Choosing Math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faiths13

Choosing Math

Post by faiths13 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 pm

I have used Christian Light math in the past and liked it. I was wondering if anyone has used this instead of Singapore math? Or Saxon math? I am using Singapore for my Kinder, but Im not sure if I want to continue to use it. I am not a mathy person and I am worried Singapore will be difficult to help my 7th grader with. Thanks!

Mombeck

Re: Choosing Math

Post by Mombeck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:49 am

I used to be a top math student but the years have made me rusty. ;) My 8 year old is advancing well and she recntly started Teaching Textbooks. We really like it as she gets immediate feedback on her work. When she gets stuck on more difficult problems, the online course offers her a tip that she may take advanrage of. She is working on 4th grade math. My almost 12 year old picked Thinkwell Math for homeschoolers and is working quickly through Pre-Algebra. It is also on the computer and has entertaining lectures that teach well and includes the option of seeing problems worked out that a student misses. I love both programs and my daughters are thriving! We have never used Singapore math but I will be starting my 5 year old with it shortly. :)
Rebecca
wife to my dh for 31 years
dd 29 teaching degree
dd 26 college graduate with English degree
ds 20 2 year Associate Arts degree, working to return to college
dd 17 PSEO classes
dd 13 MtMM Fall ‘18
ds 10 Bigger Fall ‘18

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:18 am

I AM a "mathy" person and my dad taught me math much more than school did, so I really like Singapore because its similar to how I was taught. Singapore really emphasizes understanding the concepts rather than just doing a bunch of problems. I know that as with any math program, as they move up there are more helps for teacher and student to make sure they understand. Would your husband maybe be able to be more involved as your children move up in math levels? Or maybe as you go along the Singapore style will become easier for you to use as you get used to it. It was a little strange to me at first but now I really like it and I see how my daughter is really becoming intuitive about math, rather than just learning certain methods but not understanding what is behind it.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:45 pm

I pm'd you :)
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 pm

We have done both CLE and Singapore for 1st and 2nd grade. I like how CLE really gets them knowing their math facts and also provides a lot of review, especially for things like money and time, and I like how Singapore makes them think. I don't know how long we'll be able to continue this approach, but so far it has worked really well.

HTH,
Kathy