worried to continue on!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rockridgegal

worried to continue on!!!

Post by rockridgegal » Sun May 05, 2013 9:17 am

hello Ladies !!
I have been here before and posted this issue before and need some guidance .
I have HS for 3 years and have a 9 year old son who is currently doing BIgger.. This is our first year with HOD and love it !!! I am in week 20 day 5 and just gave him his achievement test last week and found a lot of things not covered yet on the CAT test and read the test to him due to his struggling reading. I knew he struggled but wanted to know how much information he knew. He did pretty good except for the topics we haven't covered.
My question after administering this test is; I think I may need to stop the BIgger and concentrate on the reading and Math skills for the summer and then finish Bigger slowly in the fall. I have already purchased Prepared and looking at it , he would not be able to complete these independent parts. I am wondering if anyone has a better idea or suggestion?
I purchased Spell, Read and Write to help with the reading and reaching for straws !!! He will be 10 in November and Dad and I feel like his lightbulb will NEVER go off. HELP !!

Looking forward to the conference in Winston Salem ,NC to see you gals !!!!

Kim

Mombeck

Re: worried to continue on!!!

Post by Mombeck » Sun May 05, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Kim,
I also have a little anxiety as this will be my first year administering the CAT with my girls ages 8 and 12. It is my understanding that most achievement tests purposely have content that is not expected to be learned in the present grade. For instance, there will probably be division problems for a student who has just completed 2nd grade and division isn't even taught this year. I do plan to have my daughters brush up on a few skills like measurements in case it is tested. I just don't know if it's really worthwhile to stop working on Bigger. I have heard that the tests have to test above present grade level to give an accurate assessment of students who are working above grade in reading or math.

I just plan to tell my daughters that they may come across problems/questions that they can not answer and that's ok. :) Just do your best and you will do fine! I hope this helps. I'm sure other families with more experience will also comment.

Take care,
Rebecca
wife to my dh for 31 years
dd 29 teaching degree
dd 26 college graduate with English degree
ds 20 2 year Associate Arts degree, working to return to college
dd 17 PSEO classes
dd 13 MtMM Fall ‘18
ds 10 Bigger Fall ‘18

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Sun May 05, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks Rebecca ...

Yes ...there was 1 or 2 questions about measurement and multiplication and division as well . A lot of Language Arts that we have not even done. I am just worried that I missed something starting at Bigger and will not get to cover in Prepared thus wondering what I need to go back and teach which I may have missed not doing the program prior to Bigger... Thanks for your insight ...Good luck with your testing !

Kim

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Kim,

If you could answer a few questions, we can get a better feel for what your son needs. First, since you are new to HOD this year, we need to know whether your son has been completely through a phonics program? :D Has he done a phonics program with you from beginning to end, or have you jumped around a bit? If so, can you share a bit about what programs he's tried and how much he's gotten through?

Next, can you share if your son is getting a chance to do all of Bigger each day as written? Or, what pace are you currently going? Is he doing all of the writing required within the plans (and the spelling and Rod and Staff English)? If you can shed some light on these areas that will help too. :D

After that I'm wondering if he's had his eyes checked recently or had any tracking type tests to see how he tracks words on a page (or any tests you've had thus far for his vision)? This can make such a big difference especially at his age.

Last, can you share a bit about how he reads? Does he still sound out every word? Does he make many mistakes when trying to decode a word, or many mistakes as he's reading? Does he seem to have any understanding of what he is reading? Does he do alright with small words? If you have him go through a set of phonics flashcards, or a list of sounds, can he tell you most of them? Any insight you can share that you can think of will help us help you better with advice. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Sun May 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks Carrie !!!

Ok .. we did MFW for 1st grade and then Time for Learning last year. We completed the Phonics with MFw and then again with TIme for Learning and we did the Abeka Handbook for reading .. I did complete all of these yet he seemed to go slowly.
We start school in the afternoon due to I am a practicing nurse in the am. We start school at 2 pm and work til about 5-530pm each Monday - Friday and I do all the sections of the Bigger program . I do the Rod and Staff oral sometimes and written sometimes . He loves writing in Cursive and always does well on his spelling words for that week. We do the writing on the Science Lab as well. He read as far as Prairie School and that was hard for him but he survived. I have not had his eyes checked since age 6 so will address that issue again.
When Jake reads he is slow and does sometimes sound out words and sometimes not . He states not all the words can be sounded out, Correct ! He tends to run his finger underneath the words but passes the next word before finishing the previous word. His spelling is pretty good and that is what puzzles me. He likes to read Fly Guy books and Inspector Hopper . Those are like 1st grade and maybe a little into 2nd grade. He does understand what he is reading . Fluency is not there but does comprehend . His narrations are pretty good. he does make mistakes while decoding a word but corrects them sometimes . I hate to sound like he can not read at all. He has improved a little over the year Hubby and I have noticed but not to where I feel he should be. Small words are even sometimes hard for him and other times not. Have not done Phonics flashcards or sounds only the program listed above. He LOVES to be read to during the day and especially at bedtime with both of us. He is an only child so not a lot of influence from other kids except Mom and Dad.
Last year was tested by the Peabody test and showed a reading level of 2.4 and that was at the end of the 2nd grade .

Carrie I respect and appreciate your opinion and look forward to some help. Hubby and I are at a loss .

Also forgot to mention.... He still flips B and D and 8 and 9 .... Bless his heart !!

Kim

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Kim,

Thanks so much for taking time to come back and share more about your son. It really helps to gain a clearer picture of where he is reading-wise. From what you've shared, I'd say that it is possible that your son has never actually gotten to the 2nd grade phonics-instruction level. What I mean is that by doing MFW 1st grade and then switching to Time4Learning, it is pretty likely that your son got a solid introduction to typical first grade skills, but may not have gotten through all the phonics he needs to know in order to read well. In actuality, phonics instruction typically runs through K, 1st, and 2nd grades (increasing in difficulty and adding sound combinations as you go). Kiddos often don't need to take all 3 years to go through all needed sounds, but they do need to go through all the needed sounds and know them before "graduating" from formal phonics instruction. :D

With this in mind, often when we change phonics programs mid-stream, you can end up missing the typical "2nd" grade level of phonics instruction. Since you own Sing, Spell, Read, Write, you could go from the beginning of that program (skipping much of the writing and doing the singing, spelling, and reading or whatever pieces help him learn and practice using the sounds). Just make sure to go through all needed sounds to the very end of the program. Or, if that feels too lengthy (which to me it would, since it is a full K-2nd grade program), you could instead choose any 2nd grade level phonics/reading program and take him through just that level for the rest of his phonics instruction. There are many out there to choose from, however I'd lean away from those that will bog you down with a lot of writing (and spelling) and instead just worry about getting the phonics down. :wink: He'll need more than just drilling the sounds, as he'll actually need to read controlled books or stories that practice those new sound combinations, which is why it would be good to have a program for that. Bigger will cover your needed writing, copywork, spelling, and English skills. So, you're truly looking for a reading only type program and only for the last chunk of sounds more typical to 2nd grade. :wink: Another thing that you could look into is a book called Reading Reflex. It is helpful in making sure kiddos have all the sound pictures/phonograms they need to read well. It takes a different approach than a purely phonetic approach, but we used it during my school teaching days for third/fourth grade to help kiddos who were struggling as readers and it does work. There are many reviews out there on it too. :D

I would definitely get your son's eyes checked too. Third and fourth grade are the most common years for a child's eyesight to take a turn and for him/her to need glasses. This could be another huge factor in your son's reading. :D I'd make an appointment for him as soon as possible to rule this out.

Next, as far as Bigger Hearts goes, I wouldn't stop the daily pace you are on, since it sounds like your son is handling all of the other areas well except for the reading. I would just keep going doing a day in a day. When you take your summer break, I would work on only reading for the summer. Then, in the fall, I'd pick Bigger back up where you left off and keep on going. Don't worry about Preparing Hearts right now. Kiddos can change so much over time, and even if you took no summer break from Bigger, you'd still have a minimum of 14 weeks left (which is 4 and 1/2 months, or half a calendar school year). With any kind of a break, you're 6 months away from finishing Bigger now. That is a long time in the world of kids! :D

Finishing at a 2.4 Reading Level would put him at the beginning of the Emerging Reader's Set. If he made it all the way to Prairie School that's quite good! That is where many kiddos begin to hit a bump in the road, as the text gets longer and harder and the pictures begin to go away.

One thing that has helped my kiddos at the Emerging Reader's Level is to practice reading their pages to themselves (reading it aloud) before they come and read to me. This gives them confidence, allows them practice time to sort out their words they're not sure of, and makes their reading time with me more enjoyable. When you finish your formal tour through phonics, I'd pick the Emerging Reader's Set up again. You may have to back up to get him reading more confidently in the Emerging Reader's Set, so you'll have to weigh how far you want to back up. Also, it is good to add in any of the extra books suggested for each week. These are great for practicing more on a similar reading level. :D

I hope something here helps as you're pondering.

Blessings,
Carrie

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Sun May 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks So much Carrie ........!!!! :D

I tend to agree with you about the phonics ... I felt like the change from MFW to Abeka and then Time for Learning... He never really got it well which is why I kept changing learning styles. He is a hyperactive little fella and thought maybe it was just because he didn't want to do it and was hard to sit still. :roll:

I may go back while I am continuing Bigger and repeat some of his emerging readers. He is very confident when he reads well.
I felt like he wasn't that far behind but knew I needed something. I will definitely focus only on reading this summer and hope the spell, read and write helps us .

Along with all this I will get his eyes checked for tracking . I have read a lot about that and wondered if that was about time to have him checked for that issue.

You are such a blessing and I am so thankful I found HOD and I have confidence that God will continue to guide Hubby and me as to where to go and what to do . Will keep you updated and look forward to seeing you at NC conference in a couple of weeks . :wink:

Bless you !
Kim

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Kim,

I just wanted to mention that I updated my post above to add a few more suggestions, and it looks like we were both typing at the same time. Hopefully, this will help as you ponder your options. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Sun May 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks Carrie ....

I am making him an appointment tomorrow ... and thanks again so much for your help .

Kim

tjneary99

Post by tjneary99 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 am

Hi,
Carrie's suggestion to get vision checked is a great one too. I have several friends whose children have struggled with reading due to vision problems. Their problems were corrected with vision therapy not glasses. For one of the kids, her eyes would not focus together, so she could not read through phonics but only whole words. That is just one example...through therapy, her eyes are learning to focus together rather than separately. This problem seems to be fairly underdetected, so it is good to get a check up.
Blessings to you,
Jen
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17[/color]

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks Jen !!! I have an appointment with his regular eye MD on May 20 and hope to have some answers. :)

Kim

SCStxRN

Post by SCStxRN » Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

My wiggle worm has finally made the link between letters and sounds THROUGH spelling - specifically, "all about spelling". It's made such a difference - in reading and spelling - that it will stay in our school day even with HOD. It is expensive, but the subsequent levels are cheaper.

After the eye exam, I would look into scotopic sensitivity if tracking remains a significant issue. Irlen.com has information as well as a list of people who are able to screen and test for that. It makes enough of a difference that my former boss, who is nearly blind without her glasses, found that the colored transparency made as much a difference in her ability to read as wearing her glasses did. Using the transparency while wearing her glasses tripled her fluency as an adult with dyslexia.

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Thu May 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Update !!!!!!

Jake started using the Reading reflex and WOW !!!!
I found a lot of holes and we have started working on those these past 2 weeks and during his reading sessions I am seeing results !!
Our eye exam is set for Monday but I am feeling a little encouraged.
I appreciate the advise all you ladies have given me and hope to continue to see improvement .
Received his CAT scores today and of course they show the slightly below average in everything due to him having to read the test .

Hopefully next year will be better .

Keep Praying !!

Kim

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 pm

That sounds so exciting Kim to see the progress. I have similar issues with my 7 1/2 yr DS. We are doing a few different things now and just in the last week, his desire to read has increased which is amazing.

I pray that it continues to improve for you both.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH