How do you combine Storytime??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Larica

How do you combine Storytime??

Post by Larica » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Hello ladies! I have one dd on Unit 25 of Bigger and one dd on Unit 5 of Beyond. As you can see, we just recently got started with Beyond. I also have 3 younger children coming along (one in LHTH). I've seen mention of a recommendation to combine children for the storytime portion of the guides, but I'm not sure how that works. Specifically, my Bigger dd is in the humor genre and my Beyond dd is in adventure. To combine them, wouldn't I have to skip to a different section of one of their guides to follow the plans? Is that the intent? I always thought the genres were sequenced in purposeful way, but maybe not? Also, at the moment both daughters' storytime books correspond to the genres they are doing in DITHOR. I like that since the character traits line up. To maintain that, DITHOR would have to be rearranged too. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? The reason I am thinking about this is because I am suddenly spending quite a bit of time reading aloud, which I don't mind, but it is lengthening our days (18 pages/day for one dd and 11 pages/day for the other). Thanks for any help!

Erica :)
Erica
mom to 5, ages 7 to 15
Enjoyed LHTH to WH so far!

netpea

Re: How do you combine Storytime??

Post by netpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Erica,
I never combined their storytimes, but I used to split the readings up. I might read some of the history over breakfast., read a storytime book over lunch and save the other storytime book for bedtime. Some times we just saved both storytime books for bedtime because we enjoyed reading then.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

mom23

Re: How do you combine Storytime??

Post by mom23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm

I know that in Preparing the Storytime titles line up with the History being studied, but I don't think that's true of the earlier guides (I never noticed that to be the case, anyway!) Also, DITHOR can be done in any order-you can choose to do the genres so they could line up with your storytime genre, or not. Whatever your preference. So, if you wanted to combine for storytime, you would just choose which guide's titles you wanted to use and use the box for Storytime plans that correspond from that guide. I don't think you'd have to add extra activites from the other guides. We haven't done this-because some of the guides don't lend themselves so easily to combining as Beyond and Bigger do; but in your case I think it would work well fwiw! :)
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing