End of guide certificate?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
julsoliveira

End of guide certificate?

Post by julsoliveira » Sat May 25, 2013 12:06 am

Does anyone make up a certificate of completion when the guide is done? Maybe a little family ceremony? I sometimes do a c certificate when they finish a math book, and was thinking about one for the The guides. If you have pictures, I'd love to see!

MitchellFamily

Re: End of guide certificate?

Post by MitchellFamily » Sat May 25, 2013 3:51 am

No but our family does do a celebration. We let the child who is finished choose something fun for the family to do together, like going to a restaurant or a movie or bowling or something. It is a tradition in our house now that the kids look forward to. :)
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat May 25, 2013 7:40 am

What a wonderful idea! We haven't ever done anything like that, but it sounds like a fun thing to do. We usually take some time just to peruse our notebooks and look over our work for the year. It would be nice to have a special family dinner or ceremony and share some of the highlights of the year. I'll be watching your thread and looking forward to seeing what everyone else does. Maybe that will give me some ideas. :wink: :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 am

We usually choose one academic skill for each student that he/she has improved in and one character trait that we have seen them grow in throughout the year! We also celebrate with a "treat" of some kind...this year it was Wendy's Frostys!!! :D :D :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Sat May 25, 2013 11:05 am

That is an adorable idea! I bought a Kindergarten diploma (only 35cents at the local school supply store) for my son and then discovered my computer HAS a really print shop program and made a "ready to begin preschool" certificate for my daughter. She literally BEGS to do "skoo-worksh". But until recently she couldn't sit still for more that 2 seconds unless she was asleep. But I think come fall I will begin her in LHTH- she will be 3.5yrs then.

But I love the idea of a certificate for finishing a guide and letting the child choose a family activity. Probably camping. We'll see what he comes up with. We still have 9 units left!
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Sat May 25, 2013 10:16 pm

All great ideas! I've been doing a new book in their favorite series every 8 units. I know homeschooling doesn't have to be like brick and mortar school, but there is something special about getting recognized for your achievements :) Hmmm...Maybe I'll find a couple old trophies at the thrift shop and spray paint them. Write the name of the guide on it and call it a "book award" . When the next kid completes the book, the child before "passes it down" to the next one! Oh I like that!

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sun May 26, 2013 4:37 am

That's a nice idea :) For the last two years we've taken a 1 night trip to Great Wolf Lodge during homeschool week and I plan to end school right before that.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm

We set out all our work for the year and have a "Grandparents' Day" where the grandparents come over and look at all the projects, notebooks, and workbooks. I also type up a list of accomplishments for each kid and read some of those for the grandparents. I did use a K certificate for my older and plan to do that again for my next one next year. My dd in Beyond loved the "Mother's Jewels" poem so much that she memorized it, so I'll probably have her recite it this year. We usually have lunch/dinner and make a celebration out of the day. We end it with me telling the girls they are officially "promoted" to the next year. On the first and last days of school, I make signs saying "First Day of xyz" and "Last Day of xyz" and I take pictures. It is fun to look back on those.

HTH,
Kathy

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 pm

We have done certificates for the younger grades, but the kids really love having a special Family Fun Night, where the graduate chooses what they want to eat that evening, dessert included :mrgreen: and what games we play as a family! 8) :D For finishing other small books we go get an ice cream cone to celebrate! :D :D

Being that we live in Florida, we went to celebrate starting Bigger Hearts as well, by going to the beach and hunting for Shark teeth, shells, algae, seaweed, tide pools etc. we have gone several times now. :wink: It is great fun as we do this with another family who started Bigger at the same time. The kids totally enjoy this. :D
Blessings,
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.