If you run several guides at once

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
melissamomof3girls

If you run several guides at once

Post by melissamomof3girls » Wed May 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Do you do storytime for all of them? Or do you just combine your kids into one set of storytime books?

I have been doing Bigger, Beyond, & Little Hearts this year. Next year I plan to move everybody up to Preparing, Bigger, & Beyond.
Melissa mama to
19 yo dd
17 yo dd
15 yo dd
12 yo ds
8 yo dd

MitchellFamily

Re: If you run several guides at once

Post by MitchellFamily » Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 pm

I have done both. This year I do storytime each individually for a special end to the day. Last year I did my oldest at the beginning of rest time where all could hear. I like doing it individually but boy it takes a lot of schoolday, depending on the book. I'm curious as to what others do!
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

countrylivin

Post by countrylivin » Wed May 15, 2013 8:09 pm

I am using 4 guides right now, and I am reading seperate storytime for each guide. As a mommy of many, I really like the individual time that it provides me with my children. Besides~ storytime is my personal favorite too:)
Amy
Wife to Jonny
Momma to
DS 19 YWAM
DD 17 college grad
DS 15 World History
DD 13 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 11 Resurrection to Reformation
DS 10 Resurrection to Reformation
DS 8 Bigger Hearts
DD 4 LHTH

http://www.familyrestorationproject.com

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm

I read separate storytime to each of my kids. :)
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Wed May 15, 2013 9:59 pm

countrylivin wrote:I am using 4 guides right now, and I am reading seperate storytime for each guide. As a mommy of many, I really like the individual time that it provides me with my children. Besides~ storytime is my personal favorite too:)

same here!
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu May 16, 2013 5:40 am

My kids do not like to be read to. They never have. I read their story times at night before bed.

My biggest problem is that I'm combining my oldest two. Which means for this go round with CTC we are not reading the books that go along with the history... but I'm planning on going through them with either Grace or Julianna, so they'll all hear them then too. My second biggest problem is that Grace is about 8 units ahead of Jayden. So I have to flip back in Grace's book to see what we are supposed to do in that box.

melissamomof3girls

Post by melissamomof3girls » Thu May 16, 2013 7:21 am

Thank you for all of the replies!
Melissa mama to
19 yo dd
17 yo dd
15 yo dd
12 yo ds
8 yo dd

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 am

I do separate Storytimes, but if I were you, and I had 3 dc in 3 consecutive guides, I don't think I would. :D You are sure about placement, right? I am just asking because it will be busy doing those 3 guides next year. Beyond, Bigger, and PHFHG are the biggest teaching years, with Bigger Hearts being the most teacher time. :wink: Just asking - just to be sure, as your dc are close in age and probably could be combined somehow - maybe the younger 2? Just an idea, but ignore it if all is going well. :wink: For the guides you will be doing, I'd choose either Beyond's or Bigger's Storytime to read aloud to those two dc, and I'd read PHFHG's Storytime to that child, as it is history-based. Or, if you will be stretched too thin by that and be missing other skills in the guides due to time constraints, I'd read Bigger Hearts Storytime to them all. PHFHG is a big history year, with the Deluxe package, so I'd not sweat that too much. What do you think though? :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

melissamomof3girls

Post by melissamomof3girls » Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 am

my3sons wrote:I do separate Storytimes, but if I were you, and I had 3 dc in 3 consecutive guides, I don't think I would. :D You are sure about placement, right? I am just asking because it will be busy doing those 3 guides next year. Beyond, Bigger, and PHFHG are the biggest teaching years, with Bigger Hearts being the most teacher time. :wink: Just asking - just to be sure, as your dc are close in age and probably could be combined somehow - maybe the younger 2? Just an idea, but ignore it if all is going well. :wink: For the guides you will be doing, I'd choose either Beyond's or Bigger's Storytime to read aloud to those two dc, and I'd read PHFHG's Storytime to that child, as it is history-based. Or, if you will be stretched too thin by that and be missing other skills in the guides due to time constraints, I'd read Bigger Hearts Storytime to them all. PHFHG is a big history year, with the Deluxe package, so I'd not sweat that too much. What do you think though? :D

In Christ,
Julie
Yes I'm sure. :) My girls are all about 2 years apart and so very different in skill, attentiveness, etc. We tried a curriculum in the past that combined and it was a big fail. It works so much better for us to have one-on-one. :) Thank you for the suggestion though. :)
Melissa mama to
19 yo dd
17 yo dd
15 yo dd
12 yo ds
8 yo dd

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 am

Great - sounds like things are going well, and placement has been solid! I love to hear that. Have a wonderful year, and I still think you could choose 1 or 2 Storytimes should you so desire! :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie