Writing in PHFHG question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kmom

Writing in PHFHG question

Post by kmom » Sat May 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi,
We are planning to us PHFHG for our 3rd grade dd in the fall. I have a question about what to do with the writing though. We have not used HOD this year (I am soooo excited to be using it in the fall!) so we had continued with copywork, narrations, and just beginning the writing portion of IEW's PAL program. I am not sure we will finish before we stop for a summer break and had originally planned to pick up with their next program in 3rd grade. So my question is should I just leave PAL alone and follow Preparing's lessons? She already writes or dictates narrations for history and science to me and has really grown this year in her ability to include a lot of details, especially when she dictates. So far she really enjoys the writing program and I wasn't sure if I should stop it or add it to next year. Could I do the other program along with Preparing? If so, do I need to omit the writing with the poetry? I actually loved that part lol. I would appreciate any thoughts on this or if anyone has had any experience with using both programs.
Thank you for any advice!

lucsch

Re: Writing in PHFHG question

Post by lucsch » Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Are you sure she is ready for Preparing? Make sure you check the placement charts, especially the parts concerning reading and writing ability. I personally would not do Preparing prior to 4th grade.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon May 06, 2013 2:38 pm

The writing in Preparing is sufficient in itself so I wouldn't add anything to it. It will take her through step by step doing written narrations, the mechanics of writing will be covered in Rod and Staff, and creative writing will be covered in the poetry. It's a wonderful varied approach to writing that covers the discipline well. I think adding anything to it would be overkill and probably add too much length to your day. Preparing is a pretty full day already so I wouldn't want to add anything at all to it. You will have your 5th day each week free though since Preparing is a 4 day per week curriculum. So if you want to add something extra, the fifth day is a great place to do that. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

MitchellFamily

Post by MitchellFamily » Mon May 06, 2013 2:57 pm

I use it for 3rd. There is an age range there, so whether or not one chooses to use it for 3rd or 4th just depends on where their child's skills are! Writing is a big part of it, so if the sample week looks good for where your child is at, you're good to go!
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)