PHFHG alternative to Heaven's Heroes?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
nikidust

PHFHG alternative to Heaven's Heroes?

Post by nikidust » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:09 am

We have already read Heaven's Heroes, and Hero Tales (very similar) in the previous 2 school years. Does anyone have any suggestions for something we can use in its place next year in PHFHG? This will be or first year with HOD and I really don't want to repeat a book we just read, if possible. Would it be ok just to skip it? I'm not sure how big of a role this book plays in the flow of the curriculum. I don't want to leave us without a Bible lesson, though, if this book takes that role.

Thanks,
Nycole

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: PHFHG alternative to Heaven's Heroes?

Post by Carrie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 am

Nycole,

We actually don't schedule Heaven's Heroes in any of our guides, however we do schedule Hero Tales in Preparing Hearts. Hero Tales is one of the "spines" within that guide, and as such is coordinated with A Child's History of the World to give a view of missions in the world at the time of the events discussed in history. :D

Books play varying roles within our guides, depending on how they are scheduled. This particular book plays a pretty key role, so I wouldn't forego it unless absolutely necessary. :D Depending on the age of your student(s), perhaps when you get to the readings from Hero Tales (since they are later in the year), your student(s) could read Hero Tales to themselves (instead of you reading it aloud). Typically, Hero Tales isn't hard to read, it just contains some difficult life lessons that often take discussing. :D

With thin in mind, I wouldn't want to entertain possible replacements, as it would give our board readers the idea that this particular book is easy to replace. In this case, it isn't (as it is an integral part of the history study). Each guide has only a few key resources used for the history study, with others playing a more supporting role. This one is a key resource.

We're glad you're here and pray that Preparing Hearts may richly bless your family. :D We just completed Preparing for the second time this spring, and my third little guy took so much from it! We hope you will enjoy it too.

Blessings,
Carrie

lucsch

Post by lucsch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am

We read that book and also a couple of the other books in Sonlight's K. I'm just planning on reading them again. For us, I'm sure my now rising 5th grader will get more out of them than the first go-around in 1st grade. Looking through Preparing's guide, I understand what Carrie is saying. It will give us a different perspective on the readings, for sure.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm

I would just re-read Hero Tales.

Now for a quick OT. At the pool swimming yesterday my oldest son told how Amy Carmicheal once wanted to have blue eyes and prayed for them. But, while working as a missionary she realized that God made her with brown eyes and brown hair for a purpose so that he could use her to go into the temple and rescue girls. He was telling this all to my MIL who was very impressed. I was very impressed. It's been a month of more since we read this. :D
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:37 pm

We read through Hero Tales with our co-op this year, plus DS has read many of the "Christian Heroes Then & Now" books which were about the same missionaries in the Hero Tales book. We still read Hero Tales as scheduled in the guide and he never made a peep about repeating it. It's not scheduled until like halfway through the guide, anyway, and the stories are spread out.

There are some great lessons to be learned so I think it is a great book for a re-read.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

nikidust

Post by nikidust » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. I got heavens heroes and hero tales mixed up. We read both the last two years, but I still have them. I don't have a problem repeating if the books are important in the flow of things. I just didn't know how big of a role it played in the year. I'll just dig it out and use it again. :)

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Well it's not like you'll reading the book cover to cover. Different parts of the book are scheduled with different sections, infrequently enough that even if you have read it before, it will be a good review.