God's good timing :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
julsoliveira

God's good timing :)

Post by julsoliveira » Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 pm

Ya'll, This is so cool I just had to share it.

T finished unit 24 of PHFHG today. Monday, we start the Middle ages unit! This evening I was looking through the history project and consulting pinterest for ideas on the medieval feast. It seemed a shame to do such a fun assignment with only myself, and the 3 kids to benefit from it. I totally get that it's for their benefit, but you know, the more the merrier!

I was thinking about putting it off until August when we go to the Renn Faire. I happened to click on a list of other faires, and there is one this weekend! and much closer! Talk about God's perfect timing :) If we had been any sooner or later in our studies, we would have missed this opportunity altogether because of the season and the weather.

How fun that I get to surprise the kids in the morning with an early rise, ferry ride, and a FAIRE! Bonus: There is an illumination booth! T will really enjoy that after this last units history project. Now...Can I make 2 tunics and a kirtle in one night? lol Better not try this time !

Molly

Re: God's good timing :)

Post by Molly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 am

Have a great time.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 am

How great is that!!! I bet you all will have a fantastic time. That would be such a fun way to make the history come to life. God's timing is always impeccable. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 pm

God's perfect timing! :D

How did it go? Did you have a great time?
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

lapeseven

Post by lapeseven » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:44 pm

That's awesome! Have a great time!
Cathy

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Yes we had a great time! It was an SCA (Society for creative anachronism) event, so not as large as the Renn faire. Right away Tyler spotted the Viking/Norse brooches in a booth. The gentleman had hand made them from looking at pictures of brooches found in archaeological digs! Next we visited a booth and my DD tried her hand at loop cord braiding. We watched a lady demonstrate making woven trim. Ladies, let me tell, you...80 strands of DMC floss!! to make 7 yards of inch wide woven trim, AMAZING! They watched a coin making demo, and each bought a pewter coin. There was a booth where we could borrow period clothing, so Tyler got a red tunic, and Jackie had the prettiest teal linen dress. Little buddy got a cute doublet :) Tyler and Jackie did archery. Tyler tried hatchet and knife throwing, and actually got a hit! Patrick, at 4, is too little to do anything like that, but he did acquire a yellow wooden sword. We ate "viking feast ice cream" while we watched the sword tournaments. There was no feat sadly, but we'll do that at the big faire in August. Good weather, good timing, great day!

SCA is an international organization. This was one of their larger demonstration days, kind of like a free trial day if you will. The only reason we haven't become member yet is I just don't have the time for the commitment. Like any formal organization there are time commitments and fees involved, and I just don't have the time with dance going on. But it was a great look into the specific medieval period of time, and something we might look into down the road. I know the boys would love to do of the tournament type stuff.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 am

That sounds like an awesome day! We would love to do something like that. I'll have to look into SCA to see if they have anything like that around here. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Patty, I've already looked into SCA in NC, because that's where we're moving (In Nov)! They kingdom there is Atlantia, and covers a few of the coastal southern states.