Amazing Field Trip for HOD Students

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffini

Amazing Field Trip for HOD Students

Post by Tiffini » Sun May 12, 2013 11:12 am

We have a family tradition (my parents started it with us) of taking the kids on a weekend trip with Mom and Dad alone for their 13th birthday. When there are a lot of kids around, it is a rare treat to have one on one time with our kids and they with us! I was excited to take our twins' birthday trips recently.

We took our son to Dearborn, MI, to the Henry Ford Museum. Even though we live less than 5 hours away, I had never heard of this place until reading the Henry Ford book in Rev2Rev this year. At the end of the book, it mentions the museum and we just knew that's where we had to take him for his birthday trip!

It was so incredible! Almost every single thing we've learned about in the Inventor Study and many things we learned in the History study were there. The original McCormick reapers, the original steam engines, Henry Ford's original quadricycle, the actual chair Abraham Lincoln was sitting in when he was shot, an exhibit on the 56 signers of the Constitution, an exhibit on the World's Fairs, a life-size replica of the Wright Bros. flyer with Wilbur Wright on it and on the sand dune, the actual bus that Rosa Parks rode on, and SO much more!

And to top it off, the second day, we went to Henry Ford's outdoor living museum, Greenfield Village. Mr. Ford took the actual buildings of famous people and took them apart brick by brick, transported them to the village and rebuilt them there! It's truly amazing! We actually walked through the original Menlo Park, which was probably our favorite part of the whole visit, after reading so much about Edison over the years in HOD. Henry Ford's home, the shed where he built the quadricycle, the schoolhouse he attended, the Wright Bros. home and bicycle shop, George Washington Carver's home, and on and on and on.

My son knew so much about everything we saw because he had learned so much about it already in HOD, and especially with this year of study in Rev2Rev. It was so cool to see the things we have only read about and to gain an even deeper understanding of these people and places. I was so encouraged to see how much of what he had learned in HOD stayed with him and all that he remembered from his readings and narrations. :D

If you are ever within driving distance of this place, I very highly recommend it - especially after studying the Rev2Rev year!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Molly

Re: Amazing Field Trip for HOD Students

Post by Molly » Sun May 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Tiffini, that sounds like a tremendous trip. I also really love your idea about taking the children away for a weekend. We may do something similar seeing that we will have our first 13yr old next year.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

Elsie

Post by Elsie » Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

We were jet there today! We live an hour away. It is a wonderful place!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 17, 2013 9:19 am

What a neat tradition, Tiffini! :D You are making such special memories with your 13 yo dc. They will certainly remember their special trips through the years and realize that becoming a teenager is a new chapter in their lives. :) That museum sounds like it was incredible! I'm so glad you shared this idea here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri May 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Our neighbor has family there and highly recommended it. If we ever get a chance to go that far north it is on our planned agenda.
Thanks for sharing!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)