Preparing Question/New to Homeschooling

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
plumgirl

Preparing Question/New to Homeschooling

Post by plumgirl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:34 pm

I will be bringing my daughter home from private school in the fall to begin homeschooling 4th grade. I'm planning to use the Preparing Hearts for His Glory curriculum. I am new to homeschooling and am just wondering if I'll need to supplement this curriculum with any additional geography, spelling and handwriting (or maybe the handwriting is covered via copywork)? Thank you so much in advance for your insight.
God Bless!
~Married for 15 years to my sweetheart~
Mother of two by Ethiopian adoption:
DD ~ 9
DS ~ 6
~In the process of adopting two more precious blessings~

twoxcell

Re: Preparing Question/New to Homeschooling

Post by twoxcell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:44 pm

No supplementation is necessary for Preparing. It is a complete curriculum. Of course you could always add things if it strikes your fancy. ;)
Geography is covered once a week. Students learn about and find countries from their history lessons and they also learn Geography terms and concepts i.e. lines of latitude/longitude, oceans, continents etc. Spelling is learned through dictation, there are 3 levels to choose from. Handwriting is done daily through assigned copywork. No other handwriting is necessary unless you dd/ds has not learned cursive. My ds does R&S Spelling and the dictation because he needs the extra practice with spelling. Preparing is a wonderful guide enjoy! :D
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:01 pm

We're about to finish up Preparing for my dd's 5th gade year. We don't add in anything extra, love it just the way it is! :D

Enjoy!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

plumgirl

Post by plumgirl » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 am

Thank you so much for your replies! I appreciate it. I've read so many wonderful things about HOD and the Preparing curriculum. I'm so excited to get started!
Blessings!
~Married for 15 years to my sweetheart~
Mother of two by Ethiopian adoption:
DD ~ 9
DS ~ 6
~In the process of adopting two more precious blessings~

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:25 pm

We don't add a thing. It is wonderful just the way it is!
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!