DITHOR help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sted

DITHOR help

Post by sted » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 am

I have been lousy at following through with DITHOR the one year I used it. My biggest struggle was not having read the books my daughter did. Then when we looked for connections from scripture or character, while she usually did okay with it, I struggled to "come up with the right answers" especially when they weren't always clear. I would love to hear from other users about how DITHOR works in their families. I love the HOD programs and really want to make DITHOR work for us as well :)

Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

lucsch

Re: DITHOR help

Post by lucsch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 pm

The first two years we used it, we used it along with Beyond and Bigger, which has genre based story-time and initiates discussion about many of the same elements. So, I could easily pull out an example from the read-aloud story-time book, even if I hadn't a clue about her book. I think the important outcome is that the student is thinking about it and analyzing it.

It looks like the Level 4/5 book will be more independent. After doing the first few years with her, I think my daughter will be prepared to do Level 4/5 on her own, now.

Just my experience. :D
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x