handwriting questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenireneof3

handwriting questions

Post by queenireneof3 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Hello...

I am wondering what your advice would be on transitioning my son from Handwriting Without Tears to either the Italic B or A Reason for Handwriting A. He is 6, going on 7 in June. We started with HWT before I put him in ps for K. Unfortunately, I could not homeschool him that year (k), but we all survived. :) When I brought him home for first grade, we had to start at the beginning with his capital letters because he had developed bad habits of formation. Now, after his first grade year, we have finished HWT 1st grade book (well, most of it) and I have him copying his memory verses to make a nice book (kind of from the inspiration of A Reason for Handwriting).

So next year, I am pretty sure I will be doing LHFHG with him and my daughter and will hold off on the spelling lists in Beyond until he is farther along with his reading.

I would like to transition him to one of the recommended resources for Handwriting in the LHFHG guide. They both look great. It seems that the letter formation in the Italic B would be an easier transition from HWT. However, I love the idea of writing Scripture and he would be motivated to do well by giving his work away. The reviews I found on the Italic B program are glowing. I love the look of it, better than ball and stick, but I would miss the Scripture. Any advice or tips for me?

Thank you! (The forums have been really helpful for me to read through to help make many decisions!)
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

MitchellFamily

Re: handwriting questions

Post by MitchellFamily » Sat May 04, 2013 7:43 am

I guess you could always add your own scripture as copywork. My kids have done better with a more natural approach to handwriting (ie Italics or HWT) so even though I miss the verses from A Reason for Handwriting, their handwriting is looking better with the other options. But at your son's age maybe he could still write his memory verse on nice paper and decorate it to send it to someone or hang it up!
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 am

Thank you MitchellFamily. I was able to find some more sample pages online at christianbook.com that helped me see more inside the Italics book. It looks really great. After HWT, I think it would be a much easier transition so that he doesn't get frustrated and always feel like handwriting is a chore.

I noticed they sell a Italics teacher's guide. Is this recommended or used in HOD? Also, does HOD use Italic book C? I see Book D scheduled in Bigger.
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

MitchellFamily

Post by MitchellFamily » Sat May 04, 2013 5:24 pm

I find the guides unnecessary, although if HOD recommended it I would get it. I'm not sure on the sequencing either -sorry!
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)