Reading Break?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4Hispraise

Reading Break?

Post by 4Hispraise » Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 pm

My 4 yo son is on week 17 of LHFHG and doing great. I was planning on taking a break for summer, but continue with reading & math. But then...life happened. Monday we received a phone call and our home doubled in size within hours...and I am overwhelmed. :shock:

So, I am wondering how to handle reading? Will I be destroying my son's momentum if I stop reading for the summer? I thought that maybe I could just do LHTH for the summer with all of the youngers (3, 4, 5 yo) even though my son has been through it twice. Thoughts?? Will this break cause my ds to struggle with reading in the future or not?? I know that reading takes very little time, so I keep thinking that I could somehow fit it in, but the kids we took in have NO skills...they don't know how to play on their own, can't dress themselves, don't know their letters, haven't drawn or colored, can't use scissors, can't recognize their names, etc. ANYTHING I give them to do has to be CLOSELY supervised. They do not watch television - I've tried Veggie Tales, Leapfrog....they just are unable to sit still for more than a minute. So uncertain how to proceed...just seeing how impossible this is.
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

MitchellFamily

Re: Reading Break?

Post by MitchellFamily » Sun May 19, 2013 7:27 am

I have found at that age it's good to keep rearing without long breaks. I plan on doing our summer library reading program and to loosely continue reading lessons for all. I wouldn't worry about formal school, especially since the others wouldn't be used to it. I imagine you will have your hands full of more important issues like teaching discipline. Mayne look for some fun field trips to do! :D
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Sun May 19, 2013 9:09 am

I agree that you would lose ground if you took an extended break from reading. I did this with my second daughter at around that age (it was only a month off), but she seemed to forget literally everything we had learned (except the letter sounds - although she couldn't even remember her vowel sounds reliably when we came back to it). I ended up switching curriculum and starting from square one because it was too disheartening to repeat the same material. Your son may have better retention than my daughter did, but I think he would certainly forget some of it with no practice all summer.

Could you perhaps enlist your husband or your older son to spend 10 minutes a day watching the others while you work on reading with your son? I think 10 minutes is all you need. Or perhaps your husband would like to do the reading session? My husband enjoys listening to the kids practice their reading. Another option may be a daily session with a reading-based computer game like Reading Eggs.

In my (limited) experience a break in math at that age is no problem.

I agree with the pp that you could hold off on any formal school and focus on all the adjustments that will need to be made...

I am praying that God will bless your family and all the kids in your home at this time.
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks, ladies! I really am so thankful for the wisdom & equally thankful for the prayers....lots of changes around here!
DS - 16

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Sun May 19, 2013 11:39 am

Even if you work on reading hit and miss during the break I think it would be ok. 2 or 3 times per week is better than not at all. You could focus on just reviewing learned skills during those quick sessions. That way your dc won't lose ground and forget, then when life calms down, you can pick up the pace and add more rigor and new concepts.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Congrats on your new family members! :D :D :D You got great advice here! I agree 100%. :D Even if you work on phonics/early reading just 10-15 minutes a day, it will help keep that momentum going. Carrie and I were just talking about this the other day. Phonics and early reading skills are the one thing you really can't afford to take a break from when you are in the early learning stages. You just end up really backing up and basically having to start over. I'd do whatever you have to do to be able to get it in at least 4 days a week. I'm in the same boat, so you are not alone! I am struggling myself, but I find if I do it first thing in the morning, I get it done. :D For your other little sweeties, you may want to have a switch in what they are doing every 15 minutes (i.e. 15 minutes only Leap Frog, 15 minutes snack, 15 minutes puzzle time, 15 minutes outdoors, etc., and then go through that same routine a second time. Then, you can stretch the time increments to 20 minutes, to 30 minutes, etc. as their attention span lengthens. It seems exhausting at first, but they will stretch out and into a routine with consistency. Just an idea to take or leave! :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu May 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Thank you for your wisdom and time.....it is heartbreaking how life changes in a moment. Last night we were contacted & the little sib group that had joined our family - just 10 days after arriving with broken hearts and evidence of severe neglect were being removed because their grandma decided she was fighting for custody - the county decided it was best. Everyone in our family is reeling again. They left within an hour of the call...left just as quickly as they came. WE PRAY THEY TAKE JESUS WITH THEM, that their short time with us, that everyone's heartache accomplishes His purposes.

So, things are back to normal...and...we are all shaking our heads in disbelief, in pain...and are waiting for the blessing of obedience...He will come to us and He will minister to us and to those little babes who desperately need Him....I know He will...
DS - 16

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri May 24, 2013 5:59 am

That is heartbreaking :( Praying for your family and theirs.

As far as reading goes... I'm from a different school of thought. I feel that if they lose ground from taking any kind of break then they weren't really learning it and ready for it to begin with.

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Sending prayers for your family!! We've foster-parented too, and the whole thing is such an emotional whirlwind. Bless you for helping those poor sweet little ones!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 28, 2013 1:31 pm

So sorry to read this! :cry: The Lord has plans for you and a mighty purpose. It may be someone or something else He needs you for more right now. I have prayed for Him to comfort you, and to reveal His good and perfect plan and purpose for your life as well. God bless!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Thank you all for your kind words & for your prayers - they are blessings to us all!

Julie, thank you for the reminder that God has purpose in all He does. We are waiting to see how this all works for His honor and glory and praise.
DS - 16