Bigger: The Wright Brothers.. HELP

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
joyfulhomeschooler

Bigger: The Wright Brothers.. HELP

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 pm

We started reading this today and my page numbers don't match what is in the guide. For instance, the guide on day one says read chapter one pages 1-10. In the book chapter one is pages 9-18. Does anyone know why? Do I have the wrong book? I bought my guide and the books used.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)

luv2homeschool

Re: Bigger: The Wright Brothers.. HELP

Post by luv2homeschool » Tue May 21, 2013 8:29 pm

The book in the guide is The Story of the Wright Brothers and Their Sister by Lois MIlls. Published by Christian LIberty Press. If you have the right book but your page numbers aren't matching up, then just read the correct chapter and don't worry about the page numbers.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Tue May 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Yes, it's the right book. Strange... but I know it will still match up alright because the "key idea" made sense. Thanks for your help.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 am

You probably just have an older edition of the book than is scheduled in Bigger.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 am

Yes this has happened to me too when I did not acquire the guide and book(s) from the same source. There are different editions, sometimes I wish in HOD they would put the title of the chapter or something (especially in "History Stories for Children" in LHFHG that's one that I have conflicting editions of). Once I figure out what the correct reading is, I write it in pencil in that box so that when I go back I will be able to find it (or if you sold them as a lot to someone else they would be able to figure it out).
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 am

MelInKansas wrote:Yes this has happened to me too when I did not acquire the guide and book(s) from the same source. There are different editions, sometimes I wish in HOD they would put the title of the chapter or something (especially in "History Stories for Children" in LHFHG that's one that I have conflicting editions of). Once I figure out what the correct reading is, I write it in pencil in that box so that when I go back I will be able to find it (or if you sold them as a lot to someone else they would be able to figure it out).
There is an alternate schedule in LHFHG for History Stories... It's in the front of the book. Now it might still not be the same edition you have ;) But it's what i have... I went through and found all the stories that worked and penciled it in and THEN found the schedule :roll:

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Sat May 25, 2013 8:56 pm

We ran into a problem using the book we have. :( There is no timeline in it. I believe the guide said page 145 on unit 28 day 5 for the notebooking. There wasn't anything like this in our book.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Ah, ladies! :D I am so sorry that you are having this experience. I know that I spent a few years trying to find books from other sources more cheaply when I first homeschooled with some other curriculums too. Often this scenario can end in frustration though when the page numbers don't match up, or portions of the book are missing or changed. This is why we've done all of the gathering for you to make sure that you get the exact books you need to match our guides!

If you check our package pricing, you'll find that it is very competitive because we work to make your one-stop-shopping at HOD a good value. :D We also have a substitution policy that is wonderful! So, next time, you can save yourself some heartache and support HOD at the same time, simply by buying your books from us! :D It is what keeps us in business! :D

Link to substitution policy: http://www.heartofdakota.com/faqs.php#Substitution

Blessings,
Carrie

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Sun May 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Yes, thank you Carrie. :) At the time we purchased our Bigger set, we were unsure we would like HOD and didn't want to spend the money for new materials until we were sure. Now that we are sure we LOVE HOD :) We will try to buy new each year. I appreciate the time and care you have taken in writing the program and will be happy to support it. Thanks for your input.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC