Okay. What exactly is half-speed?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Okay. What exactly is half-speed?

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I know I've seen this "defined" here before, and differently by many people. I'm interested in how YOU define half-speed, and also how Carrie/Julie define it, as well. Of course, I can't find any threads when searching. So, please indulge me! I thought it was do the left side one day and the right side the next...but that doesn't sound right to me. If you do that, your kids aren't doing math every day? (Also, they wouldn't do Bible every day, which would be a bummer to me.) I've only gone up to Bigger so far, so not sure if half-speed is different for the older guides.

Thanks so much!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

my3sons

Re: Okay. What exactly is half-speed?

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:58 pm

HI Monica! Great question, and one that has many varied answers! :D Half-speed (or maybe 'part-speed' would be better as the amounts vary? :lol: ) can look very different in different homes and situations, and there isn't one right way. That being said, it is helpful when you are considering going half-speed to consider the different options with your child in mind. :D Here are few options I've used, thought of, or heard of...

1. full-speed LA and math, half-speed everything else
2. half-speed everything, left page one day, right page the next day
3. check off the boxes as you go, half of the boxes one day, the remaining half of the boxes the other day; always finishing a day's worth of plans within 2 days
4. certain amount of time 'speed' within 2 pages of plans (i.e. teacher blocks of time "x" amount of time, independent blocks of time "x" amount of time, when the time is up it's up; this is working from 2 pages all of the time and never getting ahead so that the guide's plans aren't all messed up; so, you either work from the left and right pages for the day, or if the left page is done from the right and the next left page of plans; hope that makes sense!) :D
5. certain amount of time 'speed' (i.e. teacher block, student block, get as far as you do, pick up where you left off yesterday)

Here is a link to some schedules/tips ladies shared about going half-speed...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5600&p=41232#p41232

Here are some other pacing options that aren't half-speed but are not full-speed either...
1. 4 days a week full-speed, taking the fifth day off, starting on Monday where you left off (LHTH through Bigger Hearts are 5 day a week plans, so this would be in regard to one of those guides, as the older guides PHFHG through World Geography are already 4 day a week plans)
2. do LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond Little Hearts, and Bigger Hearts 4 days a week taking the fifth day off, and in 5 years you will have completed all of the guides
3. doing DITHOR with everyone as it comes up in the oldest child's plans, which results in completing 4-5 genres a school year
4. starting half-speed with a guide, going full-speed; starting the next year finishing that guide full-speed, starting the next guide half-speed; starting the next year finishing that guide - which would result in finishing 2 guides in 3 years

When to Drop Back a Guide and When to Go Half-Speed:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9000&p=65878#p65878

HTH! But ask questions, for sure! :D HOD full-speed is awesome too, and usually what works best, but if a different pacing is needed due to dc's needs, health needs, time constraints, life changes, etc. it is sure nice to have other options. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks, Julie!!!

I have been reading so many threads here recently and have found myself getting really frustrated whenever I see people say "half speed". I decided to just ask, as silly as I may look. I really appreciate your answer, and I got way more information than I expected! Now to mull over the different options! My son has used HOD full speed to this point, but as I realize that Preparing is looming on the horizon, I am concerned if we'll be able to keep the pace. I love that we have so many different options.

Thank you!!!!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Glad to help - just one more itty bitty little thought to share in regard to this topic! :D Don't worry about going half-speed until a need presents itself. Typically, if a student is doing all of a guide well at its close, he/she will do all of the next guide well given a little time. Try not to over-think it or over-plan it - just move ahead and if it becomes obvious full-speed is too much, at that point, slow it down. Just my 2 cents for you to take or leave - HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie