I'm *almost* ready to place my order...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

I'm *almost* ready to place my order...

Post by krazzymommy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 pm

I feel peace about using HOD next year. I've got everything picked out I want and just had another substitution question. Can you only substitute literature-type books, or can you do anything that HOD sells (assuming it is equal or lesser value). For example, say I have a history book from the economy package - can I substitute a Singapore math book in it's place? Or would it need to be a literature style book? I was going to probably call tomorrow to ask if I didn't hear from someone on here today.

Thanks, can't wait to order!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

my3sons

Re: I'm *almost* ready to place my order...

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:04 pm

You can substitute anything that is of equal or lesser value - anything at all! :D HTH, and happy ordering!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 pm

ohhhhh....fun! Thanks, Julie!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:17 pm

my3sons wrote:You can substitute anything that is of equal or lesser value - anything at all! :D HTH, and happy ordering!

In Christ,
Julie

Thank you! I wanted to know that answer too. I'm also wondering how complicated it will be to try to do the substitutions if it's being ordered through a public school. I'm not sure if that will be more hassle than they're willing to do.

As of right now, I did open enroll my children. HOD is approved as "substantial enough" to be used as core curriculum, and b/c they accept purchase orders, the school will order from them. However, I'll have to reimburse the school for the guide book, Bible study books, and possibly a few other titles.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm

I ordered substitutions and it wasn't a problem at all. No questions asked. I thought maybe they would cal to clarify or double check, but no phone call. The HUGE box came today and all was as requested!
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 pm

I actually did talk with Mike this morning as I had some other questions and just wanted to double-clarify as it was a big difference in money I'll be saving by substituting. He was SO helpful, and their substitution policy is amazing. Glad to hear of other positive experiences!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC