World Geography Credits

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tollhousemom

World Geography Credits

Post by tollhousemom » Thu May 16, 2013 11:23 am

There might be a post on this somewhere. Feel free to direct me. Am I correct about the credits that can be awarded for the upcoming World Geography guide?

Science - 1 credit
Bible (Bible + Devotional Study) - 0.5 to 1 credit (?)
English (Composition/Grammar/Literature/Real Books for Literature) - 1 credit
*Not sure where the Living Library fits in
Logic - 0.5 credit
World Religions & Cultures - 0.5 credit
World Geography (including Book of Centuries) - 1 credit
Foreign Language - 0.5 credit
Math - 1 credit

Is that correct?
Thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: World Geography Credits

Post by Carrie » Thu May 16, 2013 6:47 pm

tollhousemom,

This price listing also lists the credits, which will be of help to you! The Living Library is also explained in the price listing. :D Once the new product is on the website, it will all be much clearer. I apologize for the confusion! Below find a link to the price listing that I mentioned above. :D

Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13589&p=97156#p97156

The only change I see in your listing is that the Bible is a full credit.

Blessings,
Carrie

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Thu May 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Thank you!

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 am

I just wanted to think out loud here... :)

We can award our children credits other than what Carrie has listed. I'm thinking of the Living Library. If you look into how high school credits are awarded, considering time, etc, you can award your child a credit for anything that they do during their high school years, as long as you award it appropriately. Of course, it may end up being an elective, and that's okay, but you will want to show it on your child's transcript. At the very least you will show it on a list of books that the student has read. Some colleges are asking homeschoolers for a booklist, some homeschoolers simply add one to the transcript or make a notation that one is available.

If you can write a course description and the child has completed enough work to allow for a 1/2 credit or whole credit, you can give her a credit. I'm really only adding this because some moms may wonder why to even purchase or read the Living Library if they aren't awarding credit for it. :) During a class on homeschooling high school that was done by a veteran homeschool mom and one of the board members of my state's homeschool association, she listed how many books could be considered as a credit for those who are seeking credit in various ways. I can't seem to find it in my files, but I'll email her and try to get that info.

:)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 pm

This is a good discussion! :D I agree that it is so helpful to think out loud. :D

When we're looking at the Living Library, one thing to remember is that it does count as part of your student's credit in World Geography, but it is not required to be able to earn credit in World Geography. So, in thinking through this, what this means is that the World Geography credit that includes the Living Library will be a richer, fuller credit than the credit earned for World Geography without the Living Library. :D All credits are definitely not created equal, and this is one area in which you can see a difference in the time and effort put into earning the credit and in the learning that takes place as a part of that credit. :D

For those families who have kiddos who desire a barer-boned version of the World Geography credit, doing the course without the Living Library is an option. Or, for those families who have budgetary constraints that make it difficult to pursue the fuller credit that includes the Living Library, foregoing the Living Library is also an option.

It's so important though, as we look at the World Geography course and the role of the Living Library within it, to realize that by using the Living Library you are not adding on work that does not count for anything! Instead, by using the Living Library your students are gaining a richer World Geography experience, with a fuller credit. :D This is similar to the difference in the educational experience a child received in our previous guides when we compare the experience of those using only the Economy Package to the experience of those who chose to use the Storytime (Basic Package) too. The richness of the study differs quite a bit depending on what you choose to include. :D This remains true as we head into the high school years, which is why we wanted to be sure to keep the high school level studies filled with wonderful books that bring the eras/time periods/places to life!

Blessings,
Carrie

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 pm

Carrie, just wondering since we're on the topic of the Living Library books, when will the titles be shared? We're looking forward to finding out what's ahead! :wink:
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Fri May 17, 2013 1:49 pm

its so important though, as we look at the World Geography course and the role of the Living Library within it, to realize that by using the Living Library you are not adding on work that does not count for anything! Instead, by using the Living Library your students are gaining a richer World Geography experience, with a fuller credit. This is similar to the difference in the educational experience a child received in our previous guides when we compare the experience of those using only the Economy Package to the experience of those who chose to use the Storytime (Basic Package) too. The richness of the study differs quite a bit depending on what you choose to include. This remains true as we head into the high school years, which is why we wanted to be sure to keep the high school level studies filled with wonderful books that bring the eras/time periods/places to life!
Okay, this makes sense. I should have figured this out on my own. Lol. :) we have always preferred to do the storytime section, and have enjoyed how much it adds to our studies.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH