I miscalculated math!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

I miscalculated math!

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri May 17, 2013 8:30 am

I realized a few months ago that while Jayden is perfectly placed in math, Grace and Julianna were not. They were well beyond the book they were in at the time. So I decided to let them work at their own pace until they caught up to their level. I ordered what I thought would last us through the next year... I was wrong with Julianna :shock:

When I realized they were in the wrong level, Julianna was in Earlybird 2B (just started it) and Grace was ending 1B. Both of them already knew all the concepts and were just begging to do more every day. Grace finished 2A today, and Julianna is going to be finishing 1A before the end of the month. That means Grace finished 2A in about 2-3 months (I can't remember when she started exactly) and Julianna finished EB2B and 1A in just a little bit longer!! Color me shocked... I didn't realize they were THAT far behind where they needed to be. Basically I do all their other school first, then do math last and let them do however many pages they want to do. I never let them start a new concept on the same day as other math. I make them save that for the next day. Even if it's something they already know.

There are two "bad" things from this revelation... first of all, I ordered through 3B for Grace, so I still should be ok with her for the next year... but I only ordered through 1B for Julianna! I'll be ordering more math before too long ;)

The second thing... I'm having to prepare my older ones for the possibility that they will be combined or even behind their younger sisters at some point. Jayden has just started 4B, and she's perfectly placed. Grace is getting close to where she should be... I think she's going to slow down about the time she hits 3A.

But Julianna... I've said before that she amazes me. She is truly gifted. She already just understands what Jayden is doing. She understands what Grace is doing. I'm not sure when or if she'll ever "catch up" to where she is mentally. She's learning so fast and completely on her own. She's figuring it out all by herself. The only thing I do with her math is teach her math terms. Like today she was doing subtraction and she said "what's subtract?" and I said "take away"... she went on to do the next three pages without another word. She heard Jayden's math yesterday and said "what's a fraction?" I said "part of something" and she started making fractions on her own... adding/subtraction, etc. She was even verging on multiplying and dividing them before I stopped her and made all of them go outside.

I have no idea why I'm posting this other than to get hugs and maybe tips on what to do? I really don't want to hold her back any, but tips on how to handle the older ones...

SCStxRN

Re: I miscalculated math!

Post by SCStxRN » Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 am

I would switch to a different curriculum for her. I don't really know what I would pick - but being in a different math helps her other sisters not see that she is 'past' them so obviously.

There are other things that go along with Singapore, including Challenging Word Problems. I personally use Math Mammoth - not because my children are so super advanced, per se, but because MM appeals to my math brain. I was much like your daughter. FWIW, being good at math doesn't make other things come easily - sometimes it makes it a lot more difficult, honestly.

Steph

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri May 17, 2013 9:14 am

Someone else gave me the wonderful insight to just cover the books with contact paper. :idea: They don't do math at the same time, so other than seeing the covers they have no idea what level the others are on.

I love Singapore... it's how I think math and how I would teach it (and did) without the Singapore books.

FWIW, I was completely gifted in everything math related as a child. I caught up in college when I realized that I needed to change majors and stopped taking math. I don't remember learning a single thing in math. I was much like Julianna. It was all terms that I had to learn, not concepts. And anything related... like grammar or spelling even. All those are are patterns and equations to a mathy person :shock: I really don't remember anything that I couldn't relate to a math concept and learn it easily. I don't remember anything not coming easily. I DO remember not WANTING to do things or not CARING about them enough to learn them... but it wasn't hard. I never had to actually THINK until I got to college.

One more reason I'm thankful for HOD... it really makes them THINK.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 17, 2013 11:17 am

I love the contact paper idea! :D Sounds like a great solution! :D I'd probably eventually slow it down, but you'll know best when to do that. :wink:
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Fri May 17, 2013 12:17 pm

I would switch to a different curriculum for her. I don't really know what I would pick - but being in a different math helps her other sisters not see that she is 'past' them so obviously
I disagree with this. It sounds like Singapore math is an excellent fit for your dc and I would not switch to something else regardless of what level each kid is at. One of the benefits of homeschooling is you can work with each child at their level. Just make sure you are using Singapore to its fullest and that each child is fully grasping the concepts before moving on. If a younger child is ahead of an older I would just not make a big deal about it at all. ;)
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat May 18, 2013 1:48 pm

my3sons wrote:I love the contact paper idea! :D Sounds like a great solution! :D I'd probably eventually slow it down, but you'll know best when to do that. :wink:
In Christ,
Julie
My idea was to slow them down when they get to something they don't already know. When I have to actually teach them something more than just doing the hands on activity one time. I can tell it's coming soon with Grace... next couple of months or so. I don't know that there is anything in 1B or 2A that Julianna doesn't already know? And by the time she finishes those she'll probably have figured out a bunch more.

I believe I already said this, but just in case :wink: I"m not changing math programs. It wouldn't matter what math we use, I'd teach it the same way. And since singapore is already written in that way, it just makes sense to all of us to use that.