Thanks for another fabulous year, Carrie!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StillJulie

Thanks for another fabulous year, Carrie!

Post by StillJulie » Thu May 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Today we finished up Rev to Rev and CTC. Last week we finished Bigger Hearts and Little Hearts.

Now I'm in the process of boxing up the guides/books for these four guides, and pulling out the stuff for next year's guides. My oldest is so bummed that I don't have much of the Missions to Modern Marvels stuff yet. I did print off the first week of plans, introduction, and table of contents so that she could peruse those. Everyone is excited about their upcoming books.

It was fun to dig out my oldest's CTC notebook pages and compare them to my son's, who just finished that guide. There were areas where each one did a better job than the other... some similarities, some differences... It was just neat to look them over.

We did take this year off from DITHOR, and I'm looking forward to doing that again next year.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

pjdobro

Re: Thanks for another fabulous year, Carrie!

Post by pjdobro » Thu May 23, 2013 9:59 pm

It sounds like you had a fabulous year! Congratulations on completing all those guides. It must have been fun to go back and compare the notebooks that your dc did. It is neat to see how it varies from child to child. We just finished CTC today too. We're looking forward to going through the notebooks next week and just admiring all the work that we've done this year. Thank you Carrie for making our year a great one too! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Congratulations to you and your dc, StillJulie! :D What a wonderful year! I like to look back at each of our dc's portfolios and celebrate their progress now and then too. Just like you, I love noticing the differences in each of our dc's work in the same guides. It's like seeing the Lord's unique gifting to each of them laid out so clearly. It really is one of my favorite things about HOD - dc can do the same guides and have their own individuality and creativity shine through! Definitely NOT the same experience or results if we'd done a bunch of worksheets, quizzes, or tests. This feeling of progress is empowering! It can take me right into the next year with eager anticipation. :D Thanks for sharing this, StillJulie - it is sure to encourage others to look back at their HOD year and smell the roses and see the progress! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 pm

StillJulie,

It is exciting to finish for the year, isn't it! I was so excited to have my boys wrap up their school year and for my boys to be done with LHFHG, Preparing, MTMM, and my oldest's junior year of high school. I'm not sure where the time goes! :D

I'm celebrating with you tonight! :D We're glad summer is here too!

Blessings,
Carrie

Mommy4Him

Post by Mommy4Him » Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Congratulations on finishing the year with all those different guides! I am impressed and encouraged. How fun for your to look back and compare your children's work.

This will be our first year with HOD. We are going to be using Rev2Rev, CTC and Bigger this coming year and I've been praying that I can handle doing 3 guides. Your post gave me hope that it will be ok.

Mary in CO
Momma to 4 blessings

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Fri May 31, 2013 7:48 am

Mommy4Him wrote:Congratulations on finishing the year with all those different guides! I am impressed and encouraged. How fun for your to look back and compare your children's work.

This will be our first year with HOD. We are going to be using Rev2Rev, CTC and Bigger this coming year and I've been praying that I can handle doing 3 guides. Your post gave me hope that it will be ok.

Mary in CO
Momma to 4 blessings

Heart of Dakota is the best thing that has happened to my family homeschool-wise. The kids love it, and I find it a joy to teach. Carrie's book selections for storytime and other categories have been so interesting and have often been new to me. It took me about three years of homeschooling before I discovered HOD. My attitude toward homeschooling changed from "I'm doing this b/c I have to" to "I'm doing this b/c I want to, and it is enjoyable!"
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade