"Not to be missed" read alouds from Beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amysue277

"Not to be missed" read alouds from Beyond?

Post by amysue277 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:16 pm

I am piecing together my read aloud books for next year, and would appreciate any recommendations from any of the 3 sets from Beyond. While I'm sure they are all fantastic, which were your absolute favorites?

FYI: The listeners will be 2 boys, then ages 5.2 and 6.8, if that matters. I also have girls coming down the line so it doesn't matter which package they come from. Also, I we will be using books for the following year from Beyond as well, so if any should be saved until they are older, that woud be excellent to know too.

Thanks!
Amy
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

TrueGRIT

Re: "Not to be missed" read alouds from Beyond?

Post by TrueGRIT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Every family is different in what they like.
I also pieced together our read alouds for Beyond - here are our winners:

1. Sword in the Tree - Adventure
My son really enjoyed this one because it was 'boyish' enough for him. There was a slight reference to magic, but my son understood that.

2. Mr Popper's Penguins - Humor
One of my favorites as a child carried over to my boys! I highly recommend this one to anyone. :D
(Famous penguins, traveling, and 'sensationalism - yes, my boy loved this.) There is a difference between the original & movie versions.

3. Charlotte's Web - Fantasy
My son LOVED having a pig and a spider as main characters. He begged for more story each day.

4. Key to the Treasure - Mystery
This was the mystery when we used it, and is now out-of-print, but is well worth reading if you find it. Our library has it.
I read it from my childhood collection of books. I loved having a chance to follow the clues before reading how the 'almost triplets' figured it out.

5. In Grandma's Attic series - Folk Tales
Favorites of mine growing up, and both my sons (at the time 7 & 4.5), loved them as well. Full of a lot of adventure even though it is a girl.

6. Trumpet of the Swan - Fantasy
After reading Charlotte's Web, they wanted more like it so we moved on to this in our extra time. They enjoyed it.

Some others I enjoyed, but not my children so much were -
1. Mountain Born - Realistic Fiction
2. Follow My Leader - also Realistic Fiction
My sons don't think much of the genre, so it's not the books.

The remaining genres I used what I had and they weren't HOD choices. They were okay, but I firmly believe they would have enjoyed the book packs more, and I plan to fill in the gap with the missing books before my younger son starts Beyond this fall.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

I think we have loved every one that we have read - House at Pooh Corner, The Sword in the Tree, Mr. Popper's Penguins, A Lion to Guard Us, Paddington... just to name a few!

I think my kids' favorites were The Cricket in Times Square, Key to the Treasure, and Follow My Leader.
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm

We've liked them all, too! Favorites were Benjamin West, Helen Keller, and Sarah Witcher's Story. We also really enjoyed Little House in the Big Woods, Charlotte's Web, Squanto, Sword in the Tree, If You Lived 100 Years Ago, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Apple and the Arrow, The Cabin Faced West, If You Traveled West in a Covered Wagon, Paddington, and In Grandma's Attic. King of the Wind was good, too, but was probably the hardest read and took a little time to get into.

HTH,
Kathy

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Sword in the Tree and Apple and the Arrow were huge faves with ds. I loved Sarah Whitcher too.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 am

My ds 7, a bit more on the sensitive side, enjoyed:

Sword in the Tree-Adv, :!:
Trumpet of the Swan-Fantasy. :!: ( not so much my fav. Don't care for many books in this genre myself)
Squanto-Biography,
Castleberry farm- Mystery :!: (Carrie has Footprints in the Barn listed. They have excellent character trainig qualities :mrgreen: )
In Gramma's Attic-Folk Tale :!:
Paddington- Humor
N.F.-slipped my mind, lol :lol:
R.F. -My own selection (also chuck full of character training) :mrgreen: :!:
H.F. - My own selection

The ones he enjoyed most have this symbol :!: , but all in all story time is a favorite in our home :D

Success :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 am

We sometimes read 2 books in a genre. My children loved all the ones we read. I think Pagoo was their favorite.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

inhislove

Post by inhislove » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 pm

I found "still more stories from Grandma's Attic" at Goodwill. Do I really need the volume listed to match the plans? Or would this substitution work?

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 pm

I think "still more stories in Grandma's Attic" was scheduled in a later guide as one for the child to read, or maybe in one of the book packs.

We also loved Mr Popper's Penguins, Grandma's Attic, we read Ginger Pye for mystery which was a pretty interesting one. My girls liked the "boy interest" titles just as well as the girl interest. Trumpet of the Swan was pretty fun. I have enjoyed that many are classic titles that I read myself, though not at their age.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Our favorites were:
Key to the Treasure (we bought the rest of the series)
Cricket in Times Square
Mr. Poppers Penguins
Helen Keller (my DD asked to read this again on her own when we were done)
In Grandmas Attic (we bought the rest of the series)
The Twenty-One Balloons (we've read this 3 times already)
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH