Any one homeschooling in Colorado?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

Any one homeschooling in Colorado?

Post by happyhomeschooling » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi, I am a first time homeschooling mom in Colorado,
and wondering if anyone else is in my state.

It would be great to share resources! I would love to hear from you. Thanks Lesley :D
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Laura in CO

We are...

Post by Laura in CO » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:57 am

Hi Lesley!
We moved to CO last fall; we're in SW Denver. We've been homeschooling since the beginning. I just found HOD a few months ago and am planning to do Bigger and Beyond this fall.
Nice to "meet" you!
Laura
Mom to four young ladies, ages 8, 6, 5, and 3

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:41 am

Hello Laura in Colorado, Welcome to our Beautiful state! We have lived here for 17 years. We consider Colorado our promised land :D .
We live north of Denver, But my husband works in Denver. Do you love it here? I hope that you do. Colorado has fairly conservative homeschooling laws, although I believe they have just changed the age, at which you submit your letter of intent from 7yrs old down to 6yrs old.
We have one daughter, 5, and we have been using Little hearts since Jan. We would like to get into a homeschool group or co-op esecially since she is an only child. We will probably also join chec, once she is being homeschooled "legally". I know they do testing, so that you do not have to test through the public school. Anyway very nice to meet you Laura! Would love to corrispond with you more.
Lesley
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:51 pm

we just moved to Metro Denver also!

maybe we all need to meet somewhere :wink:
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:13 pm

That would be fun! :D

Laura in CO

CHEC conference

Post by Laura in CO » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Are either of you going to the CHEC conference next weekend?

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:21 pm

I just heard about the chec conference on the radio.
Do you have to be a member to go?
I really should go look at their web site and get more info on it.
Like I said I am pretty new at homeschooling and I am very green, I still dont know how all of these things work :lol:

Laura in CO

CHEC conference

Post by Laura in CO » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 pm

You don't have to be a member to go to the conference.

The cost is slightly prohibitive; I think it's $69. Husbands may be free. There are tons of vendors selling a plethora of curricula and other homeschooling supplies. It can be overwhelming, but if you know that you'll be using HOD, you won't be as confused as I was the first time I went.

The speakers can be quite inspiring and very helpful to new homeschoolers. I'm pretty sure they have a list of speakers outlined specifically for newcomers.

If you don't go this year, you should try to go next year. Dh and I have always used it as a date weekend, but even if you can just make it on Saturday you would learn a lot.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi ladies! HOD will have several booths at the Denver show, just so you know - we'd love to see you there! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Laura in CO

Thursday?

Post by Laura in CO » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi Julie!
I think the only time we'll be able to come is Thursday evening. Will you be there?
(Dh is getting his wisdom teeth out on Friday morning, and I'm not sure he'll feel up to coming to the conference on Saturday.)
I'd love to meet you!
Laura

my3sons

Re: Thursday?

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 am

Laura in CO wrote:Hi Julie!
I think the only time we'll be able to come is Thursday evening. Will you be there?
(Dh is getting his wisdom teeth out on Friday morning, and I'm not sure he'll feel up to coming to the conference on Saturday.)
I'd love to meet you!
Laura
Hi Laura! Both Carrie and I will be taking care of the HOD booth, and we'd love to meet you, so please stop by. :D My experience with having wisdom teeth removed was not a very good one :shock: - you probably have a good plan for having dh stay home after that. I hope it goes well for him, and hope to see you in Denver!

In Christ,
Julie :lol:
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

sevenfromheaven

Post by sevenfromheaven » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi there! We live in North Denver, as well! I was thrilled to see
that a number of you live in the area...and would love to get together!
My husband and I plan to attend the CHEC conference, and are sincerely looking forward to meeting Carrie and Julie! :D
Marianne
Mom to seven blessings - 4mo, 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 10
Wife to my precious best friend
Using Little Hands To Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Bigger, and DITHOR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:54 am

Sound great, Marianne! Hope to see you there!
:D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 am

I will not be able to attend the CHEC confrece this year unfortuanatly :( .
My husband is out of town and I do not know Denver as good as he does.
(being that we live in the Ft. Collins area, I only know the parts of Denver where we do our field trips to ie: The zoo, Childrens museum, butterfly pavillion ect. :lol: )

Prayerfully we will make it next year. I look forward to meeting everyone.

I also would love to tell Carrie and Julie in person how they have blessed me and have enriched our homeschool life in person.!!!!!

From the info I have read it sounds like they will have a plethera of dynamite info, that would be right up my ally.
Have a great time ladies and hope to see you next year for sure :D .
Blessings to all,
Lesley

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 am

We'll miss you, Leslie! :cry: We'll hope to see you there next year! :D

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie