Not American... Question about doing LHFHG a second time

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Yen

Not American... Question about doing LHFHG a second time

Post by Yen » Fri May 24, 2013 4:49 am

Hi,

We're greatly enjoying LHFHG kindergarten this year, just finished unit 2, and my ds5 loves all the activities and is also starting to understand what's going on with reddy fox hehe. In looking forward to the next years of homeschooling, though, I was wondering: since we're not American (we are Filipino and living in the Philippines), it doesn't seem too relevant for us to proceed with beyond next year, with the history focus being American history, and the same is true with bigger. For LHFHG, I don't feel it's an issue because of the strong focus on bible history first and then transitioning into American history but still as showing the Lord's hand in it. But for first and second grade, I was hoping to focus more on our nation's history----which, I'm sad to say, I'm having trouble finding living books on! :shock:

Anyway, my question is, will it be ok if we repeat the entire LHFHG curriculum next year, using first grade science, first grade math, and first grade phonics programs? I.e. only the history part would be repeated, which I don't really mind because there is always so much more to learn about the bible portions he would have already gone through. I've read other posts which suggested doing LH at half speed instead, but based on my ds interest level and skill, full speed seems like the best fit, esp since he already did 2 years of preschool prior to this and can already do the fine motor and math activities with just enough ease, and his interest level sometimes goes way past the designated "school" time :)

Any suggestions? I'm growing really attached to HOD and it saddens me to think of the possibility of not getting to use the next two guides simply because of the history focus hehehe... I'm not sure I'd have the energy to add an entirely different history program (philippine history) while still using the entire curriculum... I'm remembering many other posts where the moms planned in advance hahaha I guess I'm one of them! 8)

Thanks very much!

Yen
Yen
Ds5 LHFHG, fIrst year homeschooling
Ds1 (loves joining in rhymes in motion)
http://filipinohomeschoolingjourney.wordpress.com

Molly

Re: Not American... Question about doing LHFHG a second time

Post by Molly » Fri May 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Yen, I am in a similar position to you, being from New Zealand. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the skills they learn throughout the guides far outweigh the fact they are learning american history. I will as the children go, add in extra New Zealand and British History through living books, but my main concern is that the children leave home with a love of learning and a knowledge of what to do with that learning and I think HOD will provide that. My youngest daughter is nearing the end of BHFHG and has grown so much in her skills. She has also learnt about important people who are actually part of world history not only american history. I think the character discussions and just the great living books that demonstrate good character is a real bonus.

My oldest daughter is doing RtR and I will add a little more formal NZ History in the next two years, although nothing too major. I'm hoping that as we travel around NZ they will learn more about our own country. We also discuss current affairs with our children, and often it leads to discussing something that has been in the past. I am not certain I will ever get the history in a nice time order as Carrie does, but I'm quite certain even a little bit will mean the children will know more than they would if they were in public school.

I'm not certain if that helps, but I do hope it does. I guess what I'm trying to say is the history portion really is a sideline of all the skill development, and I'm sure once your children are older you will have a great plan to include a little Phillipine history as you go.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

Yen

Post by Yen » Fri May 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Wow, thank you very much, Molly, this is really encouraging to know! And I'm glad to hear that BLHFHG and BHFHG can both work for other nationalities! I like what you said about the skills and the love of learning that HOD successfully puts in place... Now I can breathe easier knowing we can continue with the other guides hehe and just work on looking for living books on our own country to add sometime down the line! :D
Yen
Ds5 LHFHG, fIrst year homeschooling
Ds1 (loves joining in rhymes in motion)
http://filipinohomeschoolingjourney.wordpress.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks, Molly, for offering your very relevant perspective here! :D :D :D I think exactly like you do, but my opinion is far less pertinent or helpful here than yours. Please do continue to encourage others like this - you are in the unique position to be especially inspirational and supportive to ladies just like Yen. Thanks also to you, Yen, for voicing this question as it is sure to help others! :D I help with training for HOD's shipping, and let me tell you, HOD is being used across the world, on every single continent, in too many countries to count. It is amazing to see what the Lord is doing with HOD! Thanks for being a part of this!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie