Sneak Peek #11: New World Geography Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Sneak Peek #11: New World Geography Guide

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Ladies,

As I'm getting ready to wrap up the sneak peeks, I am glad to share our plan for foreign language study for high school. Our own two oldest sons have studied Greek for quite a few years, since my husband has an interest in both Greek and Hebrew in order to read God's Word in its original form. Greek is something we've done with Hey, Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek moving slowly through the levels. :D Had my hubby not instigated this study though, I don't think I would have kept up with it each year!

I will say that in today's heavily academic world, I differ with Charlotte Mason on the burning need to study multiple languages at a young age. While I do think kiddos can learn a variety languages early and with success, I also think that with the plethora of subject areas vying for our time each day, foreign language study often falls by the wayside and gets taught in fits and starts (or not at all). :wink:

As far as speakable foreign languages go, I have purchased various programs through the years and never really gotten off of the ground with any of them! This bothered me so much, for more years than I care to admit, until I finally decided this was one area upon which I could wait until my boys were older to pursue. I rationalized that they would need the credit in high school anyway, at which point they would already have an excellent foundation in English grammar (which would hopefully be a huge help to them as they studied a new language). So, to me, a solid foundation in English grammar became our most important focus in the years leading up to high school (with foreign language waiting in the wings to really take to the stage). :wink: While this may not be the case for many of you reading this sneak peek, I know it may be true for some. :D I share our background to help many of you know that it is alright to wait to study a foreign language until your children reach high school.

Originally, we did not intend to schedule any specific foreign language study in our guides, as the choice of which foreign language to study is such a personal one. :D However, with our own sons, we have found that choosing and scheduling the study of a foreign language can be pretty overwhelming, so we decided that we could at least offer an option that we have tried and had success with ourselves. With our own boys, we decided that Spanish would be a good language for them to study. This is because it is a language that is spoken quite frequently in many areas of the U.S. and is also one that is used in many other countries. It is also a language that is more like the English language, making it easier to pick up and practice. Many mission-related fields also use Spanish. :D

In looking at our boys' heavier schedules throughout high school, we also decided that a systematic approach over all 4 years of high school would be the ideal. Yet, we didn't want language study to overtake our boys' days. So, we opted to do .5 credit of language study each year of high school, earning 2 full credits of the same speakable foreign language by graduation. For families who wish to pursue a quicker pace... that can easily be accomplished simply by devoting more time to the study of a foreign language each year. :D

Our ultimate goals are that our kiddos learn to read, write, understand, and speak some Spanish. We are not expecting fluency, as being fluent in a language takes many years of serious language study. :D We believe the grammar of learning a language is very important, as is the writing of the language. This is why we have chosen an approach that incorporates these skills. :D

We believe in starting very gently with language study and in doing some work with the language daily (during the days school is scheduled). :D Our hope is that studying a foreign language will be a joy-filled, exciting experience (with a desire to learn more), rather than a frustrating experience where too much vocabulary is introduced too quickly to really be internalized. :D

With this in mind, we will schedule Getting Started with Spanish by Linney daily in the World Geography guide. The lessons are short and include free audios for help with pronunciation on the author's website. The text was written for homeschool settings and gets students reading, writing, and speaking some Spanish right away. :D It is worth .5 credit in Spanish, when used with the audios or when used with pronunciation practice with an adult who has a little bit of Spanish experience. :D The course requires no previous Spanish experience for the student, is economic, easy-to-use, and includes an answer key in the back. :D It is not an intensive program for the parent and is written directly to the student. Our own oldest son thoroughly enjoyed the course and went on to a different Spanish program easily. He is requesting to take Spanish at college. :D

Here is the course description from the publisher:
Getting Started with Spanish: Beginning Spanish for Homeschoolers and Self-Taught Students of Any Age is a book that teaches beginning Spanish gradually yet systematically. This unique method was designed specifically to help homeschooled and self-taught students overcome the obstacles they face when studying Spanish at home. In each lesson, after learning something new, you can immediately apply what you've learned by translating the fun practice sentences. Download the free MP3 files that accompany the book and listen to a native speaker (co-author Antonio Orta) pronounce all the exercises. As you practice speaking and understanding spoken Spanish, refer to the answer key in the back if you get stuck. For additional help and instruction, the authors have provided extensive audio commentary recordings that teach through every lesson and exercise in the book. Everything you need is here in one book, so what's stopping you from Getting Started with Spanish?

Link to see inside: http://www.gettingstartedwithspanish.com/preview01.php

If you do not desire to take Spanish, or if you already have experience in Spanish beyond the level of this course, then you can easily use your own foreign language option instead. :D This is definitely an area that is personal and may differ for each student! We just wanted to offer our own thoughts and a possible plan for families to follow who may desire an approach similar to what I've outlined above. :D It appears that the author is also working on a Getting Started With French, which could be an alternate option. He does have a Getting Started with Latin as well. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

daybreaking

Re: Sneak Peek #11: New World Geography Guide

Post by daybreaking » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Thank you for this sneak peek, Carrie. Even though we're years away from this guide, it was very helpful to read your plans. I also appreciate having some of the guilt removed from my not having my 4th grader learning French or Spanish this year! :)

On a side note, I see such a push about the importance of learning Latin (mainly in classical education programs), that I feel quite a lot of pressure to add it in. I was curious if you ever had (or plan to have) your boys learn Latin.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 pm

I like what I see of this book. What will you/did you follow up with for your son for the next .5 credit of Spanish?
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Carrie, we've had the same experience as you with the area of foreign language. I really hope the company gets their French curriculum ready before we start the geography guide. We have MTMM this coming school year, and geography for 2014-15. DD has a great interest in French, and our church has a sister church in Africa that uses French for missionary work. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 am

Ladies,

I am so glad that you are interested in our plan for foreign language study. :D In answer to your questions, we are leaning toward the possibility of including Getting Started with Latin as one option within our World History guide. The reason for this is that Latin is at the root of many English words, and some knowledge of latin prefixes/roots/suffixes is helpful in language study. We will not have any firm decision on this until next year, as the Latin is one area we are pondering along with many others for possible inclusion in the World History guide. Should we decide to include Latin, it is likely it would be just the one-year exposure. :D

As far as Linney's French goes, he updated his website this March to say work is progressing on it, so I'm thinking it should be done when you need it, Heather. :D

As far as what to use after Getting Started with Spanish, we have gone a very traditional route that we are liking so far with our oldest son but want more time to utilize it (at least one more school year) before making recommendations. :D We love to try things extensively before recommending them to others. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks Carrie!! I saw the update on their site and we are really excited!! I LOVE that you will have it planned out each week, because we almost always seem to get everything done that YOU schedule (in the boxes), but on our own, we haven't been able to be as consistent with foreign language as we'd like. :) Now, I have confidence that it should get done consistently and regularly!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:08 am

I really love the idea of a half credit of Latin, just for the exposure and the help in understanding the English language.

THanks for the sneak peek, Carrie, and for all the hard work you and your family do to produce HOD materials. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi Carrie,

Would the Latin in the World History guide be in addition to another .5 credit of Spanish or in place of? We have to have 2 credits of the same language, so I wanted to clarify what you were thinking.

Thanks,
Kathy

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am

Kathy,

Good question! :D The Latin would be an option in addition to the .5 credit of Spanish. If we do go the route of offering Linney's Latin in the World History guide (due out in 2014) it would be an option, rather than required, as the focus has to be upon the 2 full credits of the same language required for graduation (or college entrance) in almost every state. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Carrie! :D

Kathy

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:07 am

Thank you for sharing about the Latin inclusion in the later guide. It is nice being able to know that will be an option. I've always wanted to take a stab at Latin with the girls, and until all the high school credit research of late I had never heard of Linney's materials. My 13yo and I skimmed over them, and it does look like doing Latin alongside another language would be doable with his method/approach. I do wish that Linney had more languages available at this time. It's nice when you find a good thing that leaves you clammoring for more! :D

We are opting to start with German for many reasons here. I waited for this sneak peak before buying those materials, though. My dd has proclaimed that she would like to learn all languages, so when it comes time to do Spanish we will do our intro with Linney! :) My dd's path right now is German for 2 years, and then while she progresses further in that to add in French (and by that time Linney's French should be out). My younger two girls are also wanting to learn German. I am sure they will pick up some of the language from the oldest practicing on everyone. I'll have to decide what more to do with them. Their goal is to be able to surprise a family friend from Germany and speak in conversational German as best they can to her when we see her again in the next year or two. She lived with us for an entire summer 4 years ago.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

homeforhim

Post by homeforhim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Just wanted to pop in to say that we have been using Linney's Getting Started with Latin this year and are extremely pleased with it. I do it (I never studied Latin) along with my 11 year old son (I am in Canada and we begin French in grade 3 typically and so have been doing foreign language for a bit). We both love it because it is so simple and is done so quickly and yet you really do retain what you are learning. It is a very gentle approach. The French and Spanish should be equally good as they are likely based on the same methodology. Just wanted to encourage people that they will really enjoy his courses! :D

Also, I have always been scared to tackle Latin and most programs make me wince when I look at them. You end up with such a "I can do this" attitude that it makes you believe you really could go on to more advanced work and be successful. We are on lesson 53 now. I must say also that the grammar training through Rod and Staff that we have done following HOD has made the occasional reference to grammatical terms something familiar instead of foreign. :D

Blessings,
Rachael
DS 15 M2MM
DS 12 M2MM
Enjoyed Preparing, CTC, Res2Ref, & Rev2Rev