ds. Then next year they can both do LHFHG... my dd with the Kindergarten options and ds with the 1st grade options. My question is would I have to buy the next TG to have the 1st grade work scheduled or is it already scheduled in the LHFHG TG? Thank you!
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 am

The 1st grade options for LHFHG are scheduled in the LHFHG guide. However there are some things, the Emerging Readers plans - reading program for children who have finished basic phonics and can read pretty well, it's a great transition into independent reading, and spelling lists, that are in the Beyond guide and not planned into LHFHG at all. If your DS is doing the R side of LHFHG with K options this year, and if he progresses well in reading and writing this year, you might want to consider getting the Beyond guide to have those two things to add into his school work. There are two years worth of spelling lists in Beyond so he could do List 1 for his 1st grade year and List 2 for his 2nd grade year. After Emerging Readers you would start DITHR or another reading program with him, that is not tied to any of the guides, but the dictation, which is what follows the spelling lists, is in the Bigger teacher's guide. I hope this is making sense. :wink:
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 pm

While the 1a/b math is scheduled in the back of LHFHG, you will want the Beyond Guide for Carrie's great hands on math activities for that level as well as the spelling list if your oldest is ready for that. Also, you will want the ER list in the back of the Beyond guide once your kids finish TRL.

You will not always need to work out of two guides when combining. Hands on math activities are only scheduled through Bigger and there are multiple math levels as well as spelling/dictation scheduled in the guides.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Ok thank you ladies for letting me know! I definitely want Carrie's hands-on math activities for 1st grade so that answers my question about ordering the next guide. Good to know that I won't ALWAYS have to work out of two guides though. :)
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond