LHFHG Singapore Math activities?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3sweeties

LHFHG Singapore Math activities?

Post by 3sweeties » Sun May 26, 2013 9:39 am

Hi everyone,

There may have been an update discussed somewhere on the board, but I can't seem to find it. Just wondering what to do about the Singapore Math activities in LHFHG since HOD had to change to SP Essential Math K (I know the previous ones went out of print)? I already own a LHFHG guide, but would REALLY like to use Carrie's hands-on activities that she is rewriting instead of what is in the Essentials workbooks. Do I need to buy a new LHFHG guide? Are there any other options?

Thanks!
Jessica
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

raindrops

Re: LHFHG Singapore Math activities?

Post by raindrops » Sun May 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Hmmm... I don't know, but I also have the "old" guide but will be using the "new" math with my daughter. Maybe there will be a pdf or something we can download. But don't quote me on that. ;)

Bumping this up for ya.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:06 am

Hi Jessica! We also have the old LHFHG guide book and are working through the new K math book. I've just been flipping through LHFHG to find activities that match up with the new math book--there's a list in the front of LHFHG with the order of math and that's helped a lot. So when we were doing size, I just found the pages in LHFHG related to size and used the activities that seemed to match up well. We've also done some of the activities in the Essentials Math book, just depending on what I could find in LHFHG and what my DS needed. I know another lady actually went through ahead of time and matched up the new book with old activities and made a chart and everything, but that was a bit overwhelming for me, so I've just been doing it a few minutes before we start school and it's worked fine. Carrie said she's hoping to have the new guide out with the new math activities early this fall so if you're doing vacation for the summer you could also just wait until then and buy the new guide. Hope that helps, have fun! :-)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Ladies,

We're working on the new LHFHG math changes now, and since the changes affect every day of the LHFHG plans we are considering a unique solution for those who may have an old guide and need the new math plans. :D We are considering offering the option (to families who have an old LHFHG guide and are planning to use the new LFHGH math) of purchasing the new guide at half off of the retail price. With this type of opportunity, families would be required to have purchased their guide from us originally (which we'd check through our database) and then would need to send us their old LHFHG guide in exchange for the new guide. We are thinking we could provide a postage paid mailer to return the guide to us.

This would be one way for us to offer the math plans to families who need it and allow them to receive a new guide in the deal as well. Since the math plans are daily and require us to redo every day of math plans in the guide, there won't be a PDF of the changes available. :D

This is one plan we are pondering. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 pm

That sounds like a great idea to me. Except... I couldn't part with (send back) my old guide because I write daily notes in it about what my son liked and did, his cute answers, etc. :lol:

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:19 am

That sounds wonderful Carrie! I was going to purchase the new guide no matter what b/c my younger son will be using LHFHG in a couple years and I wanted to use your new math activities with him. It would sure help our pocket book a little to do a partial trade like that! :-D

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 am

Would the rest of us who don't want to part with our old guide get some sort of break for the new one? I've used my old one through three kids and really don't want to send it back :(

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 am

Ladies,

The main reason for offering previous purchasers of the LHFHG guide the chance to purchase our newest guide at half price is to help those families who are still using LHFHG with their children have access to the new updates for a reasonable price. In essence, we want to thank our loyal customers for their patronage and offer them unique opportunities that come with purchasing directly from our company. :D

We have a long history of selling LHFHG guides, and while we are more than willing to offer this special opportunity to anyone who still possesses their guide and is still using it, there are other situations to bear in mind as well.

In almost ten years of selling the LHFHG guide, it is certain that many families by now will have sold their guide to someone else. While this is just fine, on our end you can see that it wouldn't make sense to offer to sell our newest guide at half price to a family who no longer owns or uses our LHFHG guide (and who ultimately will then turn around and sell it at close to full price to another user.) :wink:

We also have to consider the huge cost involved in printing a new run of LHFHG guides and understand that to sell a large portion of that new inventory at a very reduced cost would be significantly hard on our business.

This is why in requiring families to return their current LHFHG guide to us in order to take advantage of this new offer (and we will pay the shipping back for you), we are able to specifically serve those families who truly need the new guide in order to better teach their own kiddos. :D Of course, anyone can purchase the new guide at full price and still choose to retain their old guide as well. It is up to you whether or not to take advantage of the offer we're planning. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:00 pm

I figured it had to do with reselling the guide. I still can't part with mine (and nobody would want to buy it-LOL). I think it is wonderfully sweet of HOD to think of doing a trade in. Especially when it isn't youe fault a new guide even had to be written with books going out of print. We'll just get an extra guide when the time comes for dd. Will have to order the consumable books for her anyways.
Blessings,

schultzjen13

Post by schultzjen13 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:09 pm

What about those of us who recently purchased the guide but haven't started using it yet? I wouldn't have purchased it had I known there would be an update before I needed it.
DD11 - Creation to Christ
DS11 - Creation to Christ
DD7 - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
DS5 - Little Hearts for His Glory
DD3 - Having fun!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:39 pm

I didn't think about people selling it :oops:

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

schultzjen13 wrote:What about those of us who recently purchased the guide but haven't started using it yet? I wouldn't have purchased it had I known there would be an update before I needed it.
Did you buy it through HOD recently? Here's HOD's return policy:

Q: What is your return policy?
A: You may return any item within 30 days for a full refund if we receive the items back in new condition. Shipping is not refundable. Please pack the box securely to avoid damage in shipping. After 30 days there is a 15% restocking fee for returns. After 60 days, there are no returns.

Perhaps you could ask them about having your return shipping refunded because you did not know that you were going to need to updated guide.
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1
HODers from the beginning

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 am

Carrie wrote:Since the math plans are daily and require us to redo every day of math plans in the guide, there won't be a PDF of the changes available. :D
Carrie, what about selling a printout of just the new math plans (like the DITHOR Sample Book Ideas List), at a price that makes it worth it to you, to customers who have previously bought the guide from HOD?
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1
HODers from the beginning

schultzjen13

Post by schultzjen13 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Deanna,

Unfortunately, I bought it back in March. I'm one of those people who starts thinking about next fall in January, and then just has to buy it! Good idea, though!
DD11 - Creation to Christ
DS11 - Creation to Christ
DD7 - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
DS5 - Little Hearts for His Glory
DD3 - Having fun!

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Carrie,
Thanks for offering a half-price option. :) I still have another child to use the guide.

(I am like momtoJGJE though - I never thought of people reselling their guide! :?)
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)