Daily guide logistics: How do you keep yours?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
julsoliveira

Daily guide logistics: How do you keep yours?

Post by julsoliveira » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 pm

How do you keep your guide/s during the day while they're being used? I've put mine in a binder so they lay flat, and sometimes lay them end to end on the back of the couch during the day lol. it works until a kid or cat knocks them over. I think I need to create a 3 guide book holder ! Maybe attached to the wall? What creative things do you do to keep your unit-day page open for the day?

lmercon

Re: Daily guide logistics: How do you keep yours?

Post by lmercon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm so high-tech, this will just blow you away! Ready for it?...................I put a paper clip on page of the day so I can easily flip the book open to the right day. Still with me? Then the next day, I move the paperclip! I warned you! :) (hehe)
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 pm

rofl! Some one asked me the other day how I put my initials on canning lids to keep track of my kids cups. I was all, "Sharpie, I've got skills" .

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Mine lays flat in the original binding on our school table. I use a red Post-It flag sticky that I move to the next day when I am done. I use smaller stickies for the Appendix items and move those as necessary. No matter what teacher manual I am using, I always use the larger red one to mark the current day's lesson.

HTH,
Kathy

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:27 pm

I use a binder clip for the day's lesson, I have tabs on the sections in the back. It lays on the kitchen table during school time with our stack of books. When ds checks off his list he usually puts the book(s) away that goes with that subject. It's all kept in the corner of the kitchen, just a few feet from the table.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 am

I have flag/tab/sticky notes (whatever I happen to have when I get a new guide) in the places where we are for each subject :shock: I have one for the page we are one for the day, one if they are in a different place in English or Math, and one for each section in the appendix that we use frequently. As well as an extra one in the Bigger guide currently marking the spot Julianna is in the Emerging Readers. They are only open while that child is doing school or I will be searching through LHFHG to find out what Independent History Jayden is supposed to be reading ;) I have to only have the guides being used open or I get all confused.

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:45 am

Sticky notes :D I use a big one to mark the day that we're on, and then tiny ones to mark each individual box as we complete it. And the guide stays closed and up high most of the time so that no sticky toddler fingers or muddy kitty paws can reach it, lol.
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 am

So what I'm hearing is that everyone just opens and closes their books as needed? I have have used A cookbook stand to keep books open at all times, but mostly just have mine out on the couch or table open to the page. I think i'm going to try to use a wall mount book with a bar to hold the guides so they are off the table and floor.

annaz

Post by annaz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm

I use one of those HUGE paper clips. They're about 3 inches long and and inch and a half wide! They're silly looking. :mrgreen:
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm

I use sticky flags, which pjdobro suggested on the board, and I have found them to work great! :D However, I am reading thinking "This gal's deepest desire is to keep that book OPEN no matter what" right? :D So, maybe you could try those BIG magnetic clips that hang on fridges usually? You could clip one on one side, and the other on the other side - and I guarantee, that guide is NOT going to be shutting on its own. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie