A Noble Experiment

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

A Noble Experiment

Post by deltagal » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:34 pm

I like Carrie's idea of using this book to provide credit for govt. with Rev to Rev.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11256&p=81762&hilit ... ent#p81757
For those of you who have gone this route are you using just the book or other resources, as well. How often do you schedule it and how much? I'm looking for simple. Simple. Simple.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

beverett

Re: A Noble Experiment

Post by beverett » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Florence,
We are about to start it, so we have not actually used it yet and will be interested to see what anyone else says...but this is what we are planning. I ordered the set from Christian books that came with the DVD's, the student work text and the teacher resource cd rom. From what I can tell you really need all 3. The student uses the workbook and DVDS each lesson and you would need the teacher cd rom to check their work and have an idea of what is going on ( I would think- unless you had time to actually do the coarse with student). In the front of the student workbook there is a coarse outline/syllabus. It has 3 lessons scheduled per week for a duration of 16 weeks. I think I remember where Carrie said that if you wanted to you could even spread it out over the coarse of the year by doing less lessons each week. We will be doing the 3 per week. I hope this helps some :D !
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Brandi,

That's very helpful. I had the impression that Carrie spent less time each week/session and worked on it the entire year. That's the route I would like to go.

Any idea how long each session is when you use the 16 week plan?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:05 am

We are really liking this--and I have NEVER said that about government before! We started out the year with the 5,000 Year Leap, but it just wasn't getting done. We liked the book, but we do better accomplishing subjects that have a short video segments. We started later in the year, so we are doing three lessons a week. The videos are between 6 and 23 minutes. It seems like most days we have a video segment, but we just went three days without. She has had to memorize a couple of sections (one was the Preamble). There are lots of quizzes and tests which I actually like because it keeps her on top of the reading and material. I don't think she spends that much extra time on it, but I have not timed it. She was behind the other day and spent an hour (no video). That is by far the longest she has worked on it. It coincides well with the Signers book and the other government that has been covered in REV2REV. I will be using this again!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.