Supplies for Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kzacarkim

Supplies for Bigger

Post by kzacarkim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Ladies,
I'm going to start Bigger with my son this coming fall and I'm just wondering if anybody has a list of the supplies needed for the year. Also, how do you organize all the art projects and activities done. I'm not the greatest when it comes to organization :D So if you have done Bigger before, what helped you keep organized?
Thanks!
Karla
Mommy of
Marcus Leon (9) 4th grade
Andrew Lucas (7) 2nd grade
Larissa Ranae (4) Preschool Stuff
Abby Nicole (2) Our toddler in residence

Isaiah 33. 6

glperky

Re: Supplies for Bigger

Post by glperky » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 am

Oh Karla, I am glad you asked theses questions. I'll be watching for great replies! :D
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi!
This post by Julie/my3sons might help:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531

I viewed this and started out very similar until we could find what worked for us. It wasn't too different.

For the papers and activities done, I have them organized in a binder (small) or a file (larger). At the end of the year we choose best/favorites to represent school year. Then we take a picture of the rest for a scrapbook - this year I plan to get a yearbook printed - and give or throw away.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Julie's post is the best tips on how to organize everything. I did use bound journal type notebooks for my DDs history and science notebooking, because it was supposed to be unlined and so that's what I had. But plastic sleeves with regular unlined copy paper in them would work great!

As far as supplies you need here is a list just off the top of my head, it's certainly not complete:

pencils (we also have colored pencils and do the art for notebooking with those) and erasers
a really good pencil sharpener
index cards
file folder for the timeline
paints and paintbrushes (we either use acrylic or Crayola washable paints depending on the project)
construction paper
art paper (good for painting on)
scissors
school glue
clay - I usually just use homemade play dough for the clay projects, we don't keep them
salt
food coloring
string
tape
a yard stick and meter stick (or stick with both), or sometimes a tape measure is better
wax paper

I am sure there are other things. As you can see from this list they are either all things you would already buy as standard school supplies, or things you have around the house already probably. I have also found very handy my globe and two large maps I bought, a large world map and a large U.S. map. You could get by with just the U.S. map for Bigger Hearts because it is U.S. History so that is the one we have mainly used. I keep my maps rolled up and bring them out and put them on the floor when we are using them but you could hang them on the wall, I actually heard of one family that had the map on their dining room table with glass over it so they could always refer to it.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

kzacarkim

Post by kzacarkim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks TrueGRIT! What an awesome thread! and thank you also MelInKansas , that's gonna get me to a great start!!!!
Karla
Mommy of
Marcus Leon (9) 4th grade
Andrew Lucas (7) 2nd grade
Larissa Ranae (4) Preschool Stuff
Abby Nicole (2) Our toddler in residence

Isaiah 33. 6

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:35 pm

I can't see that full link to Julie's post, and I can't find it with the search function. Can someone repost it?
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Mommy4Him

Post by Mommy4Him » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Hopefully this link to Julie's post will work for you.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531

Blessings,
Mary in CO