Using Extensions with Older Child

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
thehummers

Using Extensions with Older Child

Post by thehummers » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:16 pm

We are new to HOD and have been loving using it this year. My oldest three children have been combined this year for Bigger (two third graders and a fifth grader). We are using the extensions for my fifth grader and it has been a great fit for everyone. I plan to use Preparing with extensions next year, but looking beyond that I start to get confused. Now that there are guides coming out for high school, should I at some point move her up to a higher guide without extensions? If so, what guides should she skip? They all look so good, I hate to skip any of them! But if we continue at our current pace and do one guide a year, she will finish MtM in her 10th grade year and not even hit the high school guides until 11th grade. What is recommended for kids in this scenario?

Thank you for your input!
Shannon
Busy Mama of 7 :D

my3sons

Re: Using Extensions with Older Child

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi Shannon, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D I'm so glad you and your dc are enjoying Bigger Hearts. It sounds like a wonderful year - congrats! :D As far as looking ahead, your oldest dd will have several options with HOD. HOD purposely is offering several paths through high school, so we can choose a pacing best fitting each of our dc. For your dd, she could do the following...

Bigger Hearts - 5th
PHFHG - 6th
CTC - 7th
RTR - 8th
RevtoRev - 9th (first half of American History; already include Advanced Physical Science high school option; can do DITHOR 6/7/8 with high school titles/R & S English/writing for English credit)
MTMM - 10th (second half of American History)
World Geography - 11th
World History - 12th

This would meet her history credits, and there are ample ideas for beefing up science for MTMM already for high school. The rest of the years would already be high school credit worthy for science, history, English, electives, Bible credit - math you'd just choose the appropriate levels and pacing for dd. So - no need to skip anything unless you want to separate dd because you feel it's a better placement for her. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 am

Shannon,

My3sons already did a great job of helping you! :D I'll just pop-in to add a link to this thread currently running on the board that may be of help to you too. Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13638

Blessings,
Carrie

thehummers

Post by thehummers » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Thank you, Julie and Carrie! This is really helpful. I'm looking very forward to meeting you at Arlington! :D

Shannon

WhisperedAbundance

Post by WhisperedAbundance » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am

{my3sons}

Thank you for sharing the yearly layout. I am purposely choosing to teach my girls toward the upper age-level of each guide to fully utilize as much of the literature as we can :) There are so many good books in the extensions, that I would have a hard time missing them with my girls. I love the flexibility to enhance our days with extra things because my girls are on the older ends of the guides and it isn't a struggle to introduce new things.
2013-2014 {Little Hands, left-side Beyond, & Rev2Rev w/Extensions}
Matthew 12:34 ..."For out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."