Dug up some of my old books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Yen

Dug up some of my old books

Post by Yen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:18 am

Hi,

Just dug up some of my old books from my mom's house, and I was wondering if I could use these as read alouds for my ds, he's 5 this year and using LHFHG. While he doesnt really need extra read-alouds this year as he's getting his feet wet with the burgess books, I guess I can't really stop planning for next year haha!

Anyway, would appreciate anyone's rough estimate of what age any of these books could work for... I guess im hoping i could actually put what i have to good use with school :lol: the books I found were the following:

1. Heidi
2. Little women (unfortunately, ds is a boy hehe so not really too sure about doing both Heidi and little women in the same year)
3. Good wives (ditto here haha)
4. Oliver Twist - this time I'm guessing he would like it, but I was a little turned off by the summary about the "satanic" guy mentoring Oliver. Any thoughts?
5. The little prince - is this even considered a living book? :shock:

Other books are those by jostein gaarder, this Norwegian writer known for his philosophical novel "sophie's world." He has a book called "solitaire mystery" which was a bit like Alice in wonderland, which I enjoyed in college, so I'm not sure if it would work for grade school or high school kids.

And other books I've loved which gave a good storyline for biblical events are those by gene edwards, "the chronicles of the door," which includes "the beginning," "the escape," "the birth," "the triumph" and "the return." I currently have the return, anyone has thoughts on these?

Thank you very much ladies! :)
Yen
Ds5 LHFHG, fIrst year homeschooling
Ds1 (loves joining in rhymes in motion)
http://filipinohomeschoolingjourney.wordpress.com

MomtoJGJE

Re: Dug up some of my old books

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 am

Bear in mind that my girls do not particularly like being read to....

-I tried to read Heidi a couple of years ago? Maybe early last year, and they did not care for it really... they got bored with it.
-*I* don't like Little Women so I'll just let them read that themselves if they choose. I think it'd be fine to read, but I"m not sure they'd really get it.
-Never heard of Good Wives.
-Oliver Twist... hmmm... I read it in Jr. High. But we were doing a Dickens unit. So we were actively studying the book. I think I would try reading it, but I wouldn't make it part of school. I would just have it be a read aloud like at bedtime.
-The Little Prince... hmm.. I can't remember that one. Seems like I saw that in one of the book sets, but that could have been a long time ago, or it could have been The Little Princess :shock: I just can't remember.

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:53 pm

We just listened to the Heidi audio book in the car and the kids really enjoyed it. For a read aloud, I would think it's okay for a 2nd grader. My son loves any kinds of books and did like this one, but if your son is picky, he might not like it. It's pretty girl-focused.

The LIttle Prince is odd. He travels around to different planets .I studied it in high school french class years ago. I think it would be confusing to a young child as it has meanings on multiple levels.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:30 pm

My kids, ds & dd, both loved Hiedi, it really is a wonderful story, brought tears to my eyes in several places. Little Women would probably be most appreciated by girls and even then 5yo may be a little young. I have no insight on the rest.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Yen

Post by Yen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:18 am

Thank you very much for your responses! :) glad to see Heidi might still make it into our read alouds next year! :)
Yen
Ds5 LHFHG, fIrst year homeschooling
Ds1 (loves joining in rhymes in motion)
http://filipinohomeschoolingjourney.wordpress.com