Help with transposing b and d.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Molly

Help with transposing b and d.

Post by Molly » Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi there ladies,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any great ideas on how to help DS7 with remembering which is which. He transposes not only with his reading but in his writing too. Any help will be gratefully received.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

farmfamily

Re: Help with transposing b and d.

Post by farmfamily » Wed May 29, 2013 3:26 pm

When I was little I used to picture the word "bed". It should look like a side view of a bed with the headboard and the footboard sticking up above side view of the mattress. It helped me remember which way round the letters went. Not sure if I'm explaining this very well...

Another one I've used with my kids is to ask them to say the sounds of the letters. To say "b" you start by putting your lips in a straight line, so start writing "b" with a straight line and then a circle. To say "d," your lips make a sort of a circle, so start by writing a circle, and then write a line. Does that make sense?
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

Molly

Post by Molly » Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Fabulous, that is terrific. I will try those. Thank you so much.

Joyful3

Post by Joyful3 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:56 pm

The All About Reading author suggested doing a bat/ball for b and doorknob/door for d. You can draw a picture of that the first time you explain it to give a visual.

For writing, what I've found works for my DS is to use the Handwriting Without Tears trick and tell him that the b is the dive down letter and d is the magic c letter (how you start the writing stroke for each.)
Leah
DS 14, 9th grade, public school
DD 12, 7th grade, RTR
DS6, 1st grade, public school

dschurma

Post by dschurma » Wed May 29, 2013 9:23 pm

http://kindergartenfaith.blogspot.com/2 ... bs-ds.html

We use the "bed" trick with my 5 yr old, but my friend shared this link. I love the graphic at this site...Bs have bellies, D's don't! ;)
Dawn
http://mamasmonkeys.blogspot.com
Alex (7) - Beyond
Max (6) - LHFHG
Jensyn Kate (4) - LHTH

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu May 30, 2013 3:50 pm

I love the Institute For Excellence in Writing "Letter Stories". It keeps reversals to a minimum. "b" is the bomb letter. It starts at the top...draw a line down..trace back up and "boom" make a "bomb" which is your circle.

D is the doggy letter. IT DOES NOT START AT THE TOP. That is key. It starts like "c". Start making your lowercase "c". That is doggy's face. Then up and trace back down to make a long wagging tail.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu May 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Love these ideas...don't have any of my own to add to the mix, but will definitely be using these!! :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Thank you so much ladies. What a tremendous help. I'm sure we will get it right for him with these ideas.

Joyful3

Post by Joyful3 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:13 pm

mrsrandolph wrote:I love the Institute For Excellence in Writing "Letter Stories". It keeps reversals to a minimum. "b" is the bomb letter. It starts at the top...draw a line down..trace back up and "boom" make a "bomb" which is your circle.

D is the doggy letter. IT DOES NOT START AT THE TOP. That is key. It starts like "c". Start making your lowercase "c". That is doggy's face. Then up and trace back down to make a long wagging tail.
Love this! I can't wait to add it to our toolbox.
Leah
DS 14, 9th grade, public school
DD 12, 7th grade, RTR
DS6, 1st grade, public school

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:55 am

Hi Molly! :D This is sooooo common. Even in 3rd grade, which was primarily the grade I taught back in the day of my ps teaching, dc commonly reversed these letters. I'll paste a portion of another post I just did as I think something here may help...

I made an index card of the letters (and a few numbers) he was reversing, using it in a word, making the letter reversed dark black. For example,

boy
dog

I also explained that just like "b" comes before "d" in the alphabet, "b" is also 'tall' first, as it is 'tallest' on its left side, and 'd' is tallest on its right side. I left the card out on the table and asked him to check his work before handing it in to me. If he still missed some, I drew his attention to the line that had the reversal and had him look for the reversal there and fix it.

Seeing it right repeatedly on the index card cut down on the errors and editing it himself helped him remember to write carefully the first time. I suspect your child's reversals would diminish over time using this method. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie