Placement for 12yo finishing Preparing..?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
brokenopen

Placement for 12yo finishing Preparing..?

Post by brokenopen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 am

Hi, ladies!!

We LOVE how God uses HOD as a tool in our home! We have 4 kiddos, 3 of them school age. DD7 is finishing Little Hearts and will move into Beyond, DS9 is finishing Bigger and will bump up into Preparing, and my questions are about DS12 who is in unit 22 of Preparing with extensions.....

I know we will have to eventually choose a couple of guides to skip, and am wondering about placement as he finishes this guide. I don't want him to miss important skills or that awesome sounding prophecy chart in CTC, but know I will likely have to make a jump sometime!! Is it better now or later? Is it better to just stay the course with extensions or to skip a guide?
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

my3sons

Re: Placement for 12yo finishing Preparing..?

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

So glad you are enjoying HOD - we are too! :D I don't think you have to skip, but maybe what would be best is another look at the placement chart with fresh eyes for where ds would place if you were placing him now? I'd love to hear your thoughts about that, especially with the first page of the placement chart in mind - reading, writing, grammar, and math. How is PHFHG with extensions for a fit for him right now? I think that would help too. I'll check back, and then chime in with more advice tailored to your ds! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Hmmm.... He is currently reading Bronze Bow and Beorn the Proud in the Preparing extensions, with no complaints. He is not an avid reader, but will read what is assigned and usually enjoys the material. He loves our storytime books and our read aloud time. He is in book D of Italic cursive and is writing in his common place book and doing his written narrations in cursive. He can handle a 5 sentence written narration with greater and greater ease as the year has progressed, and doesn't complain about it anymore. He is using level 3 dictation passages and is about three quarters through Rod and Staff 3 for grammar, doing most everything orally with exception of diagramming. Math has been difficult. He is in Singapore 3b. We hit a wall a while back with long division and got further behind there, working through the material slowly, but are now on schedule and pulling ahead doing 2 days of scheduled math most every school day and should finish Preparing at least a ways into 4A, possibly into 4B if he continues as he is currently and continues comprehending easily.

The skills taught in Preparing have been so very valuable to him, and I can see the way he has progressed in independence as we work through this guide. He still has trouble maintaining focus in his day. I have a checklist for each of the children's subjects, and I do have to work hardest every day to keep him on task and accountable for his work... of course he is much improved from the beginning of the year, and we still have 11 units to go! I better understand now what a transition year the Preparing guide is for children, especially since we are simultaneously going through Bigger with another child, and if CtC continues that progression, I would not want him to miss out on that equipping even if he does place higher. Just looking at the chart, however, i would probably place him higher, but unsure of Res to Ref or Rev to Rev.
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Not sure I that I answered your last question, Julie, about how Preparing with extensions fits him right now. It is a full load. Especially when you consider normal add ons, like day to day chores, church activities, and taekwondo lessons. He struggles to fit it all in some days, and we often find ourselves finishing up a rogue subject before bedtime. This is partially just due to the time constraints of Mom running two other guides and a toddler, and partially his struggle to maintain focus. The work is not the issue, it seems to be a good fit, but the ability to stay on task and to partially SELF motivate.... THAT seems to be the muscle that is growing.
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm so sorry to just be getting back to you here! Thank you for your patience - I was at convention for awhile and have just settled back to normal for a bit. Thank you so much for sharing about your ds! It sounds like he is making steady progress in all areas, that PHFHG with extensions has been a good fit, and that he has enough on his plate already. I want him to continue his steady progress, and to continue to enjoy his days without too much of a jump in work load. For this reason, I really do feel that CTC is a solid placement and a good decision for next year. I know it is very hard not to try to plan it all out through high school, but I think it best to take it one year at a time. CTC will be a great guide for ds to enjoy next year! Plus, who can miss the Ancients done HOD style? It is truly unforgettable and heart changing. :D "Write with the Best 1" provides major writing growth and is a solid foundation for the later writing curriculums to be built upon. The progression of written narrations and its helpful instruction along the way provides a good stepping stone to RTR's increased written narrations. The addition of the daily personal Bible Quiet Time partnered with the parent-led Bible Study is a good next step in spiritual training as well. The different types of oral narration practiced in the Storytime box take this skill to the next level. The addition of the CTC Student Notebook gives organizational training as well as creative outlet opportunities too. The increase in Scripture memorization, the increase in science experiments/methods difficulty, and the increase in dictation/ grammar/math skills will also be important next learning steps for ds. After your ds finishes CTC, we'll certainly talk placement for that next year again, taking it one year at a time - but for now, CTC is an excellent choice. I am excited for your ds to get to enjoying it, and for you to get to enjoying teaching it! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Thank you so very much, Julie...

It IS so hard not to plan ahead! I agree. When I looked at the jump in independence spiritually in the sample weeks, I just can't imagine him skipping a year of parent led bible study. Bible time and the associations with Grandpa's box and his other readings are the highlight of his day, and I just can't imagine a more important skill in which to be grounded. We will keep on track, and peek again next year!

I am so very thankful for how God uses HOD in our home!!!
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

Elsie

Post by Elsie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Julie,

I have a similar question about my daughter on another thread. Could you or Carrie check it out for me? Thanks!

Elsie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:41 am

brokenopen wrote:Thank you so very much, Julie...

It IS so hard not to plan ahead! I agree. When I looked at the jump in independence spiritually in the sample weeks, I just can't imagine him skipping a year of parent led bible study. Bible time and the associations with Grandpa's box and his other readings are the highlight of his day, and I just can't imagine a more important skill in which to be grounded. We will keep on track, and peek again next year!

I am so very thankful for how God uses HOD in our home!!!
Nodding in agreement here! :D Wise words - and I am so excited for you and your ds to enjoy the growth spiritually and academically in PHFHG. We'll peek again next year, but this is a solid decision and I think you have one terrific year ahead of you! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 am

Elsie wrote:Hi Julie,

I have a similar question about my daughter on another thread. Could you or Carrie check it out for me? Thanks!

Elsie
I'll look for it - I'd be glad to help! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie