Missions to Modern Marvels Extension Readings

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StillJulie

Missions to Modern Marvels Extension Readings

Post by StillJulie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:46 pm

I've been reading these in my leisure time to decide what I will require of my oldest for school next year. In about the last month, I read Friedrich, Six Days in October, Hattie Big Sky, and I'm not quite halfway through Revolution Is Not a Dinner Party right now. I am feeling overwhelmingly discouraged by all the evil perpetrated by people on other people. :( the Jews, the Germans, the Chinese...

Can someone tell me that it isn't so bad when it's put in the context of the whole M2MM package? That with the Bible study, DITHOR, etc. all this evil will be balanced out? That we'll see hope and God's love?
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Missions to Modern Marvels Extension Readings

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

We aren't to mtmm yet, just rev2rev so far. But we've been doing hod since 2008. What I've seen in each level this far is pointing to our Hope, and Christ, and a turn around of the poor character as an opportunity to highlight the proper character and virtue (so basically, like a what would you do instead, based on God's Word). There have been many times something negative in history has been followed by a compare/contrast this historical figure with Jesus/bible truths/this bible history figure/etc. so kids can see man does it this way, God would have us do it this way.

Carrie has always managed to intertwine the biblical truths and Hope we have in Him in all our lessons. Harley isn't all happy, but it has been hopeful when learned the way HoD has taught it. :) I would say its safe to assume mtmm is no different.

Pardon my typing and poor grammar/typos. I'm on my phone. ;)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I saw this and just had to reply. I can so relate to your feelings. I just recently have read through the entire Extension Package in just a few weeks' time to prepare for my daughter reading the books. She is a very sensitive reader and I always pre-read things for her as she struggles with anxiety. I, also, struggled with all of the evil and sin in the world portrayed in the books. Some of the books are hard - especially Revolution is Not a Dinner Party was a hard one for me (my daughter won't be able to handle that one). That is why I pre-read them. If I feel she cannot handle a certain book, I just remove it from the list for her. Remember, Extension books are optional and are to add to the study of the time period - and they certainly DO do just that. I feel that my understanding of those time periods was greatly enriched by the reading of each one of the Extension books. And as an adult I can handle it. Some kids can handle the books and some kids aren't ready yet.

BUT... and this is really important. I am also reading through each and every History reading scheduled for the M2MM year in the Guide. I am about 2/3 through right now. Adding in those readings makes all the difference. In fact, yesterday I had several hours just to read (a big rarity, I assure you!) and I was incredibly encouraged, strengthened, and challenged in my faith as I read. In fact, I was kind of on a high for the rest of the day due to reading of the faith of believers during this time period. It is just so beautiful. I was so convicted about my own lack of faith and lack of joy in my daily life - even though I have everything I could ever need in America right now. So, YES, to answer your question - the struggles, the sin, the evil perpetrated on others during this time IS balanced out by the acts of faith and goodness being accomplished by believers all over the world during this time period. The Hero Tales books and Rescue and Redeem are just invaluable in this. When you are reading JUST the extension books, you might feel bogged down - BUT when you add in the whole program, you will see the hope woven throughout. Carrie is so good to be so intentional in doing this. That is why I trust HOD when studying a time period like this. I can't imagine studying this time period from ONLY a secular perspective. I hope this encourages you. :)
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for your reassurance. I should have known that's the case. Those readings have just had my heart so heavy. I wish people wouldn't be cruel just to be cruel.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade