New to HOD, question about 7th grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
InHisGrace

New to HOD, question about 7th grader

Post by InHisGrace » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:48 pm

I am looking at Creation to Christ for my 7th grader for next year. He has grown up with Abeka grammar. Should I continue this for him next year or put him in R&S 6th grade? Do I go with all the CTC recommendations for him, regardless of his grade level? The reason we're doing CTC is that we're finishing up 1850 - modern times and have not done ancients.

So, I'm looking at 6th grade Rod and Staff and The Exciting World of Creative Writing since that is CLP's 7th grade and up text, as opposed to doing Write with the Best. Why would one be a better option over another at this point, or are they both about equal? He's had writing instruction, we've done dictation and copywork and all that, so he's not coming into this without the necessary skills. I just don't want to backtrack but want him to keep progressing. Thank you so much!
Married 20 years, dd (14), ds(13), dd(9), ds(5), ds(2)

4Hispraise

Re: New to HOD, question about 7th grader

Post by 4Hispraise » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:45 am

Here are my thoughts:

Grammar: I am not familiar with Abeka, but we love R&S. If he has a good grasp of the parts of speech and can diagram sentences, I think he could handle R&S 6. I am thinking ABeka is a really strong program, so he would do fine. We jumped in there & my son did great.

Writing: I can't really speak to why one is a better option than the other. No help here! I usually look at the program to decide if what is being recommended will work with an older student. If it will, then I follow HOD recommendations because Carrie has carefully thought through and planned the progression from guide to guide - and the bonus for me is that it is already PLANNED in the guide, making my life simpler :D .

CTC is a great place to start if that is where he fits on the placement chart skill-wise. If he is above skill level & you still want to complete CTC, you will definitely want him to do the extensions. They are scheduled in the back of the guide. I can tell you, our family LOVED CTC. It was a great year of study! And, we completed it with most of the extensions.

HTH!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:58 am

I can tell by the great questions you're asking that you've really done your research :wink:

Now, I can't speak to CTC and its components, as we haven't gotten there yet. I'll let the pros tell you all about that! :D

But I do know from reading posts here made by the author, Carrie, and her sister, Julie, that placement based on a history period you want to study is not recommended...unless he fits solidly there on the placement chart as well. If you can use the extensions to make it challenging enough for him, then it will be great! I hear such wonderful things about CTC! But if he will not be challenged enough, he'll be bored and hate it. And if you have to modify it beyond recognition for him...it would probably be easier to use a more advanced guide and just add in a study of the ancients on the empty 5th day, KWIM? :D

How do you feel about his placement based on his skills, such as reading, writing, math, grammar, etc.?
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

Mombeck

Post by Mombeck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:04 pm

My daughter started CtC this spring to complete 6th grade and we will use it for most of next year. Truthfully, I selected CtC as my daughter had not had ancient history in years and never from a biblical view. My daughter works ahead of grade level so I feel I can attest to the vigor of this course. If you add the extensions, I guarantee your son will not be bored! We have been loving the books that Carrie selected, such as The Golden Bull. From the Bible prophecies to the art projects incorporated, it is a new adventure every day and we look forward to it.

The beauty of HOD is that you can select some of your own courses to suit your child. My daughter had never done Rod & Staff before so I purchased level 5 and it is really too easy for her. However, in looking over the book and completing the first 1-2 units, I've decided that I really like the Rod & Staff grammar and will continue using it. I just need to pick up level 6 before fall. We are also enjoying Write with the Best but you could very easily swap that out with the writing program of your choice. Same with math, you may use whatever math program you like.

These first 5 or 6 units of CtC have been so enjoyable, it's hard to put it aside to enjoy a little summer. I'm a little selfish in my encouragement to you, as I would love to have other 7th graders in the same guide as my daughter next fall. We have no regrets in our decision to start with CtC! :)
Rebecca
wife to my dh for 31 years
dd 29 teaching degree
dd 26 college graduate with English degree
ds 20 2 year Associate Arts degree, working to return to college
dd 17 PSEO classes
dd 13 MtMM Fall ‘18
ds 10 Bigger Fall ‘18

InHisGrace

Post by InHisGrace » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Thank you so much for the replies! 4Hispraise, you have no idea how much I have researched! Mombeck, thank you for your encouragement also! I do need to weigh the various options. I think I have struggled this year more than any other in making decisions for next year! I spent an hour at the HOD booth at my state's convention looking at everything and talking with Julie. I love what I saw, love their heart and philosophy, and I think I'm scared to make a change. HOD would be soooo different from what I've been used to for the past 9 years. I've used Sonlight for years, just the history, reading, and readalouds, and I "know" SL and it's comfortable, but I'm just not feeling a peace about it for next year. My heart is really drawn to HOD, but I'm just nervous about how much of a change it will be! And I really need to evaluate everything we'd be doing to know that I made an informed decision. Do your kids also "love to learn" with HOD?

Restinhim, thank you also! I have looked at the chart, and I am wondering if we should do the next timeperiod (can't remember the acronyms Res - Reformation?) I asked him what he'd like to study and he did say knights and castles! I do know that with what we've done, we've not gone into nearly the same amount of specific skill building that HOD does. Each subject is pretty disjointed, we check them off, move on and look forward to our favorite part which is reading science and history together! So, since those are his favorite times of the day, I'm afraid of messing that up!
Married 20 years, dd (14), ds(13), dd(9), ds(5), ds(2)

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:31 am

Just wanted to encourage you: We came from four years of SL. My ds LOVED all the reading & history...but for us, honestly, this has been such a good change. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES HOD so much more. It has really been a blessing to our family. You could always choose to use some of the same books with DITHOR that he might read in SL. We do that occasionally - especially any that I think, "Oh, I really did not want to miss that." For the most part, he loves to read, read, read...so, I provide lots of reading material outside of school. I had to do that with SL, so it is nothing new!

Wherever he fits best on the placement chart is the BEST place to start, regardless of time period. It sounds like you have thoroughly checked that out! Praying for God's wisdom for and leading to the right curriculum for your family!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory