Preparing question and looking for Catholics

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sarah77

Preparing question and looking for Catholics

Post by Sarah77 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:58 am

HI. Couple of questions.
1. We did Beyond with my DD in 2nd grade. We got so behind that I dont even think we got halfway. We had an options program one day a week and another co-op another day a week. I was so diappointed in myself I just let it all go. So this year, Ive pieced things together and we did very well. I keep coming back to HOD tho because it is so complete. I miss the Bible component and all of the wonderful literature selections. Next year she could do Preparing but we are still gone one, sometimes two days a week. Am I setting myself up for failure again? Do you think it would be horribly lazy of me to have the goal of completing in 2 (gasp) years??? I will be bringing my other two kiddos home next year as well so going from one (supergirl) to three might kill me in itself! What do you think?

2. And the age old question that Ive asked 100 times....any Catholics out there? I have some questions when it comes to the older guides. :)

Hope you all have a very blessed day. Sarah

Tracee

Re: Preparing question and looking for Catholics

Post by Tracee » Wed May 15, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm not sure what your dd's skill level is, but we took 2 years to do Beyond. I think it's fine to take 2 years to do a guide. You need to do what works for your family. Are you going to skip the Bigger guide?

Although I probably would be considered protestant now, I was born and raised Catholic. I have a family full of people who love Jesus and faithfully attend a Catholic church. :D

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

blessedmom

Post by blessedmom » Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Why not plan to work on Preparing only the days you are home and plan for it to take 2 years?
It's taken me a long time to stop trying to "fit it all in" and relax. It's okay for the guide to last longer than a year and actually enjoy it and reap the benefits of what is in it than try to cram it in a certain amount of time. I am going through Beyond a second time. The first time I super rushed it so my dd at the time so we could get to the guide I thought she should be in. It was crazy. Not exactly sure what she got out of it. This time through I am way behind in my mind, but I am noticing things I missed the first time. It's much more rich this time and this dd is able to learn so much more. Better a little and actually learn than so much so fast and not catch a thing :).
Just an idea.

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Wed May 15, 2013 2:58 pm

We'll be doing Bigger and Preparing over 3 years, adding in some outside the home activities. I think as long as you keep moving forward and make sure her reading and math is constant you'll do fine.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

marybeth33

Post by marybeth33 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 pm

One thing I have noticed as my dd is doing Res to Ref, there are notes in the guide with alerts saying that if you are Catholic, you may want to skip or explain certain parts.

Onduli

Post by Onduli » Thu May 16, 2013 9:50 am

We're Catholic. My 12 year old son is on Unit 4 of Rev to Rev and I will be starting Little Hands to Heaven with my 5 and 3 year old sons next week.

:) Judy
- Judy -
Enjoyed Rev to Rev, MTMM, LHTH
2015-2016: DS14 WG, DS7 Beyond, DS5 parts of LHFHG

Sarah77

Post by Sarah77 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Thank you ladies so much. This whole curriculum choice has been SO difficult.