Interested in Beyond for 1st grade. Torn between MFW.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amselby81

Interested in Beyond for 1st grade. Torn between MFW.

Post by amselby81 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:46 am

I am a hot mess when it comes to deciding on curriculum for first grade next year. Just to be completely honest, I'm also thinking about using MFW for first grade. Both HOD and MFW appeal to me. I've known about MFW longer, and I was really set on using that for next year. And then I found out about HOD. And to top it all off, sometimes I think about using neither, since I already have some FIAR books. Did I say I was a hot mess? I'm all over the place!

My daughter will turn 7 in October, so she'll be an older first grade. This year, we've focused on phonics and math. We also did Classical Conversations, and will continue CC next year. If I do HOD next year, I'm leaning more toward Beyond. Little Hearts just looks too young for her. She's going to be ready to learn some rules of grammar this year. She will probably need phonics instruction for the first half of the year or so, but I think she will be ready for the emergent readers by the 2nd half. I figured if I use Beyond this year, and of course if we enjoy it, we will use Bigger for 2nd grade. After that, I might use MFW ECC. Or if I have fallen absolutely in love with HOD, I might stick with it. I bet you are hoping the latter happens. :) But I'm just being honest that from just looking, the MFW 5 year cycle appeals to me more than the later HOD years do.

I guess why I'm torn on what to do is because of a number of reasons. For one, I already bought some phonics for next year, and if I use MFW 1st, I won't need what I bought. I might hold onto it in hopes that we'll use it for extra practice, but it's unlikely I would. I could always resell it too, but if I use HOD, I can use it! I also already have a math curriculum for next year. I was just going to use that in addition to MFW 1st, but it can be my main math curriculum if I use HOD. We'll be using MUS Alpha by the way.

I think the main reasons why I would want to go ahead with MFW 1st is because the year centers around the Bible. I know HOD has devotions and Bible time, but I like the focus that MFW 1st has. Plus, despite what I said above about the phonics, I think DD might be more advanced with the phonics in MFW 1st than if we do what I already bought, which is Hooked on Phonics and Explode the Code. It's not like the phonics I already have is super mind blowing or anything. But DD really likes the simplicity of Hooked on Phonics, and I like the extra practice that Explode the Code provides. I also liked that with MFW, our 2nd grade would be a focus on U.S. History, but it looks like our 1st and 2nd grade would be a thourough focus on U.S. History if we used HOD. Not that that's a bad thing. Our focus in Classical Conversations was going to be in U.S. history for her 2nd grade year, so that's kind of why I liked the way it fell in MFW.

Why I'm not totally serious about considering FIAR? Because I stink at planning. I bought FIAR for her K year, and I didn't get any of it done. A part of me hopes that if I were to try it again next year, that I'd be able to do it, but if I'm completely honest with myself, it won't get done. Maybe later down the road, after I've had practice with curriculum that's already set up for me, like MFW or HOD, I will be able to implement such a curriculum as FIAR. Maybe! If I were to use FIAR, I'd do First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease for our LA, along with a spelling curriculum.

I'm so sorry if this post is all over the place. You just got a peak of what's going on inside my head. It really is all over the place, and that's why I have no real idea of what we're doing next year. :( I don't even think I've even asked a question. LOL! This post is more like a vent, and a hope that someone can give some suggestions. Okay, I'll throw in some questions.

-If you have tried MFW and switched to HOD, why did you switch?
=Do you think Beyond will be too advanced for my DD? And then do you think Bigger will be doable in 2nd grade? If it will be too advanced, then we probably won't do HOD because I am totally convinced that Little Hearts will not be enough. I'd probably have to add FLL and WWE to it.

If you made it all the way through my post, thank you! And I'm so sorry for my ramble! :)

jahall2000

Re: Interested in Beyond for 1st grade. Torn between MFW.

Post by jahall2000 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:47 am

I'm switching from MFW-K to HOD for this year. My son is far ahead in reading now and I'd like separate phonics so we can move at a faster pace with that and continue to challenge his reading skills. Looking at the placement chart I was all set to do Beyond with him. He turned 6 at the end of April and as I said he's advanced in reading and his other skills sound right on pace with Beyond. However, at a homeschool conference, I was able to look at the history books at the Christian Liberty Press booth. HOD was not there. Looking at the beyond history books, i quickly realized that the content would be over his head. So we'll be using Little Hearts, but probably moving into the emerging readers mid year. I'm planning on ordering the Beyond book so that I can use the math exploration for first grade, plus have the emerging readers list. We may also add in the 1st grade spelling and maybe grammar as well. To be honest, the main reason I wanted to stay with MFW for first grade was the bible history/bible reader and notebook. I actually decided to order the bible reader and notebook so we could do that part, and HOD has bible history in it. I also ordered some of the first grade science books from MFW because my son is always begging for more science. A lot of the extras that MFW has such as the art books and such really don't appeal to me. I prefer to study art and music in other ways than from books at this point. I love so much that HOD has to offer, and I think they do a better job with literature study. I love reading with my son and he loves to read but I want to make sure that he's learning about the different genres and really studying literature as he gets older. I'm really looking forward to getting started with HOD and I just know it's going to be great.
Married to DH foralmost 13 years.
1 precious blessing here with us, 2 in heaven.
6 yo ds - Little Hearts or Beyond for 1st

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue May 21, 2013 12:32 pm

But DD really likes the simplicity of Hooked on Phonics, and I like the extra practice that Explode the Code provides.
I also already have a math curriculum for next year. We'll be using MUS Alpha by the way.
I bought FIAR for her K year, and I didn't get any of it done.
______

You already have the phonics and math covered with something you like. Beyond is a great year and easy to use your own favorite math and phonics with. It sounds likes you will be adding, adding to MFW. Beyond is such a fun year. I think you will enjoy it! We used MUS alongside Beyond twice. I have done MFW 1st (not the revised version), and although I liked it, I do like our blend or Abeka and Explode the Code better. I was never extrememly successful with FIAR either. I am on my second time time through Beyond and still love it. We got "behind" this year due to older children needing attention to graduate, etc., so we will be back on track and finish it this year. My kids are young enough that I don't have to feel guilty about this! I will have a 7 and 8/9 year old doing Beyond. The last time I did it the boys were in 1st and 2nd.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

jahall2000

Post by jahall2000 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 pm

If you have your phonics and math already covered, I'd go with HOD. That being said, I would make sure she's ready for the history content. Like I said, I thought that by the charts that my ds6 should be ready for Beyond, but after looking at the books, I thought it'd be too challenging, especially since we haven't really done history yet. I'm confident now that using Little Hearts and adding a bit of the right side of Beyond (Learning the Basics will be a perfect fit for him.

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Tue May 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Welcome to the board! The ladies here are great!

I have not used MFW so I can't chime in on that part of your decision. I'm sure that you'll get plenty of good advice :wink:

Just a word about the history in Beyond Little Hearts. I've seen it mentioned twice in the last two days that the history is "way above the kids" or too advanced, and as a user of Beyond I think that is completely wrong. I have an advanced 1st grader doing Beyond right now, and the history is everything good living books should be: narrative, engaging, and very interesting. My daughter is not yet 6 and she is enjoying it very much. As for retention, she now has begun playing games about Jamestown and early pilgrims, and I know that she's learning and remembering. She now has an obsession for drawing maps of early settlements. She writes little stories about pioneers. She draws pictures about sea voyages. It is totally grade appropriate and very well chosen.

Just wanted to clear that up :wink:

May The Lord guide you as you make this big decision!
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

jahall2000

Post by jahall2000 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm

RestInHim wrote:Welcome to the board! The ladies here are great!

I have not used MFW so I can't chime in on that part of your decision. I'm sure that you'll get plenty of good advice :wink:

Just a word about the history in Beyond Little Hearts. I've seen it mentioned twice in the last two days that the history is "way above the kids" or too advanced, and as a user of Beyond I think that is completely wrong. I have an advanced 1st grader doing Beyond right now, and the history is everything good living books should be: narrative, engaging, and very interesting. My daughter is not yet 6 and she is enjoying it very much. As for retention, she now has begun playing games about Jamestown and early pilgrims, and I know that she's learning and remembering. She now has an obsession for drawing maps of early settlements. She writes little stories about pioneers. She draws pictures about sea voyages. It is totally grade appropriate and very well chosen.

Just wanted to clear that up :wink:

May The Lord guide you as you make this big decision!

I was just saying that in my case, I thought it was a bit too much at this stage. I think the material is great, and it does look engaging and interesting. In our case, I think my son needs a bit gentler introduction to history, like in Little Hearts.
Do what you think is best. If I had ordered Beyond without looking at the history, I think I would have been a little frustrated.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board! :D We're glad to have you here. One thing you'll notice when you look at HOD is that each guide has a target age range that encompasses several different age levels. What is different about our age levels is that a child of a certain age could actually be placed in one of several HOD guides, depending on his/her skill level. So, a 7 year old could actually be placed in LHFHG (which is for ages 5-7), Beyond (which is for ages 6-8), or Bigger (which is for ages 7-9). This means that different families will have different placements for their 7 year olds, depending on the 7 year old's skill level in the 3R's especially. :D

So, as you look at the placement chart for your will be 7 year old, paying attention to the first page of the chart the most, which guide does your child fit in best skill-wise (meaning which part of the chart describes your child best)? Link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Another thing that will make a big difference in placement is how well your child listens to books without pictures, or chapter style books. The readings in Beyond are very narrative, but they have fewer pictures and require a listener who is able to listen to a bit longer readings with fewer pictures. This is a difference between LHFHG and Beyond and is an area that often helps decide whether LHFHG or Beyond is a better fit. :D

So, if you get a chance to pop and share where your daughter seems to fit best on the first page of the chart and how well she listens to chapter style books with few pictures we can help better. :D

If you also get a chance to share a bit about how much she writes each day (i.e. whether she can copy a sentence or so at a time) and if she is ready for gentle spelling words that would help too!

Blessings,
Carrie

amselby81

Post by amselby81 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Carrie wrote:Welcome to the HOD Board! :D We're glad to have you here. One thing you'll notice when you look at HOD is that each guide has a target age range that encompasses several different age levels. What is different about our age levels is that a child of a certain age could actually be placed in one of several HOD guides, depending on his/her skill level. So, a 7 year old could actually be placed in LHFHG (which is for ages 5-7), Beyond (which is for ages 6-8), or Bigger (which is for ages 7-9). This means that different families will have different placements for their 7 year olds, depending on the 7 year old's skill level in the 3R's especially. :D

So, as you look at the placement chart for your will be 7 year old, paying attention to the first page of the chart the most, which guide does your child fit in best skill-wise (meaning which part of the chart describes your child best)? Link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Another thing that will make a big difference in placement is how well your child listens to books without pictures, or chapter style books. The readings in Beyond are very narrative, but they have fewer pictures and require a listener who is able to listen to a bit longer readings with fewer pictures. This is a difference between LHFHG and Beyond and is an area that often helps decide whether LHFHG or Beyond is a better fit. :D

So, if you get a chance to pop and share where your daughter seems to fit best on the first page of the chart and how well she listens to chapter style books with few pictures we can help better. :D

If you also get a chance to share a bit about how much she writes each day (i.e. whether she can copy a sentence or so at a time) and if she is ready for gentle spelling words that would help too!

Blessings,
Carrie

Thank you, Carrie. I had looked at the chart, and just by the chart, it looks like Beyond would be better fit for us. I had my doubts, because I have heard of a lot people who do Little Hearts for first. We do read chapter books, as well as listen to audio books. At the moment, I can keep her attention for about 10-15 minutes at a time while reading to her, from a book with little to no illustrations. I'm sure her attention will get better for next year. She can currently copy short sentences. I'm not sure how she will handle spelling. She does a little spelling in explode the code, but she struggles with confidence. She always asks me if she's correct, even if she knows what letter makes the sound she's looking for. I would like to get her confidence up.

I hope this information helps. Thank you!

Angie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Angie! :D Thanks for sharing about your dd and answering Carrie's questions! That really helps so much. Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory sounds like a good fit overall. The age range is to account for individual differences among dc, and your dd sounds like she places best in Beyond. :D My 6 1/2 yo will be doing Beyond Little Hearts next year, and he sounds similar to your dd. We are also doing Explode the Code, which is a good way to reinforce phonics skills, while also building fine motor skills for better writing. You can always begin Beyond Little Hearts slowly, if you would like, and build up to full-speed. The spelling words follow a predictable pattern/rule and begin with 2 and 3 letter words. There are usually a few commonly misspelled words at the end of each list to learn too. My older 2 sons each did Beyond Little Hearts at this age, and it was a super fit! :D For my oldest ds, moving on to Bigger Hearts and each subsequent guide has been just right each year. For my middle ds, we've slowed guides down at the start to ease into them half-speed, and then picked them up full-speed. This has fit him and his creative little spirit well! :D With HOD, the pacing options are many, so you can at any point easily slow things down to half-speed should you so desire to do so. :D I think you would really enjoy Beyond Little Hearts. "American Pioneers and Patriots" continues to be an all-time favorite of our sons who have done Beyond. I let them choose at the end of each school year any books from the previous guides they have completed to read just for fun. Someone always chooses to reread "American Pioneers and Patriots." In fact, my avid and pretty advanced reader who is a teenager reread it all over a weekend last summer. :lol: They have fond memories of Beyond and so do I. I can't wait to do it a third time in the fall. I think you and your dd would have an amazing year in Beyond! :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie